90210 (The CW) -- Discussion Thread -- Reboot of '90s Series

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

90210 (The CW) -- Discussion Thread -- Reboot of '90s Series

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who played rob estes' high school girlfriend?

She looks familiar but I cannot place her.

christina moore...

she was laurie #2 on that 70's show....and coincidentally appeared on one episode of BH 90210 as "sexy anchor"(actually imdb lists it as her first credit.)

Last edited by maxpower; 09-03-08 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-03-08, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
no, that is what she wants to be called as a first name. she is even billed as Erin "Silver" Silver in credits. so actually she wants to be Silver Silver.
I think you're making this too complicated.

She just wants to be called Silver. Her full name is Erin Silver. She goes by Silver.
Old 09-03-08, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Just watched it and thought it was okay.

Pros:
Rob Estes and Lori Loughlin: I thought they were very believable as a married couple and had good chemistry. Estes was really good and I thought his character was the strongest of the cast.

Jennie Garth and Shannen Doherty: I thought they both looked really good. The nostalgia factor was nice.

The Peach Pit and Nat: Although Nat only had like 3 lines.

Shenae Grimes (Annie): I really liked her. I thought she was really cute and had alot of charisma. She really looked like a younger version of Lori Loughlin. I think among all the kids, she was the strongest actress.

Cons:

The writing was all over the place. I think they tried to do way too much in these 2 episodes.

Tristan Wilds (Dixon): I thought he was awful.

AnnaLynne McCord (Naomi): I thought she was awful as well and I just could not believe that she is 15 going on 16.

Dustin Milligan (Ethan): Another awful actor. He had zero chemistry with AnnaLynne and Shenae.

Silver and her stupid video blogs

The show has alot of kinks to work out. I thought it was watchable, but without the 90210 brand name and Jennie Garth and Shannen, this show would be toast.

BTW, I read that Shannen is only contracted to be in 4 total episodes (3 more after tonight)

Jennie's contract is open-ended , so she will be around more.

Did it live up to the hype? Nope, but I will keep watching.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-03-08 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-03-08, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya

Tristan Wilds (Dixon): I thought he was awful.
Didn't watch the show, but flipped it on at the last 5 minutes to see Tristan Wilds. All I can say is that if everyone thought he was awful, then I blame the writing, because the kid was absolutely brilliant on "The Wire".
Old 09-03-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
AnnaLynne McCord (Naomi): I thought she was awful as well and I just could not believe that she is 15 going on 16.
In reality, McCord is 20 playing 15 ... ick.

This casting of older guys and gals to play high school kids is nothing new I realize but doesn't make it any easier to stomach.

Ryan Matthews plays a high school teacher who is suppose to be flirting too heavily with McCord's character in future episodes. In reality, he's probably only three years older. I notice that his age isn't listed in IMDB.com ... how convenient. But he graduated college in 2006 so, do the math.

In the very opening scene I didn't immediately know who was the daughter and who was the mother when only getting a face view of the Wilson's arriving to Hollywood in their van.

The original 90210 had the same problem but at least some could play younger than they were (Ian and Jason Priestly). Luke Perry already looked 25 (which is what he was) from the very first episode ... yuk.

You watch. If the black kid bombs, look for a replacement by a white dude, Annie Wilson's rebellious twin brother, who has been away at military school/juvenile hall etc. to return to the family.
Old 09-03-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Ok so I only saw bits and pieces of it, haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the whole thing yet, but from what I saw it looked terrible. While I love Gossip Girl this looked almost unwatchable. Is it worth sitting down and watching the whole 2 hours?
Old 09-03-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i thought it was fine - a few too many boring storylines (the acting chick skipping her audition and doing drugs - bleh) but overall it was light and trashy, like 90210 should be... plus I do love Shenae Grimes. I'll give it a few weeks, hopefully Sachs and Judah fix it up as it goes because I love me some Freaks & Geeks and Life As We Know It (minus Kelly Osborne).
Old 09-03-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
You would think they'd come out of the box with some really solid dialouge, but alas...it was nowhere to be found.
Old 09-03-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched this, despite never having watched the original. So the nostalgia part was completely lost on me. I thought Shannen Doherty looked like she has done some extremely rough living, though.

I thought the first hour was fairly decent and held my interest. The second hour though was completely boring and I found my mind wandering to other things. Maybe it was just trying to watch this in a 2-hour block. I'll stick with for a few weeks.

I agree about the token black character - he was awful and his entire storyline was dull. I was getting a Pete from Smallville vibe from him.
Old 09-03-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished the show in 20 minutes with my DVR. Pretty boring.
Old 09-03-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
That sucks for the folks in Chicago! Better cross your fingers that the Cubs game doesn't go into Extra Innings.
it did... Cubs lost in 11 innings.

90210 should have been on 7:00-9:00PM, but was on instead at Midnight-2:00AM.
Old 09-03-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay I thought it was mildly entertaining. But it IS a Gossip Girl rip-off. When they were flying back from SF, I almost was expecting to hear the narrator chime in - alas no Kristen Bell.

So wait now Silver's explanation about the tattoo that she and Naomi share to Annie makes NO SENSE. She claims that they were in 8th grade when Naomi blabbed her secret which ended their friendship. So what? They got matching tattoos when they were like THIRTEEN!?!??! Come on! That's just bad writing.

And who would be stressing out about being the only one that "caught" Ethan getting the hummer? It looked to me like he was parked in the front of the school before first period (Annie was just walking in). Like she would have been the only person who witnessed something THAT BRAZEN? Isn't Ethan a popular kid? Absolutely other people would have seen that too.

Finally we have Annie running into Ty Collins who is "rehearsing" in a classroom with the DOOR OPEN!?!?! Um no - or else your HOPING to be distracted/interrupted by anyone passing in the hallway. Sloppy way to get them introduced to each other.

I think this show was sponsored by 7UP. Everyone's soda cans in the cafeteria were either 7UP, A&W Root Beer, Sunkist or Dr. Pepper. And NONE of the girls were drinking diet versions of those sodas even though all Annie was having for lunch was a tiny "sensible" salad? Right...
Old 09-03-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I kinda liked it. Do we know who the father of Kelly's baby is?
Old 09-03-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
If it wasn't for the tie in to old school 90210, this would have felt like a generic parody of these types of shows simply called "TEEN DRAMA". Everything has already been done by other shows, and executed a hell of a lot better. The 90210 nostalgia is going to wear off quickly, and this show is going to have nothing else to offer.

I had the same exact impression. It's like they used every soap/teen cliche and threw it in. Kind of like Not Another Teen Movie with teen movies except that this isn't supposed to be a parody.
Old 09-03-08, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
I kinda liked it. Do we know who the father of Kelly's baby is?
I hope they don't drag this one along. Just tell us if it's Brandon, Dylan, or some other dude. I'd be real cool to see the old gang back together for Homecoming weekend, which will probably never happen. The kid who plays Dixon was a cold blooded killer on The Wire and played the role with absolute perfection, but looks to be having a hard time with his new role which is on the other end of the spectrum. I was joking with my wife that he learned his lacrosse skills while on set of The Wire since Baltimore is the hot spot for the sport.
Old 09-03-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
Not much love for the show around here. Even the positive comments aren't exactly brimming with enthusiasm. I don't know. Might still check this one out.
Old 09-03-08, 10:34 AM

I DVR'd it and only watched the first hour and the first few minutes of the second hour(it was late).

Honestly this is no worse than the first year of the original 90210. That's not to say it's good. It isn't. It's very reminiscent of Gossip Girl or the later years of One Tree Hill in that most of the kids are bland.

What these shows are all missing is wit. The first and most of the fourth seasons of The O.C. had it. None of these other series do. It's not enough anymore to have a collection of hot-looking actors(and 90210 can't even get that part right) who hook up with one another. I have no doubt Jessica Walter will add some spunk to the show, but she's in her 60's. They need some interesting younger characters or this show won't go anywhere.
Old 09-03-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zuffy
Finished the show in 20 minutes with my DVR. Pretty boring.
I viewed the last hour the same way. I was really bored.

Was Rob Estes in the original show at all?
Old 09-03-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude

I think Jake was the only real cross over. That said I didn't really watch the last few seasons of the original so I'm not positive.
Old 09-03-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I viewed the last hour the same way. I was really bored.

Rob Estes played Kyle McBride on Melrose Place. He's a new character on 90210. Entertainment Weekly reported that Dean Cain was actually the 1st choice to play Harry.

BTW, that was a bad photoshop job of his younger self and Jennie Garth.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-03-08 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-03-08, 12:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I caught the first hour -- was not too impressed. On the fence whether or not to finish it.
Old 09-03-08, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Its a hit!
Tuesday's two-hour premiere was seen by 4.9 million viewers and garnered a 2.6 rating among adults 18-40. That surpasses the CW's previous scripted record in the adult demo by 18%, set by a premiere of the long-running cult favorite "Smallville" (2.2). The "90210" number also ties the network's premiere record once reached by reality hit "America’s Next Top Model." The CW enjoyed a rare full-night victory, besting all broadcast competitors to win the evening in the adult demo. Among the network's women 18-34 target, "90210" was the CW's highest-rated scripted telecast ever (4.3/12).
Old 09-03-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sat down and watched it and it wasn't nearly as bad as the few minutes that I watched live last night. Still have to believe that Naomi is only 15-16 and the sister is way to skinny, needs to eat a little more then that little salad for lunch.
Old 09-03-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a few thoughts....

-Jennie Garth looked great. I think she looks hotter now than she did 15 years ago on the original 90210. Shannen Doherty? Not so much. Her facial features seem to get more sharp by the day, and I find myself being more bothered by her gap tooth and one of her eyes being way lower than the other more than ever.

-I already cannot stand the actress playing Annie, or her character for that matter. Every line delivered and every facial expression is so exaggerated.

-I hated AnnaLynne McCord on Nip/Tuck, and she is just as bad here.
Old 09-03-08, 01:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Missed the beginning....

Did they use the same theme song / credits-style as the old show?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.