Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Night Lights News---Smash & Street dropped to "Guest Stars"

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Friday Night Lights News---Smash & Street dropped to "Guest Stars"

Frankly, I think this makes sense creatively. Street has been annoying and useless in the story arc since he broke his neck and he's already 2 years out of High School. I guess Smash is being dropped since he's away at College.

I'm miss seeing Smash every episode, but I'm fine with Street's departure.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/07/...ive-frida.html

I've been dreading this day. Ever since Friday Night Lights' odds-defying renewal (thanks, DirecTV!), pessimistic fans like myself have been waiting for the other cleat to drop. And now we can stop waiting. Sources confirm to me exclusively that two of the show's MVPs, Gaius Charles (Smash) and Scott Porter (Jason), have been taken off contract and will only appear on a recurring basis in Season 3. Although NBC isn’t talking, I’m told the decision was made for both budgetary and creative reasons.

Total bummer, I know, but not a complete surprise. In the case of Smash, executive producer Jason Katims conceded that finding a way to justify hanging onto his college-bound running back would be difficult. “The Smash story definitely creates a challenge for us,” he told me back in May. “He will presumably have graduated [when we return in the fall]. It's definitely going to require some finessing and the right balance between taking the right amount of poetic license, but not doing anything that would question the authenticity and believability that is so important to our show.”

Similarly, maintaining the viability of Jason – the Panthers' ex-starting quarterback who was left paralyzed by a Season 1 injury – has also presented challenges. One possible exit strategy has Jason leaving Dillon to start a new life with his pregnant girlfriend.

One thing you can be sure of: Katims remains committed to bringing both characters' storylines to a satisfying conclusion. As one insider assures, "He has too much respect for the fans — as well as both actors — to leave them hanging like that."

I would expect nothing less from Katims. But enough about me, I’m anxious to hear from you, my fellow FNL loyalists: Sad to see Smash and Jason go? Comforted by the fact that they’ll at least be around long enough to wrap up their storylines? Praying FNL gets some long overdue Emmy love when nominations are announced next Thursday? Comment below!
Old 07-08-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I'm ok with those two becoming only "recurring" characters. Now if they got rid of Coach, Misses Coach, Saracen, or that lance kid I would be furious.
Old 07-08-08, 08:13 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No!

I can deal with Street being demoted.. but not Smash!

Smash rules.

that sucks

i guess i'm just glad the show is still on
Old 07-08-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I think it's a great decision for both. Nice to see a show cutting headlining actors for creative reasons (well, ok, budgetary, too :P)
Old 07-08-08, 10:13 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is Riggins still in school? Or did he graduate (or stop going to school)?
Old 07-09-08, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lwhy?
I'm ok with those two becoming only "recurring" characters. Now if they got rid of Coach, Misses Coach, Saracen, or that lance kid I would be furious.
Thanks for typing out my post for me.

Old 07-09-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I love how Ausiello is disappointed but everyone here is glad. He has obviously been watching a different show than all of us. Street was worhtless last season and Smash is hit or miss. I would have been more impressed if they got rid of Lyla. Hell make it a trifecta and dump her anyway.

Actually, the girl who played Landry's nerdy rebound is joining Heroes so I doubt she will be back either. Tyra's in the clear. Personally I hope they develop Santiago a little more and lay off the 'life of crime' past and focus on his future in football.
Old 07-09-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me. I never expected the HS football players to be long term regulars to begin with.
Old 07-09-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Makes perfect sense to me. I never expected the HS football players to be long term regulars to begin with.
+1 I was worried that we'd be hampered with the same cast like 90210. So does next season start with year 3? Just curious because they've not really resolved the Panthers' football season and I'd like them to wrap that up a little before moving on to Matt Saracen's senior year. They need to start replacing the players on the team and develop new students to follow.
Old 07-09-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm for it. Street wasn't given much to work with this season and felt really shoehorned into the episodes. I can't deal with another car ad like the last season.

And Smash, yeah, they really did good by letting him go and be free in his football career. the excuses for him hanging around would have been 90210ish.
Old 07-09-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rfduncan
+1 I was worried that we'd be hampered with the same cast like 90210. So does next season start with year 3? Just curious because they've not really resolved the Panthers' football season and I'd like them to wrap that up a little before moving on to Matt Saracen's senior year. They need to start replacing the players on the team and develop new students to follow.

I assume it will pick up where it left off. My question is this is a full 22-episode season or is it shorter? I don't know what the DirecTV/NBC deal entailed.
Old 07-09-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, in order to make this show work, some characters have to move on. Gotta keep bringing in fresh players. That's how it works.
Old 07-09-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I'll miss Smash's mom more than him or Street.
Old 07-09-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I assume it will pick up where it left off. My question is this is a full 22-episode season or is it shorter? I don't know what the DirecTV/NBC deal entailed.
I believe it is a 13 episode order which the producers were very happy about. I'm hoping that means they wont have to pad the storylines as much....
Old 07-09-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I believe it is a 13 episode order which the producers were very happy about. I'm hoping that means they wont have to pad the storylines as much....

Then I would certainly bet that it will pick up right where last season left off (in the middle of the football season). Then the next season, hopefully there will be one, will be a senior Saracen.
Old 07-09-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scott Porter (Street) has always been the worst actor on this show. He'd fit right in on a normal show but FNL has so many great actors, he stuck out big time. On the other hand, Smash (and his family) will be missed.
Old 07-09-08, 09:58 AM
Suspended

Then I would certainly bet that it will pick up right where last season left off (in the middle of the football season). Then the next season, hopefully there will be one, will be a senior Saracen.
i hope Saracen's hot live in girlfriend comes back

i'm also wondering if they will revisit the Landry and his Dad and the stationwagon storyline... since that could come back to bite them.

Originally Posted by BDLOU
Scott Porter (Street) has always been the worst actor on this show.
i give him props for acting in a wheelchair though... the stuff he does with his hands can't be that easy. maybe i'm giving him too much credit but that seems like it would be a difficult challenge. he really pulls off the physical stuff well and makes me believe the character is paralyzed while i'm watching.

Last edited by An4h0ny; 07-09-08 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-09-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow... I'm fucking GLAD Smash is gone. Giaus Charles is a great actor and the moment last season where Smash breaks down in the locker room is one of my favourites of the series, but I was getting so sick of his storyline - they kept reaching to keep him in the show and it felt forced...so I'm relieved. Street I'm a bit indifferent too...I liked him working for Buddy Garrity Motors but other than that, last season he had nothing to do at all.
Old 07-09-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Street's useless, but Smash will be missed. Worse, I suppose this spells the end of Noelle

das
Old 07-09-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
i'm also wondering if they will revisit the Landry and his Dad and the stationwagon storyline... since that could come back to bite them.

I really hope not. I didn't care for that storyline at all.
Old 07-09-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm more than fine with that decision.
Old 07-09-08, 10:17 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Apparently Season 3 will start at the start of their Senior year...so maybe a montage of what happened after the season ended last year?

Glad to see Street and Smash go. Hated both.
Old 07-09-08, 10:19 AM
Suspended

I really hope not. I didn't care for that storyline at all.
i can't disagree... but it's ripe for a surprise comeback

Spoiler:
they just lit that thing on fire and let it burn... i have a feeling another police officer will figure out they destroyed evidence... then again, it could just fade away and be forgotten

regardless i hope we get to see another Crucifictorious performance

they totally fcking rock
Old 07-09-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Apparently Season 3 will start at the start of their Senior year...so maybe a montage of what happened after the season ended last year?

Glad to see Street and Smash go. Hated both.

Hmmm. So what happens with Riggins? Is he going to be a senior again?
Old 07-09-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Hmmm. So what happens with Riggins? Is he going to be a senior again?
Three years and counting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.