Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "Dying Of the Light" -- 10.20.2008

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm two episodes in on my putting the show on a four episode countdown. I think it's probably going to survive, but it's going to hinge on killing some more characters and not doing any more stupid crap with time travel.

I hope things improve. I'd like to like this show.
Old 10-22-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Parkman's dorkiness, for lack of a better term, has been prevalent throughout the entire run of the show. Only, in rare occasions, do his have moments of "cool" (ie. 1st season, punching the guy boinking his wife, 2nd season, punking his dad).

That being said, I think he is one of favorite characters still, if only because I buy his being socially awkward.
Old 10-23-08, 10:52 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I can't remember if I asked this..

But is next weeks episode the end of the the "Villians" volume? They are doing 3 per season and we will be on episode 7 next week (22 episode season).
Old 10-23-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I watched this ep last night and I really enjoyed this episode. Here is why:

I fast forwarded through any scene with Hiro and Ando. Later on I asked a friend for the gist of their storyline that week, assuming that they will start to assimilate Hiro to the rest of crew soon. So I ask my friend for a short recap and she says "I don't know, I was going to call you after you watched it because I fast forwarded through all his scenes."

I had to call someone else.

After doing that I've begun to realize that I'm only watching the show out of necessity. I could have easily skipped the whole Russian Roulette thing because I knew exactly what would happen. I could have skipped the whole Mohinder/Nate/Whatever her name is stuff. The only parts I find any interest in are the Petrelli family stuff and that seems to be the main story of this volume so I'll stick with it, at least until 24, FNL and Lost come back in 2009 because then I'll have too many shows to watch to keep this around.
Old 10-23-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I was posting on here during all the Hiro/Ando scenes. You can essentially get the gist without reading the captions. I'm definitely looking forward to Jan/Feb. In addition to the shows you listed there is also Scrubs and Reaper not making an appearance until then.

Looks like a bunch have really jumped ship. Probably the best episode so far and we aren't even to 100 posts yet.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-23-08 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-23-08, 11:59 AM

just watched this last night, one of the best episodes this season. I like how flint got into fire mode when peter came in , as if he had a shot at taking peter down.
Old 10-23-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Looks like a bunch have really jumped ship. Probably the best episode so far and we aren't even to 100 posts yet.
I really don't blame them. The show is a shell of what it was in the first season. But for some reason the show manages to draw me in in the last few minutes and I just need to know what happens next week.

But I don't know how I feel about Peter losing all this powers and I can still do without 75% of the cast. Especially Hiro. They should seriously consider killing him off.
Old 10-23-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I can't remember if I asked this..

But is next weeks episode the end of the the "Villians" volume? They are doing 3 per season and we will be on episode 7 next week (22 episode season).
No. Villians is going to have 13 episodes and then the second volume this season is 12 episodes (25 total for the season).
Old 10-23-08, 03:08 PM

I hope they're planning ahead for a budget-be-damned all out fight with everyone, 'Kingdom Come' (DC Comics) style.

I agree that Claire is way too naive about her crusade, from a tactical perspective.

Am I the only one amazed that ALL of these special folks more or less hide their abilities? It just doesn't fit with our 15 minutes of fame no matter the cost world. I'd expect at least one of them to fashion a 'movie' superhero costume and publicly fight crime.

Anyone else think of Gary Oldman's future-creature Dr. Smith from that 'Lost in Space' movie when they saw Mohinder in the future a few episodes ago? I know we all get the 'Fly' reference, but future Mohinder was still upright/humanoid.
Old 10-23-08, 04:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by FatTony
No. Villians is going to have 13 episodes and then the second volume this season is 12 episodes (25 total for the season).
Gotcha. I could have swore I remember reading this season was three volumes.
Old 10-23-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey I am still loving this show there not much else to watch as most of NBC shows are not very good at all.
Old 10-23-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by hitmanjules
Am I the only one amazed that ALL of these special folks more or less hide their abilities? It just doesn't fit with our 15 minutes of fame no matter the cost world. I'd expect at least one of them to fashion a 'movie' superhero costume and publicly fight crime.
I always assumed the Company went out and captured, then covered up, anyone who publicly used their abilities, MIB style, especially with the Haitian being able to wipe minds. They must have done that earlier this season, after the bank robbery, right?

Just as well, if they were all as stupid as Claire (but with different powers) they'd just be shot full of holes when they went out in costume.

Hey, whatever happened to flying boyfriend, anyway?
Old 10-23-08, 06:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fujishig
Hey, whatever happened to flying boyfriend, anyway?
Or Micah. Or Monica. Or Nikki.

Season Two is best forgotten apparently.
Old 10-23-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to Fix Heroes in EW this week.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2023...ways+to+fix+it
Old 10-23-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Or Micah. Or Monica. Or Nikki.

Season Two is best forgotten apparently.
Nikki's apparently dead, and they at least showed Micah (who we can assume is still living with Monica and Uhura). I really don't remember what happened to flying boyfriend, though...

just looked it up and I had forgotten that Claire broke up with him and he flew away. I guess season two is best forgotten.

Not that I mind that they get rid of some characters, though.
Old 10-23-08, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can someone please give me the gist of what's the main plot going on here? I've watched every single episode of Heroes and i don't FULLY grasp what's going on.

My main confusion is the plot of the 'villains'. What are they trying to do exactly? Give everyone powers? I don't understand why Daphne is recruiting all these Heroes...

Thanks!
Old 10-23-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i like the episode too. not sure how i feel about the last part of the show with peter, but we shall see in the coming weeks.
Old 10-23-08, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Can someone please give me the gist of what's the main plot going on here? I've watched every single episode of Heroes and i don't FULLY grasp what's going on.

My main confusion is the plot of the 'villains'. What are they trying to do exactly? Give everyone powers? I don't understand why Daphne is recruiting all these Heroes...

Thanks!
I assumed that dapne was gathering up the heroes to "feed" their powers to arthur petrelli.

Another thing, all the company has to do to stop pinehearst is get the Haitian and then take them out.
Old 10-24-08, 12:26 AM

Why haven't Pineheart just used a normal person to kill the Haitian? I feel that will be a final step before the big fight. I agree that de-powering Peter made good dramatic sense. I wonder if Fire-Mom could be recruited to the Villains seeing as how her opposite, Ali Larter, wields ice powers?

I know it's nitpicking, but would it kill the show to incorporate a hint of (here's an oxymoron) realism to their powers? I remember an X-Files episode where some teens had super-speed and a nice touch was to show his closet FULL of the same pair of shoes because he wore them out so quick. The Flash, Wally West has to eat a lot because of his metabolism. Blur, another speedster wears Oakley-style racing goggles because of the insects that would otherwise collect in his face just like the front of a car. These details just help ground the science of their powers more.
Old 10-24-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If losing his powers let his age catch up with Adam why didnt the Haitian have the same effect on Adam when he was near him?
Old 10-24-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrush
If losing his powers let his age catch up with Adam why didnt the Haitian have the same effect on Adam when he was near him?
Was Adam near the Haitian? I can't remember.

Although i think Pa Petrelli stealing Adam's power was kick ass the way it played out, I also think it would've worked if Adam had stayed young and alive after the power was pinched, but then have "fear brothah" pop a cap into the back of his skull.
Old 10-24-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I just got my newest EW in the mail and Heroes is on the cover. They have a 3-4 page article on how the show is "broken" and their fixes. The amazing thing is that everything they mentioned has been posted here at some point. So none of it will come as a surprise to anyone here. It's almost as if the author is a regular here.

Their points included:

- weeding out the giant cast and killing off some characters so that we actually care about them. There's little tension as it is now. A lot of the characters seem pointless at this point like Parkman and his African jaunt and Suresh's Fly ripoff. Hiro and Ando are largely stale at this point as well.

- Dump time travel because of all the swiss cheese plot holes it creates not to mention it's hard to keep track of at this point.

- making characters do dumb 'out-of-character' things just to advance the story (Suresh injecting himself says hello, and Hiro says konnichiha)

- get the show grounded back in reality. No one has a normal life anymore. Point being, what made season 1 shine was that they were normal folks coping with abilities. Peter was a nurse, Claire a high schooler/cheerleader, Nikki/Jessica stripping to pay debts, Parkman a cop, etc.

Plus a bunch of others I'm forgetting. One thing they really hated was Vortex man. I thought he was one of the coolest additions since the first season and hope he returns.

Mild spoiler about a returning cast member:
Spoiler:
Kristen Bell will return in a couple of weeks for a Sylar flashback and it alludes to her being the reason he is the way he is
Old 10-24-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are the new episodes re-shown anywhere but online?
Old 10-24-08, 02:08 PM
Suspended

Gonna pick up that EW today...I should just buy a damn subscription for $15.
Old 10-24-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yesterday, I went ahead and read chapter 65 - 108 of the online novels. They did a back story of the 2 agents that tried to capture Sylar on the day he took Claire's power.
Spoiler:
What was so dumb is that the husband told Sylar is he's the one with power so Sylar killed the girl. Sylar open the guy's head and find out he has no power. Then he just left, didn't bother to take her power. Since when is a dead person no longer useful for Sylar to take the power? In season 1, he was killing all the characters and take their power. Frigging writers with their inconsistency.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.