TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Wars: The Clone Wars -- CGI animated series -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sixth & Final Season Of ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ To Stream On Netflix

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Consider yourself lucky your Internet provider isn't secretly throttling Netflix. Verizon is attempting to extort Netflix for more money by throttling the service to its Internet customers. I haven't got a reliable HD stream from Netflix in two months and I have a premium Fiber optic connection.
If it's extortion, it's extortion Netflix has already caved to for Comcast. I'd really love to read a good write-up on the issues involved. The concepts of net neutrality (which was apparently recently struck down) vs a provider's right to manage the performance of their network. Netflix IS a ridiculously huge drain on the country's bandwidth. Yet, the ISP's seems to think people should pay $50/month (or more) to read e-mail -- with 50mbps connections.

I've never had the best luck with streaming. It's definitely not a way I prefer to watch any content. I simply don't have time for "buffering". And I get that even when the transfer rate is way below my max. Just the other day, when trying to stream something from HBO's site, I got seemingly 2 second of content followed by 3 seconds of buffering. I just stopped watching.

I stopped watching the Clone Wars in S1. However, I've read the final arc will be very Yoda-centric. I'm interested in taking a look. But even though I'm interested, I'm far more likely to just wait for the DVD's to come out. I'm in no mood to have 2 characters about to clash light sabers and then... "buffering..."
Old 03-07-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I have timewarner and have had zero problems. Even while streaming at work, zero problems. Come to think about it never had a problem with netflix.
Old 03-07-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by klemsaba
The first 12 episodes of season six are up as well as the entire series. The best part... they are in 2.35:1 widescreen aspect ratio! Finally we get to see the show as it was meant to be viewed instead of waiting for Blu-ray.

Thank you Netflix and Disney!
Sweet.

Looking forward to watching the series w/ the kids.
Old 03-07-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Anyone have a list of the eps. that can be omitted? I have heard that while some are good, there are some filler eps. that serve no purpose.

I have to say, this has a lot more humor than the movies.
Old 03-08-14, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Fixed. Disney cancelled The Clone Wars and Netflix is a piece of shit.
At least the show is getting a proper send off.

I watched the first 3 episodes tonight on the PS3. The presentation and format were exceptional! Much better than it ever was on Cartoon Network.

Liked the small reference in the first episode to the movie Aliens with the automatic sentry guns and the clone troopers sealing themselves in the control room!
Old 03-08-14, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

I watched the first episode of season 1 last night to check it out on Netflix. I can't really tell much difference between the stream and my bluray copy. It looks and sounds great.

I have a couple friends coming over tomorrow and we are going to binge watch the entire new season.
Old 03-08-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is after midnight and the episodes aren't up. Unbelieveable. What a service!
They were up at 12:00 am PST on the dot just like all their other new releases.
Old 03-08-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

God forbid you have to actually search for anything... must be extremely hard for you.
Old 03-08-14, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I haven't streamed Netflix in a few months and I have to say that the first episode looks like complete shit. I'm on Fios and I had no idea they made the service this bad.
Old 03-09-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

So I signed up for the free month trial of Netflix, in preparation of this. What an abysmal selection. I was disappointed with Hulu Plus; but even moreso with this, since I know how many people subscribe. I'll definitely be cancelling before the month is up.
Did you check out the original content? House Of Cards, Orange Is The New Black, Lillyhammer are quality shows. Also you should look into turning Netflix region free. There's a ton of content only available in other Countries.
Old 03-09-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I haven't streamed Netflix in a few months and I have to say that the first episode looks like complete shit. I'm on Fios and I had no idea they made the service this bad.
FiOS has been purposely slowing Netflix down until they pay the piper.
Old 03-09-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Just finished up watching the whole 6th season. Simply outstanding. Not a bad episode in the bunch. Really leads into Episode 3 now. No problems with Netflix streaming (I'm on TWC)... full HD and 5.1.
Old 03-11-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They might have been up, but they weren't appearing in the search for anyone. Someone had the direct page link and was sharing that. That was the only way to access the episodes when they first went up. Shitty service is shitty.
Originally Posted by csant
God forbid you have to actually search for anything... must be extremely hard for you.
They might have been up, but they weren't appearing in the search for anyone. Someone had the direct page link and was sharing that. That was the only way to access the episodes when they first went up. Shitty service is shitty.
Old 03-17-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just watched through season 6 yesterday. Liked them all except for the Jar Jar two-parter. Aliens with Indian accents now? Ugh.

Pretty dark season. I was also very surprised they actually got
Spoiler:
Liam Neeson to do Qui-Gon

Only other thing that was kind of weird was having a few episodes of Ian Abercrombie voicing Palp/Sidious again, but then back to Curry later in the season. I have to assume those episodes with Abercrombie were already done before he stopped doing the show.
Old 03-17-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Jar Jar/Mace two parter was horrible.
Old 03-17-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
The Jar Jar/Mace two parter was horrible.
This is a joke, right? Jar Jar gets a two-parter with Mace Windu?

It is essential to read an episode guide before watching this series. Someone really needs to setup a website that cuts out the many bad and meaningless episodes.
Old 03-17-14, 05:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I don't get the force ghost stuff. before any of the prequel shit came out, I just assumed all Jedi's would live on as a force ghost if they weren't on the Dark Side. now, with the prequels, none of them could do it, until Yoda goes ahead and does it... by fighting his inner demons, or whatever. Fine, he went through some tough trials, and now earned the right to be a force ghost. So, then, how are Obi Wan and Annakin Skywalker able to do it in the OT? and why was Qui Gon able to reach out as just a voice?
Old 03-17-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I don't get the force ghost stuff. before any of the prequel shit came out, I just assumed all Jedi's would live on as a force ghost if they weren't on the Dark Side. now, with the prequels, none of them could do it, until Yoda goes ahead and does it... by fighting his inner demons, or whatever. Fine, he went through some tough trials, and now earned the right to be a force ghost. So, then, how are Obi Wan and Annakin Skywalker able to do it in the OT? and why was Qui Gon able to reach out as just a voice?
These answer to all those questions is simple: it was the will of the midichlorians. Or put another way, a wizard did it.
Old 03-17-14, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Qui Gon was more in tune with the "living force" then the other Jedi so he maintained conciousness after death. He wasn't trained to do so it just happened. Yoda trained and as we heard in RoTS he trained Obi in the time before ANH. Annakin makes no sense no matter how you slice it.
Old 01-01-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars -- CGI animated series -- Discussion Thread

So there's a separate thread for Season 7, but I think my question may better fit here.

After watching The Mandalorian season 2, decided to finally watch Clone Wars while I have Disney+ . Except, I've heard that it starts off really rough, so I want to skip the bad episodes, at least at the beginning, unless they're otherwise essential to the show. I don't have a problem with "filler" episodes, since I'm not in a rush to finish the show, as long as they're still good episodes.

Also, I don't care about watching it in the chronological order Lucasfilm later set out.

So, I've done some research. First, there's lists of "essential" episodes, with maybe this list being the most prominent (image spoilered for size)
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Th...Guide/id/77657
Spoiler:

Then, there's some guides showing IMDB user ratings:
Spoiler:

Based on that, I've decided on the following viewing guide for season 1 (episodes being watched in bold):
Ambush
Rising Malevolence
Shadow of Malevolence
Destroy Malevolence

Rookies
Downfall of a Droid
Duel of the Droids
Bombad Jedi
Cloak of Darkness
Lair of Grievous

Dooku Captured
The Gungan General
Jedi Crash
Defenders of Peace
Trespass
The Hidden Enemy

Blue Shadow Virus
Mystery of a Thousand Moors
Storm of Ryloth
Innocents of Ryloth
Liberty on Ryloth
Hostage Crisis

I think from season 2 on I'll just watch it straight through, since the overall IMDB ratings seem better, with only the occasional dud.

Also, some other watchlists, this one up through Season 5:
https://watchlist.neocities.org/

And this one through Season 6:
https://www.georgeshawmusic.com/post...-episode-guide
Old 01-01-21, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

It's been ages since I've watched Clone Wars, though watching select season one episodes and going through season two on would probably be a good plan. There's some really good stuff in there (like Ahsoka Tano's storyline in season five), but a fair amount of cheese, too.

It does sort of improve the Prequels by giving them some context, but I find it feels like of awkward to shoe-horn an apprentice for Anakin in between Eps II and III. She is essentially the main protagonist in the Clone Wars series, and it's strange that she isn't even hinted at Revenge of the Sith -- granted, it's because nobody thought of her until well after the film came out, but still...

Also, if you're watching it to get background on The Mandalorian, you should probably also watch some Rebels episodes, too, if you haven't already, as Ahsoka Tano, Bo Katan, the Darksaber, and Grand Admiral Thrawn are featured there.

(I always found the Mandalore stories on Clone Wars and Rebels to be kind of dull, though. A lot of infighting families and sitting around discussing politics, from what I recall.)
Old 01-01-21, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

My girlfriend and I went in chronological order. Messed up a couple times and it didn’t matter a ton. We watched the movie first when there are supposed to be a couple episodes (I believe) before it.

I think aspects of the show do flow better when viewed chronologically. Really mainly the first few seasons are out of order. Seems like it isn’t as much from season four onwards.

Great show though. I will agree that the first season or so is rocky. A big issue is the animation is really kind of jarring and weird to get used to. My girlfriend and I are close to the end season five already and I’m sad that we’re almost done with it.

I feel like I have a much greater appreciation for the prequels now, and honestly the show adds a ton of much needed backstory to various characters and really fleshes out the story.

To me it is a bit stupid that since Disney acknowledges the chronological order of the show they don’t have an option to watch it that way on Disney+. Doesn’t seem like it would take much for them to organize them that way for people who prefer that order. Instead you have to go through the seasons and pick out the right episodes. I wound up printing the list from the Star Wars website and have been using it for reference.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-01-21 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-01-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Also, if you're watching it to get background on The Mandalorian, you should probably also watch some Rebels episodes, too, if you haven't already, as Ahsoka Tano, Bo Katan, the Darksaber, and Grand Admiral Thrawn are featured there.
I'm planning to go through all of Clone Wars, and then watch Rebels. Are there episodes to skip in Rebels too?
Old 01-01-21, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

The main thing I remember about Rebels (I watched it live on the Disney channel and don't have it on disc) is that the important stuff seemed to happen in the season openers, the midseason cliffhangers, and the season finales. The first season was kind of iffy, the second season was better, the third season was pretty good, and the fourth season was the strongest. It also seemed to get more arc intensive as it went along.

Pulled this list off of Reddit, and it's probably not a bad guide for the best episodes...

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a few characters from Rebels show up in either The Mandalorian or one of the D+ series coming up set in the post-ROTJ era. Also wouldn't be surprised if one in particular was in the Rogue Squadron film.
Old 01-01-21, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

"The Call" is a must watch? A full episode about Space Whales is where I tapped out on the series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.