Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Beast (Patrick Swayze) -- Season/Series Finale? -- "No Turning Back" -- 4/23/09

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Beast (Patrick Swayze) -- Season/Series Finale? -- "No Turning Back" -- 4/23/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The Beast

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Barker gets a break in a case he's followed his entire career, but never put to rest. He gets a list of six people involved in the crime, and he tries to find them before they find him.

Well, this is it. Episode 13 and probably the last episode of the series since Swayze is probably not returning and the ratings have been shit (300K a week average)

For those who have been watching, what have you thought of the show? I think this was a very good and underrated show. I think if you are a fan of Swayze, then you would have been very pleased. Looking forward to seeing how it ends.
Old 04-23-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Beast (Patrick Swayze) -- Season/Series Finale? -- "No Turning Back" -- 4/23/

I dug the show. It started slow and had some regular 'cop' stories that I didnt think the FBI would be a part of. It has gotten real good though and the finale looks awesome. Cant wait!
Old 04-23-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: The Beast (Patrick Swayze) -- Season/Series Finale? -- "No Turning Back" -- 4/23/

I watched the first few and enjoyed it, but it got lost for me with so much on thursday nights. I will get the DVD though to finish it.
Old 04-23-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by stingermck
I watched the first few and enjoyed it, but it got lost for me with so much on thursday nights. I will get the DVD though to finish it.
Yeah I can see how this would get lost in the shuflle on Thursday nights. There is simply way too much on.
Old 04-23-09, 07:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

if Swayze croaks, they could recast with Harry Hamlin... they practically look the same.
Old 04-23-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

For some reason my tivo thinks last weeks show is on tonight instead of this one. will be sure to get it recorded though.
Old 04-23-09, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the first 4 or 5 eps, but the young sidekick was too distracting. He's got a little more acting skill than Dexter's sister, but not much. And she bad.
Old 04-23-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

My only complaint about Barker's partner is the writer's trying to give him a love interest, which was pointless IMO and also making him more or less a mini Barker. And he looked like a Jackass doing so. They have shown some glimpses of a Man in conflict which I have liked. Also, Larry Gilliard was grossly underused.

I looked at Travis Fimmel's resume and this is his 1st high profile role in a very young career. I was surprised to see that he's also an Aussie.
Old 04-24-09, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The final episode: Very satisfying. They wrapped up the main story arc, though it's a shame we won't get to see the repercussions of Barker exposing Red Gauntlet. It stretched credulity that the girl survived the car bomb, but no big deal. (And Red Gauntlet is a badass name for an operation).

Series as a whole: I thought it started off kind of weak, but got better each week and became one of my favorite shows. Swayze was terrific and I liked the way they used Chicago to flavor the show; great cinematography. I hope it gets a DVD release.
Old 04-24-09, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Some interesting news about what lies ahead for this show:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Beast-Se...e-1005393.aspx

The Beast's season finale airs Thursday (10 pm/ET, A&E,), but whether it's also the series finale of the Patrick Swayze drama remains to be seen.

Nothing has been decided about the fate of the show, in which Swayze plays an undercover FBI agent, a series rep says. Any decision, of course, relies on the more important fate of the show's star, who has battled pancreatic cancer since early last year.

"As has been the case from day one, it is all about Patrick — in a lot of ways," A&E President Bob DeBitetto recently told the Associated Press. "It is about his condition, and when and whether he would be up for another grueling production schedule.

Swayze learned soon after the show's pilot was shot that he had the disease. But he was determined to shoot the first season, despite the physical demands of the role. Co-star Travis Fimmel told TVGuide.com in January: "He's such a man. The sickest thing about him on-set is probably his jokes."

Since them, paparazzi have captured images of the actor looking thin and tired. But his Ghost co-star, Whoopi Goldberg, recently told Us that the actor is still "busy as hell."

"He's kicking butt," she said. "And, you know, he's sick. And he, like the rest of us, doesn't know when it's going to happen — because it will happen, that he is going to go — but he doesn't know when or where."

"His attitude is, why wait for it to happen? So he's busy as hell."
Old 06-17-09, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I don't think this comes as much of a shock, but The Beast will not be back for a second season:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2009...yze-beast.html

Patrick Swayze's police drama The Beast will not be renewed for a second season, U.S. network A&E has announced.

Swayze, who is suffering from pancreatic cancer, made 13 episodes of the series, starring as a veteran FBI agent in Chicago.

Swayze kept shooting the series despite undergoing chemotherapy that he described as "hell on wheels."

A&E president Bob DeBitetto, quoted in the Hollywood Reporter, said Swayze's work on the show was "an inspiration to us all" and the series "has truly been a labour of love for everyone."

The series, which drew an average audience of about 1.3 million viewers per episode, was not deemed to be a ratings hit.

Swayze, best known for roles in the films Dirty Dancing, Ghost and Road House, is currently writing his memoirs.

Now 56, he has acknowledged publicly that he may have less than two years to live.