Old 03-23-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Anakin eating the bugs was hilarious.
No Joe Rogan cameo though
Old 03-23-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I'm still surprised they didn't slip in a Lion King reference there.

Also, I just remembered something from the first ep (of the new ones) where they're debating making Anakin a Knight, and they mention the trials. I believe I caught Trial of the Flesh, Trial of Skill and Trial of the Spirit. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time we've actually seen names for the trials, unless they're in a book I haven't read. Anyone know?
Old 03-23-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Anakin eating the bugs was hilarious.
Agreed. Having him casually slurping up that huge worm was great.

I'm really loving this new season. As much as I enjoyed the first 20 episodes, I thought that the short running times was nuts. Seeing how much more they can do storywise with even just a few more minutes of time only reinforces that belief...
Old 03-23-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today's episode was incredible. I can't believe how some of the action rivals that of the movies.
Old 03-23-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely another winner episode... although I question the logic of Obi/Anakin going off on this random trek while things are clearly heating up to the point of meltdown. Maybe this will become clearer in the final two episodes -- but if the council was in such a darn hurry to promote Jedi (even skipping 'The Trials'), why send two of the best you have on an adventure that has little/nothing to do with the war?

Again, maybe I'll see where this is leading and it'll all make sense.

These are fantastic shows, though. I just re-watched Chapters 1-20 on DVD tonight. Watching them all in one seamless 70-minute program was great.
Old 03-23-05, 07:12 PM

Obi-Wan and Anakin left to go find Grievious. Remember when Palpatine and Mace told them they had good intelligence that he was last seen at this planet? It's all part of Palpy's plot to get them away from Coruscant and the invasion.
Old 03-23-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So, I have a kinda snarky question...is this considered "cannon"...? I'm getting kinda tired of trying to figure out what is and what isn't..
Very simple. The movies are canon. Everything else takes a back seat, even the novels. Don't make it anymore complicated than that. EU is not canon, and never will be canon. That includes videogames, EU books and novels.
Old 03-23-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Terrel, I realize this discussion may get ugly, but don't you think that Lucas specifically asking Genndy, et al, to do another set of episodes, and it basically being the Ep 3 text crawl, it's a little more canon than even some of the novels? I seem to recall Lucasfilm actually had a tiered list of canon-icity that had like the movies first, then the screenplays, then the novels, etc. Do they not go by that anymore?

Some of the details may not be precise in these eps, but Lucas seems to have actually put a little more effort into this than say, the old Droids and Ewoks cartoons.

Does the official site even answer questions anymore? I know they used to post questions like this with answers from Jocasta Nu and the cast and crew, but I don't think it's been updated in ages. This seems like a good question for that.
Old 03-24-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

and it basically being the Ep 3 text crawl, it's a little more canon than even some of the novels?
milo, I guess people can look at it anyway they want. For me and according to what Lucas has said in the past, the movies are canon. Everything else is not. Of course, now Sansweet claims there are different levels of canon. I personally believe that's a bunch of bunk. Something is either canon or it's not. It can't be level 2 canon or level 3 canon as far as I'm concerned.

For me, the films are canon and they take precedence over anything and everything. If it's not in the film, it doesn't matter. But that's just me.

but don't you think that Lucas specifically asking Genndy, et al, to do another set of episodes
I certainly see your point, but for me, they're not canon. I believe it was the smart thing to do, have Season 3 of the Clone Wars depict what happens in the ROTS crawl. Every now and then, Lucas has some smart ideas. But I don't believe that Lucas sees them as canon either. Just a very exciting, cool addition to the EU world.

Does the official site even answer questions anymore?
I haven't even checked anymore, so I'm not sure. They usually ask and answer these type questions in the Jedi Council section, which I rarely ever frequent.
Old 03-24-05, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say canon in this situation because it is the title crawl. Meaning that it is in the movie.
Old 03-24-05, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Each episode has been better than the one prior to it. Too bad this volume couldn't be released on DVD in time for the final movie.
Old 03-24-05, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I just finished the "Clone Wars" Season 1 dvd about 15 minutes ago and in the extras this one guy at Cartoon Network said that Lucas called him after the 1st season and he wanted new eps to fill in the gap between episodes. Lucas wanted him to show what happens during the Clone War between the movies and to specifically lead people up to the events in EP III. Lucas, who's also in the same extra feature, was talking about how EP II shows the start of the war, The cartoon will show what happened during the war, and EP III will show the end of the war.

Did I misunderstand something?
Old 03-24-05, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What exactly is your question? That seems to be pretty much it.
Old 03-24-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
What exactly is your question? That seems to be pretty much it.

I thought people were wondering whether or not Clone Wars is "canon". So I was trying to add what I had seen this morning.

(edited due to crap typing and no re-read)

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-25-05 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-24-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by treszoks
Obi-Wan and Anakin left to go find Grievious. Remember when Palpatine and Mace told them they had good intelligence that he was last seen at this planet? It's all part of Palpy's plot to get them away from Coruscant and the invasion.
I understand that.

My point is that they got to the planet, and Grievious isn't there. Why are they wasting time sitting with the natives around a campfire and sending Anakin on a 'vision quest' or whatever? Why don't they get the hell out of there? The storyline just doesn't seem to fit with the urgency of the war that has been indicated earlier.

As far as canon goes, Terrell is right. Lucas has said time and again -- if it ain't in the movies, it ain't his story. It doesn't matter if Lucas 'approves' of it, asked for it, or provided them with story notes -- it isn't canon.
Old 03-24-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
They killed the ceremonial beast of another culture. The Jedis are righteous, they can't just murder something sacred and run. (Well Anakin might want to, but Obi- "Goody Goody Two Shoes" -Wan won't let him)
Old 03-24-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
They killed the ceremonial beast of another culture. The Jedis are righteous, they can't just murder something sacred and run. (Well Anakin might want to, but Obi- "Goody Goody Two Shoes" -Wan won't let him)
Eh. I'm sure that's the reasoning that the writers used, but I don't buy it.

They've been having three years of major conflict over hundreds of worlds. I'm sure that tons of civilians have been killed, major temples destroyed, culturally important sites desecrated, and other things that happen in war. If there are so few Jedi left, they wouldn't stop every time something like this happens to make sure that the local cultures aren't negatively impacted. Especially for something that seems as trivial as this -- the ruining of a rite of passage for a single individual. Maybe I'm missing something...

Anyway, I didn't want to stress this too much. It isn't ruining the show for me. I just wish they had come up with a better reason for keeping them on the planet and away from Coruscant.
Old 03-24-05, 10:02 AM

Well I think they also wanted to have Anakin go through the full Jedi Knight trials so this is a setup for the final trial of the spirit.
Old 03-24-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I thought people were wonering whather or not Clone Wars is "canon". So I was trying to add what I had saw this morning.
Well, I already used that argument and it was shot down. I guess we just need another ruling from the flanneled one.
Old 03-24-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That was some incredible action. Mace Droid Starfighter-surfing, Yoda on what I'd like to think was a Taun-taun, dispensing of Droid Transport ships. Damn good stuff.
Old 03-24-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty cool episode tonight.

Did anyone fully understand the significance of the hieroglyphics? I didn't quite get it.
Old 03-24-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Did anyone fully understand the significance of the hieroglyphics? I didn't quite get it.
guy gets power (claw thing) from fighting - guy uses power for good - everyone is impressed - guy goes too far with his power and before he knows it he's killed everyone he knows, including his wife/gf

another great episode.
Old 03-24-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very nice episode with the hieroglyphics and all. I'm guessing we're also seeing the group that will help rebuild Anakin after he goes crispy-critter.
Old 03-24-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Very nice episode with the hieroglyphics and all.
I felt like I was watching Ice Age or Prince of Egypt when this was going on. Good ending to it, though!
Old 03-24-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Very nice episode with the hieroglyphics and all.
Agreed. Tomorrow is the last chapter.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.