Reload this Page >

Where are the Power Rangers?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-18-09, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Last year, "Power Rangers Jungle Fury" ran on Toon Disney. Toon Disney is now Disney XD (Extreme Digital) and the Power Rangers are nowhere to be found on their schedule. A Google search only turned up an assertion on someone's blog that the new PR season will be called Power Rangers RPM, but gave no indication when or where it would shown.

Anyone know anything about the new Power Rangers season and what station will be showing it?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-09, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Where are the Power Rangers?

Well I hope you find it fast, because IMDB is reporting that Power Rangers has been cancelled after 17 years. This season is supposed to be the last.
Old 03-18-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

It's on ABC, on Saturday mornings. Don't ask me how I know. Also if you like that, give Kamen Rider Dragon Knight a try.
Old 03-18-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Disneyboy
Well I hope you find it fast, because IMDB is reporting that Power Rangers has been cancelled after 17 years. This season is supposed to be the last.
Are they still making sentai shows in Japan, or did they finally get tired of those too?
Old 03-18-09, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So Toon Disney is no more? WTF? That's lame.
Old 03-19-09, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

there are ninja rangers, space rangers, power rangers, jungle rangers, time rangers, mystic ranagers, police rangers, samurai rangers and ummm that is all I can recall off the top of my head.

Ideas for future rangers
cowboy rangers
robot rangers
kid rangers
net rangers
evil rangers (where the monsters are the good guys)
angel rangers
dino rangers (wait did they do this)
dead rangers (they fight monsters from the dead)
music rangers (a rap ranger, a rock ranger, country ranger etc)
animated rangers
sports rangers
race rangers (race cars not different races)
rescue rangers (they'll have rescue vehicles that transform)
Old 03-19-09, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Huh. 17 years? Really? Can't be that long for the "American" Power Rangers. If so then I'm much older then I realize.
Old 03-19-09, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Timber
Huh. 17 years? Really? Can't be that long for the "American" Power Rangers. If so then I'm much older then I realize.
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers debuted in 1993. 16 years ago in America. Crap, I suddenly feel very old.
Old 03-19-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Yeah, I started college in fall of 92 and we would watch them in the common rooms of the dorms in the afternoon. Back then they were more on the campy side and didn't take themselves too seriously. Heck, a group of us even saw the first movie in the theater and had a good time. I still have the soundtrack album also, which has some decent tracks.
Old 03-19-09, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The show is scheduled to be part of the Saturday morning Disney lineup on ABC. Unfortunately, many stations pre-empt the show for something else, so most of us never see the shows scheduled for 11AM. The affiliate in Baltmore moved the show to 5AM on Saturday, and it isn't shown in the DC Metro area at all.
Old 03-19-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Power Rangers ended when the original Pink Ranger left. Everything after doesn't count for me.
I a remember a little about the first cast and the first movie, but thats about it. The last time I have read anything about the MMPR is when they original girl who played the yellow ranger died.
Old 03-19-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
give Kamen Rider Dragon Knight a try.
Y'know.. I tried watching it, but having grown up with the original version of Kamen Rider V3, I just can't get into it.
Old 03-19-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I a remember a little about the first cast and the first movie, but thats about it. The last time I have read anything about the MMPR is when they original girl who played the yellow ranger died.
Amy Jo Johnson

and Trini died? I never knew that...
Old 03-19-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Y'know.. I tried watching it, but having grown up with the original version of Kamen Rider V3, I just can't get into it.
Did you get the Kamen Rider V3 set? Expensive, but awesome, if only from a pure nostalgia factor. Unfortunately, I think Inazuman was better in my childhood memories...

I'm just glad Dragon Knight is better than the horrid Masked Rider that came out years ago and (I thought) pretty much killed any hope of Kamen Rider taking off here. Of course, with PR supposedly going away soon, I doubt Kamen Rider will find a foothold.

And yes, they're still making sentai shows in Japan, it's been such a staple there for so long (Goranger in 1975) along with Tokukatsu in general.. I can't imagine the Japanese going without Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, etc.
Old 03-19-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did you get the Kamen Rider V3 set? Expensive, but awesome, if only from a pure nostalgia factor. Unfortunately, I think Inazuman was better in my childhood memories...

I'm just glad Dragon Knight is better than the horrid Masked Rider that came out years ago and (I thought) pretty much killed any hope of Kamen Rider taking off here. Of course, with PR supposedly going away soon, I doubt Kamen Rider will find a foothold.

And yes, they're still making sentai shows in Japan, it's been such a staple there for so long (Goranger in 1975) along with Tokukatsu in general.. I can't imagine the Japanese going without Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, etc.
I really want to get the set and eventhough it seems expensive, given how many episodes there are, it's not that much. But still out of my reach for a awhile. I still haven't completed my Kikaida set. And have no interest in Kikaida 01, but I dug the 4 Hakaiders. I did watch Go Rangers, Battle Fever J, Zaboga, Inazuman and Diamond Eye and I have a few episodes of Rainbow Man on VHS.
Old 03-19-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I really want to get the set and eventhough it seems expensive, given how many episodes there are, it's not that much. But still out of my reach for a awhile. I still haven't completed my Kikaida set. And have no interest in Kikaida 01, but I dug the 4 Hakaiders. I did watch Go Rangers, Battle Fever J, Zaboga, Inazuman and Diamond Eye and I have a few episodes of Rainbow Man on VHS.
Ha... I think I have a few episodes of Battle Fever J on Beta somewhere...
Old 03-20-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to Sikegrad's suggestion, I checked the WABC-TV schedule for tomorrow (Sat. March 21) and--lo and beholdl!--there it is: two episodes of Power Rangers RPM from 12PM-1PM. Now I have to figure out how many episodes I missed.
Old 03-20-09, 10:47 AM

I think you just missed 2 weeks worth. It just recently started.
My kids didn't like this one well enough to create a season pass for it. We haven't been watching it.
Old 03-20-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is an odd sentai season... I haven't seen the American version yet, but this one has anthropomorphic "zords" which I think is a first.
Old 03-20-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03102009...ers_158807.htm

LIGHTS OUT FOR 'POWER RANGERS'
March 10, 2009

THE plug has been pulled on the once-mighty "Power Rangers."

After 17 years, Disney has stopped producing new episodes of the show that was a pop-culture touchstone of the '90s.

Apparently, the five color-coded superheroes - Green Ranger, Red Ranger, Blue Ranger, etc. - are still selling a lot of toys, but have become passé as a TV show.

There was no official word from Disney, which owns the show. But the cast and crew were informed this week that the show has been dropped, according to reports in the local papers in New Zealand, where the series has been produced since 2003.

The show will likely still be on the air for some time - in repeats. But no new ones will be made.

The series, about superheroes who can don and doff their costumes instantaneously to fight the bad guys, was based on a Japanese series.

It began as "The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" on Saturday mornings on Fox in 1993 and moved to ABC and Disney's kids cable channels in 2003.

The show, while hardly controversial, did have its detractors.

Some local stations dropped it from their Saturday morning lineups in 2006 when the FCC said the rock-'em-sock-'em series did not comply with government requirements to air a certain number of hours of educational programming each week.
Old 03-20-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that's too bad. But I can't say I didn't see it coming. Disney not putting it on their ToonDisney-turned-DisneyXD channel is a clear sign of abandonment. Also, ever since Saban sold the franchise to ABC Family Channel (subsequently taken over by Disney) and they moved the production to New Zealand, starting with "Ninja Storm" in 2003, it had a distancing effect on the series. It wasn't Japanese and it wasn't American. It was something different, but not as good. I loved how the original MMPR was almost a perfect hybrid, with the Angel Grove scenes being pure cornball Americana and the action scenes being pure Japanese tokusatsu.

I liked some of the New Zealand seasons, esp. the one with Jason David Frank returning as "Dr. Thomas Oliver" (Dino Thunder) and the "S.P.D." season that had all the badasses in the group, including the dreadlocked Red Ranger; a butch Blue Ranger; a hot blonde who looked like a young Pam Anderson; and a goofball who looked like Eric Bogosian. In fact, I daresay those were the last two seasons I liked.

And my local Japanese video store stopped carrying the sentai seasons after Gekiranger finished. Oh well...
Old 03-20-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some local stations dropped it from their Saturday morning lineups in 2006 when the FCC said the rock-'em-sock-'em series did not comply with government requirements to air a certain number of hours of educational programming each week.
This doesn't make sense to me, is it just worded incorrectly? The wording implies that these stations initially thought that MMPR would help them fulfill their educational programming requirements?
Old 03-20-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They come on in Los Angeles on Saturday morning on the ABC station channel 7
Old 03-20-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Power Rangers ended when the original Pink Ranger left. Everything after doesn't count for me.
Shame Kat was
Old 03-22-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I’m not too far behind. WABC ran episodes #3 and #4 of PR RPM yesterday and I watched them. I was about to write this series off by the middle of the second of the two episodes when in came an attractive high-kicking villainess, Tenaya 7 (short for “Tenaya Generation 7, Venjix Human Infiltration Attack Bot”), played by Aussie actress Adelaide Kane, a real cutie. She definitely perked things up. Also, the annoying comedy relief character, Ziggy, became the fifth ranger--Green--much to everyone’s surprise. Which means he’ll be in costume more and somewhat less annoying. So, I’ll give it a chance. The effects and action were nice, although I don’t really like that hyperactive editing of fight scenes.

Also, since I’d never seen any episodes of the Japanese original, “Engine Sentai Go-Onger,” I put in the only example I have of that series, the 34-minute movie version, “Engine Sentai Go-Onger: Bunbun Banban! Gekijo Bang!!” It has no subtitles, but it’s so filled with cool stuff that I never felt at a loss. The Rangers (7 of them, including Gold and Silver Rangers) go back in time to a Samurai village and get into lots of sword fights with demon-shaped monsters and such. I like seeing sentai characters in period costume, so it was fun. No Pink Ranger in this series. The females are Yellow Ranger and Silver Ranger.

Definitely want to see more "Go-Onger." (That's short for "Go on [fill in color] Ranger.")

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.