Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Gabon - Earth's Last Eden - 11/27/08 (Recap Episode)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-08, 10:35 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Title:
Spoiler:
I Was Put on The Planet for This Show

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Previously unseen footage, including secret scenes and audition footage, offers insight into how power shifted into the hands of Sugar, Susie, Ken and Crystal.

No one goes home this week... so no poll.

Not sure why I'm spoilerizing the recap show title and description.
Old 11-27-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Damnit, I hate these recap shows...
Old 11-28-08, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good, I had better things to do than set a timer and watch this. I mean its Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bonus footage of Corrine being a total bitch made it worth watching.
Old 11-29-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
What I really, really hate about the recap show is the double elimination show that happens a few weeks before the recap show. I just scanned through this and stopped with the few new scenes.
Old 11-29-08, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Sugar topless at the Sugar Shack
Old 11-29-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Two of the least likely contenders have the most game. Sugar and Kenny should be in the finals. We are still doing a happy dance that the smug prick that was Randy was so completely tricked and sent packing last week.
Old 11-30-08, 08:39 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I'm glad Randy got the boot, I would definitely rather have him around yet and Corrine gone. She's just a vile human being. Randy doesn't try to hide who he is - he's simply not a people person, though he probably should have tried a little harder to keep from pissing people off in a game for a million dollars.
Old 11-30-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tsar Chasm
Two of the least likely contenders have the most game. Sugar and Kenny should be in the finals. We are still doing a happy dance that the smug prick that was Randy was so completely tricked and sent packing last week.
And you don't think Kenny and Sugar have been smug in recent weeks? I won't defend Randy (though unlike Kenny and Crystal I did find him entertaining), but I thought Sugar's behavior was really bad at that auction. And Kenny and Crystal have been cocky for weeks as their scheming has paid. I mean bully for them, but they sure as Hell have been smug too.

And given the preview
Spoiler:
where Bob apparently has a real immunity idol...they talked significantly more about it in the preview tonight on the Amazing Race...I'm sure one of the smug people on the other side will be going next

Last edited by mwbmis; 11-30-08 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Sugar topless at the Sugar Shack
You should check out "Sex and Death 101". She plays Precious
Old 12-01-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Regarding the TAR preview of the next survivor:
Spoiler:
I wonder if the proposal is to Sugar for her recently annulled marriage. That was a fast one.
Old 12-01-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Regarding the TAR preview of the next survivor:
Spoiler:
I wonder if the proposal is to Sugar for her recently annulled marriage. That was a fast one.
Spoiler:
It looked like it was the "loved ones" challenge so I'm betting Matty proposes to his GF
Old 12-01-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by mwbmis
And you don't think Kenny and Sugar have been smug in recent weeks? I won't defend Randy (though unlike Kenny and Crystal I did find him entertaining), but I thought Sugar's behavior was really bad at that auction. And Kenny and Crystal have been cocky for weeks as their scheming has paid. I mean bully for them, but they sure as Hell have been smug too.
Agree 100% with this. Randy was smug, but he was an interesting player, with some personality (for good or bad) and involved in the game from day 1. Sugar/Kenny sat by the wayside until things fell their way (when another useless floater joined them), and then instantly broke the smug-o-meter and all previously existing smug records.
Old 12-02-08, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't kid yourselves, their smugness is what makes them fun to watch. If they were all emotionless but cunning masterminds, this show would be dull as dirt. You have to have some immaturity on display, even from the Corinne's of the world because they know their number is up, so they have to play the "they'll rue the day they kicked me to the curb because they won't get my vote" card to make themselves feel better about their craptastic situation. Muhahahaha! Right. Whatever, losers.
Old 12-02-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's hard to say who is most deserving right now. I would say Kenny, as he seemed to spearhead the blind-side of Marcus. But then I think about his seemingly off-base comments about Marcus being a "bully", and it makes me wonder if the move was more a reflection of his insecurities rather than intelligent gameplay. Plus, Kenny, Crystal and Matty are all only in the game because of that random tribe shuffle prior to the merge.
Old 12-02-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
^Agreed. The more I think about it the most deserving people in the game are the ones that played the game from the beginning. There is a lot of luck involved in this season since there were two tribe swaps. I think Marcus played the game the best up until getting voted out. He was big in putting together the original Marcus/Charlie/Jackie/Corrine alliance and kept Bob hanging around it as well. Once the tribes switched he was a big part in getting Randy to take Jackie's spot.

On that end, I think Randy was playing a good game as well. He remained in the original Fang while they were getting their asses kicked. Then he moved to Kota and got into the power alliance easily. He was in a true power position until the second tribe swap. They made the bad move by not being good to Suzie. If they had showed her some respect she wouldn't have switched alliances. They also made the mistake of voting out Dan instead of Suzie. Not voting him out would have given him comfort enough to stay with the Kota tribe.

Kenny turned it on after the second swap. He would be a goner if they merged at that point. Crystal and Suzie are latch-ons and shouldn't have been cast on the show to begin with. It irks me that they'll likely make it to the final 3.

Matty established himself as the best player this season. He's made good relationships (even Randy liked him) and he's a good physical player. He's had his fair share of bad luck by being stuck with two shitty Fang tribes. Then he single handedly won the immunity challenge that put his alliance in power. I'd say if anyone deserves to win this season it would be Matty.
Old 12-02-08, 11:06 AM

If das monkey were here, he would have predicted my reply already...

Why is it that women never get any credit on this show?

Look at the last post. Goat lists the most deserving people in the game. All are men, even ones like Marcus (who should have been able to hold onto his advantage, but couldn't because he was too arrogant to think he needed to), Randy (who was a hypocritical ass with a questionable strategy who couldn't take a dose of his own medicine, but people prefer his brand of asshattery over the others because he's a white male who posts on message boards and they see themselves in him?), Kenny (who targets girls based on how much they talk to him and targets boys if they expose his sneakiness, not to mention the fact that Crystal was more responsible for saving him at the second swap than he ever was) and Matty (who seems nice but a little dim and somewhat boring. When Mrs. Roper being your grandmother is the most interesting thing I can think of to say about you, you may have a problem).

The women on this show may not be the physical powerhouses the men are, but they all have game in their own ways (yes, even Susie, who won the first individual immunity and would have been in contention for the second had Corinne not bid at the auction). Sometimes I feel like I'm back in the 60's living out Mad Men while discussing this show.
Old 12-02-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
This might be a record for a recap-episode thread. Some seasons no one bothers (with good reason; not much conversation about the actual "episode").
Old 12-02-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
This might be a record for a recap-episode thread. Some seasons no one bothers (with good reason; not much conversation about the actual "episode").
Yep, I start the weekly threads and didn't bother. Although I did end up watching. I wish they'd just get rid of these though.

I guess if we can have a two page thread about Tina Fey's facial scar than anything goes though.
Old 12-02-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
^Agreed. The more I think about it the most deserving people in the game are the ones that played the game from the beginning. There is a lot of luck involved in this season since there were two tribe swaps. I think Marcus played the game the best up until getting voted out. He was big in putting together the original Marcus/Charlie/Jackie/Corrine alliance and kept Bob hanging around it as well. Once the tribes switched he was a big part in getting Randy to take Jackie's spot.

On that end, I think Randy was playing a good game as well. He remained in the original Fang while they were getting their asses kicked. Then he moved to Kota and got into the power alliance easily. He was in a true power position until the second tribe swap. They made the bad move by not being good to Suzie. If they had showed her some respect she wouldn't have switched alliances. They also made the mistake of voting out Dan instead of Suzie. Not voting him out would have given him comfort enough to stay with the Kota tribe.

Kenny turned it on after the second swap. He would be a goner if they merged at that point. Crystal and Suzie are latch-ons and shouldn't have been cast on the show to begin with. It irks me that they'll likely make it to the final 3.

Matty established himself as the best player this season. He's made good relationships (even Randy liked him) and he's a good physical player. He's had his fair share of bad luck by being stuck with two shitty Fang tribes. Then he single handedly won the immunity challenge that put his alliance in power. I'd say if anyone deserves to win this season it would be Matty.
How did Marcus play the best up until he got booted? He lucked into a great tribe during the school yard pick 'em at the beginning. At that point he got into a good alliance which I give him credit for but that's hardly great game play, especially when your tribe dominates. They then switched up the tribes the first time. Due to the lopsided game so far, Kota kept a majority and Marcus kept most of the onion core with Charlie, Corrine and Bob. The big change in the game came when Kenny made a great move. He chose Kelly instead of Bob to come over to Fang. He saw she was at the bottom of their tribe and figured he could flip her, which he did. Then Kota wins 4 immunities in a row. The first one they lose was actually the first time Marcus and his alliance had to make a decision that had any significance in the game and they made the wrong one. They choose to get rid of Dan instead of Susie which cost him the game.

In my opinion, Kenny has played the best game by far. He has had help at times but he has made some great moves.
Old 12-02-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^If you think Marcus lucked into his situation then so did Kenny. If it wasn't for the second tribe swap Kenny and his alliance would have been long gone regardless of the moves he was trying to make. Thanks to a tribe swap where you rarely get to choose who is on your side the game does have a large degree of luck. Which is why I would like to see them abandon the tribe swap for a season.

Marcus was the best, IMO, because he put together a good alliance. He was well liked by almost everyone. He was a good physical player and helped win challenges. He was a big reason why they were able to lure Randy into thier alliance. He was the only one that treated Suzie with a half nuts worth of respect. His only mistake was trying to make a play on Kenny when he should have made a play on Suzie. Of course that was the reason he got voted off and that pretty much ended him being the best player.

Kenny chose Kelly to come over to his tribe but I don't see how that changed the game at all. He did flip her but she ended up getting voted out long before it mattered anyway. I don't remember the details but you said he could have picked Bob. If he picked him his tribe would certainly been stronger. Seems like it was a stupid move to me. Maybe Fang would have won some immunity challenges with Bob and having Kelly bog down the other side. It also would have fucked up the Kota alliance earlier.

The original Kota got lucky because of the original tribe pick but Fang got really lucky with the second tribe swap. No one is there right now without kind of lucking into it.
Old 12-02-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^If you think Marcus lucked into his situation then so did Kenny. If it wasn't for the second tribe swap Kenny and his alliance would have been long gone regardless of the moves he was trying to make. Thanks to a tribe swap where you rarely get to choose who is on your side the game does have a large degree of luck. Which is why I would like to see them abandon the tribe swap for a season.

Marcus was the best, IMO, because he put together a good alliance. He was well liked by almost everyone. He was a good physical player and helped win challenges. He was a big reason why they were able to lure Randy into thier alliance. He was the only one that treated Suzie with a half nuts worth of respect. His only mistake was trying to make a play on Kenny when he should have made a play on Suzie. Of course that was the reason he got voted off and that pretty much ended him being the best player.

Kenny chose Kelly to come over to his tribe but I don't see how that changed the game at all. He did flip her but she ended up getting voted out long before it mattered anyway. I don't remember the details but you said he could have picked Bob. If he picked him his tribe would certainly been stronger. Seems like it was a stupid move to me. Maybe Fang would have won some immunity challenges with Bob and having Kelly bog down the other side. It also would have fucked up the Kota alliance earlier.

The original Kota got lucky because of the original tribe pick but Fang got really lucky with the second tribe swap. No one is there right now without kind of lucking into it.
I agree there is a great deal of luck involved with this game. I'm just saying Marcus really didn't make many moves to say he was the best player up until his departure. His alliance was good but when you win a lot of challenges, your alliance just keeps getting stronger. The one move he led was the wrong move. He was strong and well liked but that is pretty much why he went rather than Corrine. This season would have been really dull for about 5 weeks without tribe swaps. These always screw someone but they make it for a more interesting game.
Old 12-02-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^winning challenges and keeping a strong alliance is playing the game well. I think up until that second tribe swap Marcus was the favorite to go into the final 3 along with Charlie and Corrine or Randy. The reason he went instead of Corrine was becasue Corrine was on the other tribe that won that immunity challenge. Marcus and Bob were on the new Kota. But yes I agree he did make a fatal wrong move. I just feel up until the second switch he was the favorite to go farthest. Now I feel its Matty (or I hope its Matty).

I agree that this season wouldn't have been good without swaps but if they went back to the formula of the producers choosing the teams and making it as even as possible they could do without a swap. No swap would be a big twist if you ask me. It worked for them in the earlier seasons. However, I do enjoy that the show is always willing to shake things up to keep from getting stale.
Old 12-02-08, 04:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that this season wouldn't have been good without swaps but if they went back to the formula of the producers choosing the teams and making it as even as possible they could do without a swap. No swap would be a big twist if you ask me. It worked for them in the earlier seasons. However, I do enjoy that the show is always willing to shake things up to keep from getting stale.
I think a big twist would be simply to have one large tribe for the whole season of Survivor, with each second challenge for individual immunity. I'd be interested to see how that would play out.
Old 12-03-08, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I don't care for the swaps at all. They give the appearance of the producers tinkering with the game at their whim. I would feel better if I knew all swaps, challenges, and the merge placement were at least all predetermined before production began, regardless of how they play out.