Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Who watched The Shield on FX? and what'd you think?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I didn't like it.

I was ready for something like my favorite show, Homicide, but The Shield just didn't click for me.

I can't put my finger on it, but there was just something missing that kept the show from being engaging like Homicide was. A lot of it's "grittiness" seemed like it was just there for shock value and didn't help out the stories or the characters at all. Speaking of characters, I think that was it's major flaw, as I found none of the characters to be likable or even interesting.

I may give it one more try, but it sure as hell was no Homicide.
Old 03-13-02, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved it!
I thought the star of the show was going to be like Dirty HArry type, he went over board when he shot the stoolie cop though.
Which I guess is good because then you don't know what's going to happen on the show. Like remember in MIAMI VICE when Crockett went bad , why did he have to have like brain damage to go bad? Why not just do it because he wanted the money.
Old 03-13-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I watched the first five minutes and realized I don't need two back-to-back intense shows with "24" and "The Shield," so I flipped the channel.
Old 03-13-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It was just okay IMO. Although I do like a show about a bad guy so it is refreshing in that regard.

The way it was hyped up I was ready to be blown away. I try not to judge too much on a pilot so I will definitely be watching it more.

Some of the characters were just a bit too cartoonish. Like the guy they busted with stolen VCRs(Whistler from Buffy)...I mean the guy was such a stereotype.

I don't think the language was there for shock value because that is the way people talk in the real world. At least in my world they do.

The flow of the show seemed a bit loose except for the last 15 minutes. I wonder if that is the way they are going to run every show...loose during the first 2 acts and then tighten it up for the big pay-off at the end.

All in all it was okay...much better than a lot of what is on TV right now...but needs improvement.
Old 03-13-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Who watched The Shield on FX? and what'd you think?

Originally posted by slop101
I may give it one more try, but it sure as hell was no Homicide.
I don't think that's fair to compare one show to another. This is nothing like Homicide and is not trying to be like Homicide. It is a completely different show.

The network version of the pilot was missing a couple of scenes that were in the pilot I saw which I think would've helped things a bit. There was another scene with Reed Diamond and Chiklis and a scene where we got a little more info on the cop who thinks he's so smart -
Spoiler:
the one the captian put dog caRp in his desk

I think the acting is first rate and the writing is smart and tight.

I love that this show is breaking the network "rules" and giving us an unlikable lead. The Mackey character is certainly one of the most intriguing one television right now. He does what is good for us - citizens - but at what price? I think it's a very interesting thing to explore.

I liked that the Captain character sort of made us think he was going to be another stereotypical tight-ass do-gooder, but then we see that he's got layers.

CCH Pounder is brilliant as always.

I loved that they got a big name like
Spoiler:
Reed Diamond to play the role of the guy who gets killed - that helped a TON in surprising the audience at the end.

IMHO, this show is giving us characters and story lines that just don't exist on TV right now. NYPD Blue has become a Spelling show with all it's beautiful people and tired story lines.

I applaud Fox for taking this chance and hope they let this show develop an audience.

Don't be surprised if this show becomes the first non-pay cable show to garner some awards.
Old 03-13-02, 12:46 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Brother :
Spoiler:
The captain didn't put the dog crap in the desk, CCH Pounder did.
Old 03-13-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dek
Brother :
Spoiler:
The captain didn't put the dog crap in the desk, CCH Pounder did.
Says who?

Last edited by BoatDrinks; 03-13-02 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-13-02, 01:05 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Reed Diamond is a big name? I've never seen him before. Who is he?
Old 03-13-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
He was on Homicide and Judging Amy and has done a few flicks.
Old 03-13-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I wouldn't say he was a BIG name, but he was one of the most interesting characters during his run on "Homicide". That's probably his biggest fame. He also starred in a Christmas TV movie this past year.

As for "The Shield", I'm still undecided. It was very intense and well-done, but I don't know if I have the stomach for a show with an evil cop as the main character. I'll have to add another light hearted show to balance myself out.

Honk!
Old 03-13-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I was only comparing it to Homicide because the advertisements were. It also had the same director and some of the same writers and producers as Homicide (also, a couple of the same actors). Both shows are also gritty/realistic cop shows.

I think I'm validated in comparing the two shows.
Old 03-13-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got to this one on my TiVo. I really liked it. I have no idea if it will hold up or where it will go from here, but it is certainly not a copycat show or a sensationalist show. We are seeing characters completely unlike anything on TV right now. This is the kind of show that challenges the viewer. I think it could stand some improvement in a few places, but all in all, I thought it was a very good start. This is a risky show. Sometimes it will work, and sometimes it won't, but not many programs (outside of HBO) are even making the effort. I'm all for anything that tries to push the envelope with an intelligent approach. I'll definitely keep watching and see where this goes.

das
Old 03-13-02, 05:32 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed it and plan to watch it again. At least the ending here surprised me unlike the one on this week's "24" which I saw coming a mile away.
Old 03-13-02, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I think it could stand some improvement in a few places, but all in all, I thought it was a very good start. This is a risky show. Sometimes it will work, and sometimes it won't, but not many programs (outside of HBO) are even making the effort. I'm all for anything that tries to push the envelope with an intelligent approach. I'll definitely keep watching and see where this goes.

das
I agree wholeheartedly with das. (I can always count on das to say things better than I could have...except when I disagree with him).

I knew of all the Homicide personnel tie-ins, but I also knew better than to compare the pilot of this show to what I consider five of the best season of a TV show ever. It does have the potential to be as involving and intelligent as Homicide, so I'll be tuning in every week to see what happens next.
Old 03-14-02, 08:33 AM
Banned

Hey the streets of Chicago around Humbolt Park can use a cop like that!
Old 03-14-02, 09:21 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
If you are into newsgroups and collecting shows, this was released last night
Old 03-15-02, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
just watched it
I thought it was good
glad to see chiklis back on tv, I was a big Commish fan
Old 03-16-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched it and liked it. It has a Sopranos feel to it. This is going to prove to be a very interesting show.
Old 03-17-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i just caugh the repeat and i thought that it was pretty good. it will be interesting to see where they take chiklis' character.
Old 03-17-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I was interested up to the last part...
Spoiler:
I thought Chiklis was going to be a Dirty Harry or Charles Bronson type of character, stepping outside the law to achieve results, instead of just a very dirty cop. He killed the other cop, and was shown stealing drugs in the preview for the next episode.

I won't be watching anymore episodes.
Old 03-17-02, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by elektra
Holy carp! Do I hear angels? Sure sounds like it ...

das
Old 03-18-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das - you hearing voices again??????
Old 09-24-02, 12:29 PM

Just a bump in case anyone is watching the Shield marathon this week..

Saw the Pilot.. man, was I susprised by the end.. How did Vic know that guy was going against him though?

Other than that.. what a show. I caught this midseason over the summer and am now watching the earlier ones.
Old 09-24-02, 12:43 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Michael "The Commish" Chiklis winning the Emmy for Best Actor in a Drama Series sums up the quality of this show nicely. A very pleasant surprise indeed.

Kudos to Chiklis for his first ever Emmy Award.

-BT

I can't wait for this week's season premiere!
Old 09-24-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TK-421
Saw the Pilot.. man, was I susprised by the end.. How did Vic know that guy was going against him though?
They explain it in the next episode (or in the next couple of episodes).

Love this show. One of the few television shows that got my heart pumping hard with all the action in it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.