Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Nbc announces primetime schedule changes

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nbc announces primetime schedule changes

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20081024nbc01

NBC ANNOUNCES PRIMETIME SCHEDULE CHANGES: 'LAW & ORDER' PREMIERES WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 5, FOLLOWING 'KNIGHT RIDER' AND 'LIFE' IN ALL NEW CRIME BLOCK LINEUP AND 'LIPSTICK JUNGLE' JOINS FRIDAY LINEUP ON OCTOBER 31

'Momma's Boys' Premiere Moves to Tuesday, December 16 After 'The Biggest Loser' Finale

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. -- NBC adds more drama to its Wednesday night schedule when an all-new season of "Law & Order" premieres Wednesday, November 5, (10-11 p.m. ET), following "Knight Rider" (8-9 p.m. ET) and "Life" (9-10 p.m. ET) in its new day and time period. Likewise, the network also re-shapes Fridays with "Lipstick Jungle" stepping in behind "Crusoe," (9-10 p.m. ET) beginning Friday, October 31 (10-11 p.m. ET).

In addition, "Momma's Boys" from executive producers Ryan Seacrest and Andrew Glassman -- will now debut Tuesday, December 16 (10-11 p.m. ET) after the season finale of "The Biggest Loser" (8-10 p.m. ET). The alternative series will then return in its regular day and time of Mondays beginning December 22 (9-10 p.m. ET) after "Heroes" ends its current volume on December 15. ("Momma's Boys'" previously announced debut date was Wednesday, November 12).

The announcements were made by Ben Silverman and Marc Graboff, Co-Chairmen, NBC Entertainment and Universal Media Studios.

"These moves will play to the shows' mutual strengths and will help us to reinforce our lineup," said Silverman and Graboff. "A Wednesday night with wall-to-wall satisfying mysteries and great dramas -- paced by the return of the original 'Law & Order' to its home on Wednesdays will provide creative continuity that night. Fridays will feature escapist drama with 'Lipstick Jungle' joining 'Crusoe.' Additionally, this strategy for 'Momma's Boys' offers the show a more favorable launch platform."

"Law & Order," the longest-running crime series and the second-longest-running drama series in the history of television, enters its 19th season with returning characters Detective Cyrus Lupo (Jeremy Sisto) and partner, Detective Kevin Bernard (Anthony Anderson), who investigate crimes and apprehend suspects under the supervision of their precinct lieutenant, Anita Van Buren (S. Epatha Merkerson). Chief Assistant District Attorney Michael Cutter (Linus Roache) and the Executive Assistant District Attorney Connie Rubirosa (Alana De La Garza) are back manuvering within a complicated justice system to prosecute the accused under the guidance of District Attorney Jack McCoy (Sam Waterston).

The show is a Wolf Films production in association with Universal Media Studios. Dick Wolf is creator and executive producer; Rene Balcer, Fred Berner and Peter Jankowski are the executive producers.

Airing in the Wednesday 10-11 p.m. (ET) hour last season, "Law & Order" averaged a 3.3 rating, 8 share in adults 18-49 and 10.8 million viewers overall, a 22 percent increase in 18-49 and a 20 percent jump in total viewers versus its results for the prior season, when it ran on Friday nights.

The Wall Street Journal called "Life" "...a steady burn of talent, of smart writing, of chemical reactions." The New York Daily News called it "brilliant" and "sizzling" and the Dallas Morning News called it "a new-age 'Rockford Files.'"

The New York Daily News said "Lipstick' stands alone this year as heir to the 'Sex and the City' legacy - glamorous, successful women living, losing, loving and most of all bonding in the big city." In Touch Weekly said of "Lipstick Jungle": "The sexy, stylish show hits its stride in its second season."
Maybe this will give Life a chance!

Chris
Old 10-24-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
So they're finally sending Lipstick Jungle off to die.

And this should give Life a chance, though if it falls dramatically off of Knight Rider (which in itself only gets around 7m viewers), that's really not good (worse yet if Law & Order increases).
Old 10-24-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Well, Life can't do much worse on a Wednesday. At least this is giving it a fighting chance. Didn't think Law and Order was going to premiere this year. Thought it was going to be a January premiere.
Old 10-25-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Better timeslot, but I still can't see it getting any better than 5.5 to 6M viewers coming off of Knight Rider. Plus, Criminal Minds dominates the timeslot with between 15-17M viewers a week. If Life is lucky and I mean if, it could possibly finish 2nd in the timeslot against Private Practice.
Old 10-25-08, 01:32 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would have been nice if they tried to save Journeyman last season, and Jericho on CBS. But I guess its more important to have shows like Knight Rider.
Old 10-25-08, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by cousindave
Would have been nice if they tried to save Journeyman last season, and Jericho on CBS. But I guess its more important to have shows like Knight Rider.
Well, you have to blame the WGA strike for not being able to save Journeyman. All 13 episodes were written before the writers went on strike and FOX (who produced the show) decided to save some money by firing Kevin Falls, who created the show, during the strike. That was the nail in the coffin.

As for Jericho, there just wasn't any support from the fans during season 2 even though it aired during the strike. It was getting beaten by re-runs every week.

But staying on topic with this show, I think Ben Silverman and his bosses like Life and were willing to make the change to keep it on the air. Also, it helps that Life is an in-house production at NBC/Universal and probably doesn't cost that much.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-25-08 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-25-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome news. Life is not very far behind KR as it is, and that's comparing Wednesday to late Friday night. This should insure Life gets a full second season I would think.
Old 10-25-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm happy that Life is being moved and hopefully it will get a full season renewal.
Old 10-25-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually enjoy Lipstick Jungle, so I am sad to see it is being sent to pasture.
Old 10-25-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glad L&O is airing so soon. I really like the chemistry of the new cast.

Life to Wednesday-->
Old 10-26-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as they don;'t screw with Thursday night (and leave Kath and Kim on) I'm good.
Old 10-27-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I'm happy that Life is being moved and hopefully it will get a full season renewal.
+1

I was worried as I read that article that Lipstick was moving into its slot and Life was gone but not so! Very good news as this show gets better and better every week. Only thing I worry about is the slight serial nature of the series. Will it be able to garner new viewers at this stage of the game?
Old 10-27-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Wednesdays have been pretty empty for me (only FNL) so the return of L&O is welcomed.
Old 10-27-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Life has been getting good critical buzz.. looks like NBC is listening and trying to give it a real shot..
Old 10-27-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't move Scrubs to another night just for old times sake.
Old 10-27-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by madcougar
I'm surprised they didn't move Scrubs to another night just for old times sake.
Um, they did. They moved it to a WHOLE DIFFERENT NETWORK!

It is kind of odd though, this will be the third timeslot for Life with only seven episodes aired so far this season by this third move.
Old 10-27-08, 11:36 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
As long as they don;'t screw with Thursday night (and leave Kath and Kim on) I'm good.
The way that show's ratings have dropped from week-to-week, I'd be surprised if it makes it to 2009 in any timeslot.
Old 10-27-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Um, they did. They moved it to a WHOLE DIFFERENT NETWORK!
Well yeah. The premise of the joke being that they moved Scrubs around so much during its tenure on NBC that they moved it around one last time although it wasn't on the schedule.... nevermind.
Old 10-27-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
So they're finally sending Lipstick Jungle off to die.

And this should give Life a chance, though if it falls dramatically off of Knight Rider (which in itself only gets around 7m viewers), that's really not good (worse yet if Law & Order increases).
It never should have come back for a second season. Pretty horrible show.
They should have let Journeyman grow. Hell, they didn't even give that a second time slot.
Old 10-27-08, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
It never should have come back for a second season. Pretty horrible show.
They should have let Journeyman grow. Hell, they didn't even give that a second time slot.
You can probably thank the writers strike for that!

Chris
Old 10-27-08, 04:58 PM
Suspended

NBC America's most out of touch network.