TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

FIOS Vs. Comcast

Old 05-11-08, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIOS Vs. Comcast

I am moving to an anrea that offers both FIOS and Comcast. I currently have Comcast, and while I like the free on- demand, I have had nothing but problems with both their equipment, and internet service in general. I was curious as to people's opinions who have had both FIOS and Comcast, and if FIOS tacks on a lot of monthly surcharges compared to Comcast.
Old 05-11-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for HD right now then Comcast will probably have more. Fios should be adding a bunch by the end of Summer, however they've done nothing but miss date. You watch the VOD so you will be much happier with Comcast but if you go Fios I can't recommend a Tivo strongly enough because the DVR is fairly unreliable.

That said I'm a "happy for the most part" Fios customer for going on 2 years and I would never go to Comcast.
Old 05-11-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The thing is, FIOS looks vastly superior on the basic channels when compared to Comcast, and the support is actually a good deal better.

My recommendation is dump Comcast and go FIOS. The VOD Freebie channel is the only thing Comcast has going for it.
Old 05-11-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it probably should come down to the DVR. If you're going to go TiVo anyway, go FIOS. If you want a competent integrated DVR, the Comcast option is said to be light years ahead of the FIOS one.
Old 05-11-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The "one HD feed at a time" takes Fios out of the equation for me. Unless they've fixed that ?
Old 05-11-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Phodg
The "one HD feed at a time" takes Fios out of the equation for me. Unless they've fixed that ?

What are you talking about. The only HD limitation is the VOD. I think you can only get 2 HD VOD feeds at once. Regular HD channels you can get all you want. I record 2 at a time all the time.
Old 05-12-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phodg
That's not FIOS, that's AT&T's U-Verse.
Old 05-14-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, sorry.
I knew something had a one-channel limit.