Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica -- "Blood on the Scales" -- 2/6/2009

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Re: Battlestar Galactica -- "Blood on the Scales" -- 2/6/2009

I don't know exactly what to think of this episode/subplot, but I certainly lean toward what Shazam said (although I don't share the happy Gaeta dead view) - it went nowhere, and the worst thing is that Adama/Rosalin coming out on top was entirely predictable.
Old 02-08-09, 09:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought it was great...though I echo the sentiment that I wish the rescue of Adama didn't happen off camera.

Thos.
Old 02-08-09, 11:23 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

FYI Katee Sackoff seems to have joined (if not just temporarily) the cast of Nip/Tuck in next weeks episode.
Old 02-08-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't know exactly what to think of this episode/subplot, but I certainly lean toward what Shazam said (although I don't share the happy Gaeta dead view) - it went nowhere, and the worst thing is that Adama/Rosalin coming out on top was entirely predictable.
Exactly. This show is really good at setting up hard choices but never makes them.

I've also never understood all the Gaeta-hate. Dude was probably the most capable officer in the fleet who continually got shat-upon by all the bigwigs, and lost his leg to boot. Maybe he should have been smarter than to throw in with a sociopath like Zarek, but nothing else he's ever done has made me dislike him.

If I were in the civilian fleet I'd be fed-up with a co-military/presidential cult of personality dictatorship, too.

Last edited by Tracer Bullet; 02-08-09 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-08-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, I liked Gaeta as well. It's just that that plot demanded that Zarek and Gaeta get executed, so if they copped out on that, well...
Old 02-08-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shazam
Oh, I liked Gaeta as well. It's just that that plot demanded that Zarek and Gaeta get executed, so if they copped out on that, well...
The plot should never "demand" anything. If it does, then we're being given what we want or expect.
Old 02-08-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So... what was the significance of Gaeta and Baltar's conversation before his execution?
Old 02-08-09, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
So... what was the significance of Gaeta and Baltar's conversation before his execution?
I don't know the intended significance, but it resonated with me that the man who caused the near annihilation of the human race is walking around free and a man who had the best (though severely misguided) interests of the fleet is shot as a traitor.
Old 02-08-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I've also never understood all the Gaeta-hate. Dude was probably the most capable officer in the fleet who continually got shat-upon by all the bigwigs, and lost his leg to boot. Maybe he should have been smarter than to throw in with a sociopath like Zarek, but nothing else he's ever done has made me dislike him.

If I were in the civilian fleet I'd be fed-up with a co-military/presidential cult of personality dictatorship, too.
As much as I did enjoy this storyline, I thought it was a little cheap they way it played out.

The thing is -- and the writers have even said this -- Gaeta wasn't necessarily in the wrong. He had a lot of valid issues.

But instead of facing this head-on, the mutineers were shown to be a bunch of murderers and rapists. So instead of actually dealing with the issues at hand, we had a Marine threatening to rape a mother carrying a small child and Zarek slaughtering everyone who got in his way. The mutineers lost all sympathy when Zarek planted a wrench in the back of Laird's skull.
Old 02-08-09, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
I have to say that these episodes have been disappointing.

The Cylons are the BAD guys.
Even the ones who now religiously believe it is their 'destiny' to live with the humans? That their extermination was completely wrong??

I'm glad you never had to negotiate a peace treaty. It's easy to take this point of view of black/white wrong/right, but at some point, you have to make the choice to deal with the enemy or ethnically cleanse.

How is slaughtering every Cylon better than the Cylons slaughtering every human?
Old 02-08-09, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Palaver
I don't know the intended significance, but it resonated with me that the man who caused the near annihilation of the human race is walking around free and a man who had the best (though severely misguided) interests of the fleet is shot as a traitor.
So...you're telling me Adama ISN'T the one responsible for protecting the fleet these last few years?

Wow. Just...wow. If you're talking about Baltar being the one responsible for it...okay, validity.
Old 02-08-09, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But instead of facing this head-on, the mutineers were shown to be a bunch of murderers and rapists. So instead of actually dealing with the issues at hand, we had a Marine threatening to rape a mother carrying a small child and Zarek slaughtering everyone who got in his way.
That's the chief distinction between a good show (which BSG has been, if only sporadically) and a great one. The Sopranos and Six Feet Under rarely took the easy way out and never provided neat plot twists for the sake of expediency, moral or narrative. BSG has done it time after time, and even some of the best episodes are marred by deus ex machina resolutions (the assassination of Adm. Cain being at the top of the list).

Maybe the bar has been set too high by HBO, but I can't help but be disappointed when characters behave more like marionettes than human beings.

The beings that wiped out the human race have changed. The humans realize they can't survive on their own and it is each other's mutual best interest to work together.
Isn't that convenient? Four years after murdering billions of women and children, infirm and newborns alike, some of the cylons have second thoughts (coincidentally, after they're marked for death by the rest of their race). And the leader of the military, liberal institution that it is, has accepted their apology in return for retconned jump drive technology that somehow escaped mention prior to this season. "Incredible" doesn't begin to cover it.

Last edited by grrr; 02-08-09 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-08-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I assumed it was simply to highlight Baltar's ascendency as a religious figure (just as people on death row today get to talk to a priest or whatever before execution).

But instead of facing this head-on, the mutineers were shown to be a bunch of murderers and rapists. So instead of actually dealing with the issues at hand, we had a Marine threatening to rape a mother carrying a small child and Zarek slaughtering everyone who got in his way. The mutineers lost all sympathy when Zarek planted a wrench in the back of Laird's skull.
That's what I hated. Take out that mass murder, and there is no clear right/wrong here, but by throwing that in, it makes the viewer automatically go back to the Old Man and Prez being "in the right."
Old 02-08-09, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
So...you're telling me Adama ISN'T the one responsible for protecting the fleet these last few years?

Wow. Just...wow. If you're talking about Baltar being the one responsible for it...okay, validity.
Maybe I phrased something poorly.

I'm saying it is somewhat unfitting that Baltar (a person who caused to near extinction of the human race) gets to walk around free while Gaeta (whom I considered a decent, yet misguided person) was shot as a traitor.
Old 02-08-09, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by grrr
Isn't that convenient? Four years after murdering billions of women and children, infirm and newborns alike, some of the cylons have second thoughts (coincidentally, after they're marked for death by the rest of their race). And the leader of the military, liberal institution that it is, has accepted their apology in return for retconned jump drive technology that somehow escaped mention prior to this season. "Incredible" doesn't begin to cover it.
I disagree with your assessment here. Its already been shown that the Cylons on the Rebel Baseship had "second thoughts" about the nuking of the colonies dating back to the New Caprica Occupation.

After the Cylon Civil War they are vulnerable and turn to the Colonials as temporary allies to recover the boxed 3. The Colonials aid the Rebels because it is in their best interest. They can either destroy a crippled Cylon baseship or get access to the boxed 3 (who will lead them to the final 4 and subsequently Earth) AND get to end Cylon Resurrection. Which makes the most sense?

After the recovery of the 3, the final 4 are revealed and the temporary alliance is out the window. Another mutually beneficial alliance is made between the acting President of the Colonies (not Military) and the Cylon leader in order to avoid the loss of human life. They go to Earth together.

They reach Earth, find it a wasteland. What now? The Rebel Cylons have no place to go, so they want to join the Colonial Fleet. They offer superior Cylon technology as an incentive. The superiority of their jump drive technology was established early on in the series - it was not retconned. Check out the episode Kobol's Last Gleaming, where Starbuck steals the captured Cylon Raider, so that she can jump back to Caprica and get the Arrow of Apollo. Quote from the Battlestar Wiki:

The Raider is equipped with an FTL drive system (Miniseries). Following tests on the Raider captured by Galactica, this FTL system is found to be far more efficient in jump calculations than Colonial FTL systems. The drive shows its accuracy when Lt. Thrace takes the Raider from a point somewhere near the vicinity of Kobol back to Caprica in a single jump (Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part I).
Adama accepts the proposal because Earth was a bust and they need to find a new home. The more efficient FTL technology will allow the fleet to jump farther and use less fuel, thereby increasing their chances of survival.

Every decision so far seems to be very pragmatic rather than "convenient." Both the Colonials and the Cylons made decisions that would increase their chances of survival. Also, keep in mind that the Colonials have not made peace with ALL Cylons, just one Rebel faction on one basestar.
Old 02-08-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched this and the previous episode back to back. I had intended to have them help me get to sleep ... on the contrary, I ended up watching and enjoyed them both.
Old 02-08-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Grandmoph
Old 02-08-09, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmoph
I disagree with your assessment here. Its already been shown that the Cylons on the Rebel Baseship had "second thoughts" about the nuking of the colonies dating back to the New Caprica Occupation.

After the Cylon Civil War they are vulnerable and turn to the Colonials as temporary allies to recover the boxed 3. The Colonials aid the Rebels because it is in their best interest. They can either destroy a crippled Cylon baseship or get access to the boxed 3 (who will lead them to the final 4 and subsequently Earth) AND get to end Cylon Resurrection. Which makes the most sense?

After the recovery of the 3, the final 4 are revealed and the temporary alliance is out the window. Another mutually beneficial alliance is made between the acting President of the Colonies (not Military) and the Cylon leader in order to avoid the loss of human life. They go to Earth together.

They reach Earth, find it a wasteland. What now? The Rebel Cylons have no place to go, so they want to join the Colonial Fleet. They offer superior Cylon technology as an incentive. The superiority of their jump drive technology was established early on in the series - it was not retconned. Check out the episode Kobol's Last Gleaming, where Starbuck steals the captured Cylon Raider, so that she can jump back to Caprica and get the Arrow of Apollo. Quote from the Battlestar Wiki:

Adama accepts the proposal because Earth was a bust and they need to find a new home. The more efficient FTL technology will allow the fleet to jump farther and use less fuel, thereby increasing their chances of survival.

Every decision so far seems to be very pragmatic rather than "convenient." Both the Colonials and the Cylons made decisions that would increase their chances of survival. Also, keep in mind that the Colonials have not made peace with ALL Cylons, just one Rebel faction on one basestar.
Damn, you're awesome.

Well-stated, and exactly so. This alliance is symbiotically beneficial to both factions.
Old 02-08-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Grandmoph
Agreed!
Old 02-08-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
The only thing I was disappointed with was that we didn't get to see Tigh and Lee save Adama. I was really looking forward to it and then cut to Adama safe and the firing squad on their knees.
That would have been good to see, but it wasn't quite as cut-and-dried as that. Gaeta gave the execution order to the lieutenant, and we cut to see him accepting the order, but then we see he's at Tigh's gunpoint. That way had dramatic value too.
Old 02-09-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So how come no one has said anything about Starbuck? Is she a cylon too? Who/what was that in the crashed viper on Earth?
Old 02-09-09, 11:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by runner001
So how come no one has said anything about Starbuck? Is she a cylon too? Who/what was that in the crashed viper on Earth?

I thought Geita's second in command said something snarky to her.
Old 02-09-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by runner001
She's not a Cylon (the "Five" have been revealed) and I'm sure it'll be explained.
Old 02-09-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't dropped by TV Talk much lately, as I really only watch BSG and Lost....but I've gotta say, this half of the season is off to a terrific start.

They still have some pretty serious questions to answer, particularly about Starbuck, but I'm pretty excited about where they are going and how ruthless they are about getting there. I especially loved the thing with Dee.

As an aside, I think shorter runs are better for this kind of show. Farscape had a good run, and I can still reasonably watch beginning to end over the course of a few weeks. Babylon 5 probably overstayed its welcome a bit (hated the fifth season). Even Firefly turned out OK in that I can have a palatable Firefly/Serenity marathon every now and again. I compare that to Buffy or Angel, which I own on DVD but will likely never watch again just because it's such a committment.
Old 02-09-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
She's not a Cylon (the "Five" have been revealed) and I'm sure it'll be explained.
It has not been disclosed yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.