Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica -- "Blood on the Scales" -- 2/6/2009

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Battlestar Galactica -- "Blood on the Scales" -- 2/6/2009

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
It just blows me away imagining another show doing something as bold as this. Could you imagine Star Trek TNG ever having a coup aboard the Enterprise?
As much as I've enjoyed seeing BSG return to relevance the past couple of weeks, I'd say that B5 hashed out the political intrigue/internal strife angle a decade ago. For a couple of seasons, it seemed like there was a fresh civil war or genocidal campaign every week. Good times.

But I'll agree that it's hard to imagine Levar Burton or Wil Wheaton staging a mutiny on the Enterprise.
Old 02-10-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 619 Likes on 498 Posts

The beauty of B5 was that the coup and the reverse coup and final restoration played out over several seasons.
Old 02-10-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

It just blows me away imagining another show doing something as bold as this. Could you imagine Star Trek TNG ever having a coup aboard the Enterprise?
Data did take over once, even imitated Picard's voice to do it
wasn't violent though
Old 02-10-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, but then again, TNG took place in a Utopian future where everyone was well-fed and emotionally and intellectually fulfilled to the maximum at all times.

In short, it's a fucking stupid comparison.
Old 02-10-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
No, but then again, TNG took place in a Utopian future where everyone was well-fed and emotionally and intellectually fulfilled to the maximum at all times.

Yeah, it's more fun to imagine the original series cast performing in these episodes.
Old 02-10-09, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

Oh, you're right... I must have forgotten about the Bajorans, or the Maquis. I guess the battle of Wolf 359 or the entire Dominion war never happened. Definitely a utopian future. All those well-fed people just spending their days going on nature walks and goofing off on the holo-deck. No conflict or personality differences at all.
Old 02-10-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, you're right... I must have forgotten about the Bajorans, or the Maquis. I guess the battle of Wolf 359 or the entire Dominion war never happened. Definitely a utopian future. All those well-fed people just spending their days going on nature walks and goofing off on the holo-deck. No conflict or personality differences at all.
I don't really want to derail this thread any further, but my comment had more to do with the tendency (even amongst sci-fi fans) to lump all spaced-based shows together as if they were all basically the same. The reason why TNG never had a fucking coup ala BSG is because TNG is a very different show.

Also, you're wrong.
Old 02-10-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Just caught up on the last two eps while the little one was sleeping (all hail Hulu!), this was two incredible eps. A lot of other folks have already commented on how it feels like a S1 ep, and I have to agree. I also get the feeling that with a clear end in sight, they're not only shoveling extra coal on the fire, they also chucked in a barrel of kerosene for some extra oomph.
Old 02-11-09, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
You've never been around someone who can dish it out but not take it? I've known many people like that in my life. Nothing unusual about that aspect of her character.
It's actually a pretty accurate depiction of her personality type.

Reminds me of some of the "star" athletes I knew back in high school. Complete narcissists. They constantly needed attention and affirmation, and when they didn't feel like they were shown the proper amount of respect, they would either lash out at anyone they could or pout like spoiled children.

When things were going good, they were tolerable. But when they lost a game, everyone was walking on eggshells around them.
Old 02-11-09, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While the ending was what I expected it to be (except for the crack in the hull), the way it got there was not.

Hulu has a note up saying that starting with the 6th episode, it won't be online until 8 days after the TV premiere, which means that I wouldn't be able to watch episode 6 until the day after episode 7 shows on TV and so forth.

Does Sci-Fi put the episodes online right away or do they wait 8 days like Hulu?
Old 03-02-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Just catching up.

These two episodes were quite good and definitely have brought the pace back up.

I sympathized with Gaeita back when he was going to be executed at the beginning of S3, but since then he has slowly turned useless and morally "superior" for no reason.

Likewise, there were times when I thought Zarek was in the right, but they took opportunities along the way to make it "easy" to draw a distinction between him and Rosslyn.

Bottom line - can't say I'm sad to see either go. I am curious if that final "conversation" between Baltar and Gaeita was just imagined. Also interesting how his leg finally stopped hurting.

Anybody notice the lawyer reference somebody feeding his dog?

Nobody seemed to call out Starbucks' awsome cross-arm double takedown!!