Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Micronesia - Fans vs. Favorites - **Season Finale - Sunday, May 11th**

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the Sole Survivor??
Amanda
52.94%
Cirie
35.29%
Natalie
0%
Parvati
11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Micronesia - Fans vs. Favorites - **Season Finale - Sunday, May 11th**

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 05:52 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Time to back up this season some DVDs.

Due to busy Thursday nights, I just bought the iTunes Season Pass for S:M-FvF.

Glad I did!
Old 05-12-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
And I think that shows how much this game has changed over the seasons. Up until a few seasons ago, didn't it seem like the person who was the nicest and pissed off the fewest people would win?

But lately it's been the person who was the most manipulative (there can be a big difference, IMO, between being a good strategic player and being manipulative...being passive and not pissing people off to make the finals can be a great strategy, the problem is, people are no longer credited for using it as they maybe were in the past) - being a good physical player and not annoying people aren't really very important.

I'm not saying one reason is better than the other, if the people who lived with the finalists on the island are that impressed with the manipulative play, so be it. But for me, I think that it takes just as much skill to be passive and bite your tongue and win challenges as it does to scheme and manipulate.
Of course, like I said, its all a matter of perspective when it comes down to who you would vote for. It also goes by a case by case basis for me. I wouldn't always pick the outright manipulator over the quiet schemer over the physical threat. It all depends on what you have and how you use it.

In this case I was just impressed with the way Parvati played the game. She was running it right from the beginning. When there were 5 people left there was not a single one of them that didn't want to take Parvati to the end. The female alliance was spinning around her. That's a pretty nice spot to be in if you ask me. I'd rather be the guy that everyone wants to take to the end than be the guy that needs to win immunity a few times to get there. Or the one that will likely be voted out third. She never put herself in a bad position. The closest was with James and James isn't much of a strategic threat.
Old 05-12-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like Parvati as a person, but she did an excellent job being friendly with nearly everyone in the game without coming across as the "nice girl", retaining strategically advantageous positions, and never acting like a psycho. Cirie was a loudmouth bitch with Jonathan and forced her alliance to vote out people because she was insecure and foolish. Amanda yelled at Cirie at the worst moment, made Erik look and feel stupid, and had a couple of emotional breakdowns.

So many people in the game made stupid decisions based on emotional outbursts, but Parv kept her smile and did her thing until the end. She made a calculated decision to screw Ozzy, which was irrelevant, because he'd have voted Amanda over Jesus. And she really only made two social mistakes, treating Eliza like shit (which didn't matter since everyone else did as well) and trying to play James one too many times. Otherwise, everyone on that show seemed to like her and want to be around her. In the end, the only person she alienated was the person whose vote she never would have received anyway, and she did so without others fearing her likability (in the way they feared Alexis, or even Amanda or Cirie). She did make some poor decisions, which made her depend on some luck to make it to the final vote, but the way she put herself in a position to be liked by so many people was impressive.

das
Old 05-12-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Definitely. Last season was the first one I bailed on mid-season - just wasn't getting into it, but this one brought me back in. I was entertained throughout. I wouldn't call it the best season since S1, but it was probably one of my favorites.
Same here.
Old 05-12-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This season could have turned out like Ami and Eliza's season, where Chris was stuck as the last guy surrounded by lots of women in the end. I was sort of hoping Erik would have been smart enough to not save Natalie, and he probably makes it to final 2 without breaking a sweat in the immunity challenges, and it might have been a great ending for Erik (from super fan to The survivor of this season).
Old 05-12-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
For the most part, Parvati played a good game. Like everyone who wins she did have some fortuitous moments though. If Cirie and Yau didn't have that misunderstanding right off the bat then she's probably gone first (after Dalton).

Her second huge break was when Penner was evacuated. At that moment she was still his number one target, and he probably had the numbers (Eliza, Jason, Kathy...and no way do A/N force a tie that early...she would have been gone). His leaving coupled with Kathy's quitting put Alexis and Natalie on an island, and Parvati very smartly scooped them up. That more than anything else won her the game.

It's too bad I just can't stand the way she presents herself. I have no respect for that.

Last edited by mwbmis; 05-12-08 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-12-08, 10:05 PM

HD, finally. Good season.
Old 05-12-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by taa455
Not only does Amanda suck at selling herself, she could have ripped Parv apart. When Parv started talking about all her bold moves, Amanda could've easily exposed that Cirie and Natalie were the real masterminds behind every one of "Parvati's" moves and that Parv never could have survived without relying on others pulling her along. (This would have also propped Cirie and Nat.) Amanda won several challenges. She found/used the Hidden idol brilliantly. She, not Cirie or Parv, was last in the alliance that time she was going home if not for the HII and was for several tribals perceived as the biggest physical threat. Nothing Parv accomplished was earned for herself. She simply had the numbers and never really was in any danger of being voted out nor was she ever (cept maybe in the beginning) perceived as a threat, a HUGE advantage.

Exactly - more of what I wanted to say, but didn't, as I was still so mad about it.
Old 05-12-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
I'm surprised they're going back to Africa. I seem to remember the producers saying they hated Africa because of it being a boring locale or something like that.
Old 05-13-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mary was the hottest and it was worth it to see her again.
Old 05-13-08, 10:54 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

After masterminding the number one dumbest move in Survivor history (talking Erik out of his immunity idol), Cirie was robbed.
Old 05-13-08, 12:04 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who was the 3rd person that voted for Amanda? I haven't seen the voting anywhere. I couldn't find the voting results on the CBS site.
Old 05-13-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
James would be the 3rd vote (besides Ozzie and Erik) for Amanda.
Old 05-13-08, 12:09 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
James would be the 3rd vote (besides Ozzie and Erik) for Amanda.
That would be my guess, but was it shown anywhere or is that an assumption?
Old 05-13-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
While it wouldn't have been my choice, I can understand why Parvati won the prize, though I would have liked to see Cirie get the final 2. Overall, it was a really memorable season. There were surprises all around and many classic moments. I just wish that there would have been a tie at the final vote, but I realize they, in all likelihood, would never allow a tie vote to be read during a live show.

And Survivor in HD, all I can think to say is FINALLY!
Old 05-13-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE
After masterminding the number one dumbest move in Survivor history (talking Erik out of his immunity idol), Cirie was robbed.
That is the biggest flaw in Survivor. The best players may not actually be rewarded simply because other players are buddies.
Old 05-13-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
I just wish that there would have been a tie at the final vote, but I realize they, in all likelihood, would never allow a tie vote to be read during a live show.
Yeah, why was the jury made up of 8 people instead of the usual tie-avoiding 9? Was it because of all the injuries/quittings/etc?
Old 05-13-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Yeah, why was the jury made up of 8 people instead of the usual tie-avoiding 9? Was it because of all the injuries/quittings/etc?

I'm guessing they did that to fuel the players' assumption that it would be a F3 w/7 jurors rather than a F2 w/8 jurors.
Old 05-13-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it was probably a last minute decision so they could screw somebody
Old 05-13-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cdollaz
That is the biggest flaw in Survivor. The best players may not actually be rewarded simply because other players are buddies.
The "best" players form advantageous relationships between others that lead to victorious outcomes. This is an individual contest with very few rules of competition, so in the absence of random misfortune or producer mayhem, the winner is by definition the best player.

das
Old 05-13-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
This may have already been brought up, but I think it's a big disadvantage to speak first at the final TC. Amanda would have done better going 2nd. I think Parv's social game was very strong. She had the girls following her around like a mother hen. Add a good, risky, strategic move and I can see why Parv won. If you threw all of those people on an island, wished them good luck, and came back a year later three people would still be alive - Ozzy, Amanda, and James. But that's not the game. I'd love to see that one though.
Old 05-13-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by parrotheads4
This may have already been brought up, but I think it's a big disadvantage to speak first at the final TC. Amanda would have done better going 2nd. I think Parv's social game was very strong. She had the girls following her around like a mother hen. Add a good, risky, strategic move and I can see why Parv won. If you threw all of those people on an island, wished them good luck, and came back a year later three people would still be alive - Ozzy, Amanda, and James. But that's not the game. I'd love to see that one though.
I'd love to see a game where it was just me and Amanda on an island for a year.

Old 05-14-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I finally remember what I was going to ask.

Why didn't they have a final statement from Parv and Amanda? Every other season i've seen, they've given them one last chance to talk. They didn't do that this year.
Old 05-14-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeboo835
I finally remember what I was going to ask.

Why didn't they have a final statement from Parv and Amanda? Every other season i've seen, they've given them one last chance to talk. They didn't do that this year.
Maybe they did and it wasn't shown. Former contestents watching the telecasts say that a lot gets cut out from the tribal councils.
Old 05-14-08, 02:32 PM
Wag

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Time to back up this season some DVDs.

Due to busy Thursday nights, I just bought the iTunes Season Pass for S:M-FvF.
With another season in the books, I am now suffering post-Survivor sadness and want more! hehe I had a quick question about Survivor on iTunes.

What is the quality like? I know with some things, the compression is such that you can only stand to watch the video on the iPod itself since it looks horrible on TV. Would you be able to hook the iPod up to the TV and be able to stomach the quality?

There are a few seasons on iTunes that I never saw the first time around (and aren't out on DVD), so I'd be interested to know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.