Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica -- "Daybreak Parts 2 & 3" -- 03/20/2009 -- Series Finale

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: Battlestar Galactica -- "Daybreak Parts 2 & 3" -- 03/20/2009 -- Series Finale

I was home sick yesterday and was able to stay upright long enough to watch this. I've been digesting my feelings since then, and while I think I need another viewing, I'm definitely coming down on the "liked it" side of this.

I guess I was expecting something "grander", but I realize now that's not the point. The "grand" things have been happening all along, and now they get to lay down their burdens (narf) and finally get some rest.

As for the head characters (and even Kara Thrace), anything more complicated than "angels" would have come across as Trek-style technobabble, and that's the last thing this needed.

My wife has expressed an interesting in finally watching this show once we get all the DVDs and I'm glad there's a good goal to share with her now.
Old 03-26-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Battlestar Galactica -- "Daybreak Parts 2 & 3" -- 03/20/2009 -- Series Finale

Originally Posted by DJariya
Question about Battlestar Galactica: The Plan. Does that take place between season 1 and 2? I know Razor, the previous stand alone movie, took place between 2 and 3, even though it was considered episode 1 and 2 of this season.
From what I've heard, it occurs from the miniseries to the end of season 2. So it will take place during the events we've already seen, but from the Cylons' perspective.
Old 03-26-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe Cavil shot himself with the hope that enough data had been downloaded before Tyrol pulled his hand out of the water that he would be resurrected. Or whatever data was missing could be figured out by his comrades.
Old 03-26-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think that jives very well. If Cavil had the power to resurrect he would have just went around shooting people until someone took him. Killing him would have no meaning, so there would be no reason to off himself even if out gunned. Cavil looked like he was finishing his life as if his life had meaning and he didn't want the humans to take it. He was dying on his own terms.

I also see no reason to believe they could setup resurrection in seconds or minutes. They have been trying to create it on their own for years. When they had it they still needed the final five to make sense of it. They had the technology for decades but they couldn't recreate it when destroyed. To me that suggest they probably would have spent next couple of years going over the details without the direct help of the 5.
Old 03-27-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Maybe Cavil shot himself with the hope that enough data had been downloaded before Tyrol pulled his hand out of the water that he would be resurrected. Or whatever data was missing could be figured out by his comrades.
They hoping for the information to recreate resurrection technology, simply having that information would not resurrect them. They would need to use the information to rebuild a resurrection hub.
Old 03-29-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I finally watched the finale and I have a few questions. I know I came late to the party but I don't feel up to reading the 10 pages of this thread so forgive me if any, or all, of these points have already been discussed.

Kara Thrace: WTF was she? And please Mr. Moore, don't tell me she was an angel.

Caprica Six/Gaius Baltar: So Cylons don't age; that's the only way to explain Six's presence on modern day Earth. But what about Baltar? So he's a Cylon too? Is he the recently introduced (to me anyway) "damaged" seventh model Daniel?

Cavil: Why on Earth did he shoot himself? It doesn't make any sense. He's been master-minding the endgame for a long time and as soon as things go a little awry, he blows his brains out? I just don't get it.

150,000 Years Ago? Really? So "All Along The Watchtower" was written more than 150,000 years ago? Wow. Bob Dylan has some 'splainin to do. Maybe he's a Cylon? English was invented more than 150,000 years ago? Those thieving Anglo-Saxon bastards! And I guess all the technology we use today (remarkably similar to that of Galactica) has been invented by Cylons who continue to live amongst us?

(BTW, I don't know if it's been discussed but that news item on "Mitochondrial Eve" is actually real.)

Paper: Ron Moore has gone on record as saying that he would explain why all paper in the Galactica universe has its corners clipped. Unless I missed something, I did not find an explanation for this.

And finally, God: So who is this god who does not like to be called "God" that Six and Baltar alluded to in the last scene? A god who can create a planet full of genetically compatible beings on a planet a "million light-years away". Ron Moore? Talk about pulling a Deus Ex Machina out of your ass!

(And BTW, that number is totally bogus. Our galaxy is about 100,000 LY across and the nearest galaxy is about 2 million LY away. So nothing can be ONE million LY away unless it was a solitary planet in the inter-galactic emptiness of space. I don't think so.)

Sorry but I'd have to say that Moore & Co. failed miserably in providing believable and interesting answers to Galactica's mysteries. In the end, he basically resorted to the oldest and easiest trick in a hack writer's book -- Deus Ex Machina -- to explain everything.
Old 03-29-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
Caprica Six/Gaius Baltar: So Cylons don't age; that's the only way to explain Six's presence on modern day Earth. But what about Baltar? So he's a Cylon too? Is he the recently introduced (to me anyway) "damaged" seventh model Daniel?
That wasn't the actual Six and Baltar at the end there. Those were the characters that each were of them were seeing through out the series.

Cavil: Why on Earth did he shoot himself? It doesn't make any sense. He's been master-minding the endgame for a long time and as soon as things go a little awry, he blows his brains out? I just don't get it.
Cavil was done, he would rather go out on his own terms then be captured and or killed by the humans. He wasn't going to get out of that situation that he was in.
Old 03-29-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the first show that I am really going to miss. I loved the characters in this show.
Old 03-29-09, 04:59 PM

Paper: Ron Moore has gone on record as saying that he would explain why all paper in the Galactica universe has its corners clipped. Unless I missed something, I did not find an explanation for this.
I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere it was just a joke the production crew had about "cutting corners" on the shows budget.
Old 03-29-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My interpretation was that Kara was an angel at the end, as were Baltar and Caprica 6 (the ones who kept showing up in the minds of Baltar / Caprica 6).
Old 03-29-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
My interpretation was that Kara was an angel at the end, as were Baltar and Caprica 6 (the ones who kept showing up in the minds of Baltar / Caprica 6).
I just watched it and really liked it. But I would say:

Kara--she was Kara's "unrested" spirit at the end. And once she completed Kara's mission, making sure Kara's one desire--to be remembered--was complete, she disappeared.

Baltar and 6 at the end--I guess you could call them angels, but I got the idea they were the gods playing with the civilizations, based on their talk at the end. When they called God, "God," Baltar said It didn't like that--giving us the idea that he was a force greater than mere gods like Baltar and 6.

But anyway you interpret all this, I think it was a nice and fitting ending to a good series. Very enjoyable when a series ends right and gives all the characters their due rest.
Old 03-29-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Well, I finally watched the finale and I have a few questions. I know I came late to the party but I don't feel up to reading the 10 pages of this thread so forgive me if any, or all, of these points have already been discussed.

150,000 Years Ago? Really? So "All Along The Watchtower" was written more than 150,000 years ago? Wow. Bob Dylan has some 'splainin to do. Maybe he's a Cylon? English was invented more than 150,000 years ago? Those thieving Anglo-Saxon bastards! And I guess all the technology we use today (remarkably similar to that of Galactica) has been invented by Cylons who continue to live amongst us?

(BTW, I don't know if it's been discussed but that news item on "Mitochondrial Eve" is actually real.)

And finally, God: So who is this god who does not like to be called "God" that Six and Baltar alluded to in the last scene? A god who can create a planet full of genetically compatible beings on a planet a "million light-years away". Ron Moore? Talk about pulling a Deus Ex Machina out of your ass!

(And BTW, that number is totally bogus. Our galaxy is about 100,000 LY across and the nearest galaxy is about 2 million LY away. So nothing can be ONE million LY away unless it was a solitary planet in the inter-galactic emptiness of space. I don't think so.)

Sorry but I'd have to say that Moore & Co. failed miserably in providing believable and interesting answers to Galactica's mysteries. In the end, he basically resorted to the oldest and easiest trick in a hack writer's book -- Deus Ex Machina -- to explain everything.
Pretty much all of your points are addressed in the thread. I suggest you read it rather than expect people to rehash their answers for you.
Old 03-30-09, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Kara--she was Kara's "unrested" spirit at the end. And once she completed Kara's mission, making sure Kara's one desire--to be remembered--was complete, she disappeared.
I like that explanation better than the "angel" one! Angels don't have free will and Kara certainly did!

Baltar and 6 at the end--I guess you could call them angels, but I got the idea they were the gods playing with the civilizations, based on their talk at the end. When they called God, "God," Baltar said It didn't like that--giving us the idea that he was a force greater than mere gods like Baltar and 6.
I like that analysis too! Makes more sense than anything else I've heard or tried to come up with!
Old 03-30-09, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

In an interview Ron Moore said he never really came up with a concrete answer for what Starbuck was, although, he said maybe she's like a messiah with the whole resurection and all. But in the end she whatever you want her to be.

The Six and Baltar on present day Earth are angels (the head characters).

Cavil shot himself because it was over and he was never getting resurection back.

The 150,000 years later seemed to be just for the Hera=Mitochondrial Eve connection.

Nobody cares about the damn paper. They probably just did because it was different.

The "God" that Baltar and Six were talking about was the cylons' one true God. And Baltar saying it didn't like to be called that is just an interesting yet vague characteristic of the God in the BSG universe. And with the "head characters" being agents of God I guess we're suppose to believe that it had a plan and guided the characters and events to play out as they did.
Old 03-30-09, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
But I still don't get it. If she was an angel, was she always one or only after she "died" on Earth during her recon mission there near the end of Season 3? Even if she was living first, and then became an angel, how did she interact with the physical world around her? Virtual 6 didn't have a physical presence, yet Virtual Kara was able to fly a Viper? And while V6 could only be seen by Gaius (and similarly Virtual Gaius by Caprica 6), Virtual Kara was able to be seen by everybody?

I guess we know conclusively that Kara wasn't a Vorlon - being seen by so many at once would have been a great strain.
Old 03-30-09, 08:12 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
But I still don't get it. If she was an angel, was she always one or only after she "died" on Earth during her recon mission there near the end of Season 3? Even if she was living first, and then became an angel, how did she interact with the physical world around her? Virtual 6 didn't have a physical presence, yet Virtual Kara was able to fly a Viper? And while V6 could only be seen by Gaius (and similarly Virtual Gaius by Caprica 6), Virtual Kara was able to be seen by everybody?

I guess we know conclusively that Kara wasn't a Vorlon - being seen by so many at once would have been a great strain.
some sort of "higer power" resurrected Kara to play out her role in the repeating destiny of mankind. don't think too much more of it than that... you'll just be wasting your time. R Moore even said so.
Old 03-30-09, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Nobody cares about the damn paper. They probably just did because it was different.
I could have sworn they already explained this years ago. They just did the paper thing to show that this was a foreign world, with little differences.
Old 03-30-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
some sort of "higer power" resurrected Kara to play out her role in the repeating destiny of mankind. don't think too much more of it than that... you'll just be wasting your time. R Moore even said so.
I think that was the true solved mystery of the show. Does God exist?

Yes, and from there everything cascades down. God's plan was carried out by its agents: Kara, Baltar and Six. At least that is what I got from it.
Old 03-30-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz

Read my post again and you'll see what I'm saying. I disagree that Kara was an angel. I believe she was, after she died finding earth, simply Kara's unrested spirit, able to interact as though she were flesh and blood. She was different than Virtual Baltar and Virtual 6. She was unrested, as shown by the flashbacks because she didn't get to complete her ultimate mission: to be remembered for something. Really, that's what all the flashbacks showed were how each main character got what they wanted despite, or because of, all the turmoil that happened.

I believe Virtual Baltar and Virtual 6 weren't angels, either, but supposed to be gods playing with the worlds of humans and Cylons. Remember, Virtual 6 started all this trouble by getting the defense codes from real Baltar. I believe the final conversation between Virtual Baltar and 6 confirmed this and that they served a higher power, greater than gods, called "It" by Virtual Baltar at the end.

Also remember, real Baltar is the one who put it in everyone's heads that they were angels--but even he said in his final speech that they were angels or "something." I really think the writer was hinting at the fact that they weren't angels in the traditional sense.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 03-30-09 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

What do you mean "virtual 6 started all of this trouble by getting the defense codes"? Real "Caprica 6" was the one who did that.
Old 03-30-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
That wasn't the actual Six and Baltar at the end there. Those were the characters that each were of them were seeing through out the series.
Ah -- well that makes more sense. I guess. Although it certainly wasn't made clear.

So, Moore had to invoke the intervention of three Angels as well as the intervention of the Lord God Almighty Himself in order to finish his story? Wow.

I always thought he might "pay homage" to Isaac Asimov in the finale and use a Second Foundation Trantor-like planet as the resolution to this series. A seemingly backwards pastoral planet on the surface but in reality the repository of all of man's knowledge and home to a brand of highly evolved (intelligence/psi) humans. Humans who have concentrated on understanding the social sciences very well rather than the physical sciences. These humans being the actual puppeteers who have been manipulating events to ensure humanity's ultimate survival. I think this would have been a far more interesting end to the series. After all, if you're going to invoke a God-like figure, you could do far worse than Hari Seldon.

Last edited by Flave; 03-30-09 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Ah -- well that makes more sense. I guess. Although it certainly wasn't made clear.
The fact they were wearing the same clothes wasn't clear enough?
Old 03-30-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
The fact they were wearing the same clothes wasn't clear enough?
Six always wore dresses like that. And I don't think I've ever seeing Gaius with that pinstripe suit. So WTF?
Old 03-30-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Six always wore dresses like that. And I don't think I've ever seeing Gaius with that pinstripe suit. So WTF?
Head Six always wore dresses like that, Caprica Six since she blew up on Caprica never wore anything like that.
Old 03-30-09, 02:52 PM

Head Six is the only one who wore a red dress and she wore it throughout the entire run of the series. Head Gaius wore the pinstripe suit from his very first appearance.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.