Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How good was... "Newsradio"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 04:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
How good was... "Newsradio"?

i've had the seasons for awhile, but just didn't have the urge to watch them. i actually tried awhile back, but stopped for some reason. then i saw an ep. on cable and laughed and remembered how much i loved this show.

so i popped s1 in last week and been loving it ever since.

any other love out there?
Old 01-17-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How good was... "Newsradio"?

What do you think?
Old 01-17-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my favorite shows of all time, easily.
Old 01-17-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great show, up until the season that was filmed after Phil Hartman was killed.
Old 01-17-09, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Great show, up until the season that was filmed after Phil Hartman was killed.
Honestly, the show peaked in season 3. Season 4 was uneven. Season 5 was even more uneven, but there are a good number of quality episodes present. The Warburton stuff is great, as are a couple of the others. The run between Bill Moves On and the first Doobie Keebler episode is a really rough patch, but it evens out.
Old 01-17-09, 07:31 PM

perfect show.

"Frodo was a paranoid gnome"

"Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust."

The interview in "The Real Deal" with Phil, Maura & Jerry Seinfeld is one of the funniest sitcom moments ever.
Old 01-17-09, 11:19 PM

One of my favorites! (Hence, the screen name). Consistently funny show during the Phil Hartman years (through season four). The show because more surreal as the series progressed. Favorite episode is "The Public Domain" in season four.
Old 01-17-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rocket Fuel Dizzzzayuuuum!!!
Old 01-17-09, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Great show, especially the first several seasons.
Old 01-18-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Loved it and have been meaning to pick up the seasons for some time now ...

... Maura Tierney ...
Old 01-18-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

"The original title of this book was 'Jimmy James, Capitalist Lion Tamer' but I see now that it's... 'Jimmy James, Macho Business Donkey Wrestler'... you know what it is... I had the book translated in to Japanese then back in again into English. Macho Business Donkey Wrestler... well there you go... it's got kind of a ring to it don't it? Anyway, I wanted to read from chapter three... which is the story of my first rise to financial prominence... I had a small house of brokerage on Wall Street... many days no business come to my hut... my hut... but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo... dung. ...Glorious sunset of my heart was fading. Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey."

Absolutely brilliant - The only shows I don't like from the first four seasons are the titanic ep and the space fantasy ep. I admit I don't own the fifth season yet - it's not horrible, but it is a major step down with Jon Lovitz who really isn't very funny in this.

Michael
Old 01-18-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There some moments with Lovitz that were good though, but that season did have some rough patches but yes when they got to the Doobie Keebler stuff it was back to brilliant
Old 01-18-09, 09:37 AM

During the Hartman years, there was one scene in an episode that made me laugh harder than I remember laughing at anything else on tv - but I can't remember anything about it other than that.
Old 01-18-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several shows I like as much as Newsradio, but none I like more. It was a rare combination of great writing and an ensemble cast that seemed to be really in tune with one another.

BILL: "Gazziza Dilznoofus it's Bill McNeal saying get with the crezappy taste of Rocketfuel Malt Liquor... Rocketfuel's got tha upstate prison flavor that keeps you ugly all night long. So when you wanna get sick remember, nothing makes yo' feet stank like Rocketfuel Malt Liquor... DAMN! It's crezappy!!!"

BILL: "Another time I was cut from the highschool football team... and my mother said, "Central's lost a fullback but the McNeal's have gained a daughter"... and in front of the other players too... priceless!... good times... good times..."
Old 01-18-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since somebody has posted my favorite quote (the book reading), I'll post my second favorite:

Matthew: "Why don't people smile more? A recent survey shows that 80% of Americans never ever smile. These people need to go to jail. In the happy 20% though are my two special cats, Chew Chew Bonewagon and Mit Mit St. Claire, whuttup guys!!!"

My favorite episode is definitely Daydream.

My favorite single scene is the Lisa-Dave breakup that involves Dave pointing out that Lisa is wearing his shirt. She pulls it off right then and there in disgust and storms out in her bra. Very nice.
Old 01-18-09, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

(Never seen an episode)
Old 01-18-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
(Never seen an episode)
Thanks for adding so much to the discussion.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/37cf-WmEqPI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/37cf-WmEqPI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-18-09, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of the best shows ever.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/01UIB2X-WK0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/01UIB2X-WK0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-18-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first 3 seasons are solid gold (with the exception of the space episode). Season 4 was a mixed bag, and season 5 was hard to watch objectively because of the void left by Phil Hartman.
Old 01-18-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DAmnit Dolphinboy you beat me to it. For some reason when I saw the post I knew it was that one. Most shows have one episode that you would show someone that it's great and they would then start watching. And the cane episode is that one for Newsradio
Old 01-18-09, 08:01 PM

Ha that cane scene is so great. One of my all time fav shows, like everyone else has said seasons 1-3 are flawless, 4 is soso and 5 is meh.
Old 01-18-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I love the show. It was one of the few shows I made a point to watch each week while I was in college (man, time flies). Coincidentally, I went through all of season 4 again this week and agree that it's spotty, but still better than a lot of the crap on TV.

That Jimmy James book reading mentioned above may be my favorite scene of the entire run.

And Phil Hartmen with the cane...well, you know the old saying: everybody loves a cane.

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
What do you think?
You know, all these years I thought that the Beastie Boys named the song after the "Newsradio" character, but after reading some trivia on a fan site over the weekend I found out that it's just the opposite. I guess I never really put the actually chronology together in my head.
Old 01-18-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In addition to the Daydream episode, I liked the Arcade one with the old sandwich machine, the Rat Funeral with the Incinerator, and the episode of the autobiography being done by Bill and him messing with Dave(paraphrasing):
"If you don't like Dave, say 'Bill get out of here'"
-"Bill, get out of here!"
-"See Dave, the proof is right here!"

Back around '99, a local TV station used to show syndicated NewsRadio after the Late Late Show with Craig Killborn aired, which made for awesome tv.
Old 01-18-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love it! I remember watching some episodes when it originally aired, but I was just too young to get into it. Thank God for reruns and dvds.

If I had to pick a favorite episode it would be Station Sale.
Old 01-18-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

The first 4 seasons are easily some of my favorites. Season 5 has its moments, but pales in comparison to the earlier shows.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.