Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "Night Out" -- 4/24/2008

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I thought it was amusing that Ryan was trying to make the Dunder Mifflin Infinity site into a web portal of sorts. I like the way they've written his downward spiral... he came in arrogantly pushing big ideas that turn out to be ultimately just as stupid as anything Michael has come up with (and probably much more costly) and now we're seeing the aftermath.
We're not seeing the aftermath yet, though it is coming. A site that doesn't work, and that turns the sales people into customer support, plus a portal so that people can have a social network... on a site that sells paper. It forces the team to do extra work just to pretend that the site is making sales. Kelly's comment about it was funny, though. I was half expecting Ryan to get arrested outside of the club to start the downward spiral.

What ever happened to that whole web franchise contest they had... is that still going on, where the viewers could form their own Dunder Mifflin Infinity branches online?
Old 04-26-08, 09:21 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Great fun episode

What was the significance of Big shot Ryan having such a shitty apartment ? To show he snorts all his money ?
Old 04-26-08, 09:41 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Great fun episode

What was the significance of Big shot Ryan having such a shitty apartment ? To show he snorts all his money ?
Probably because that shitty, one room apartment probably costs $2000 a month to rent in NYC.
Old 04-26-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flay
Probably because that shitty, one room apartment probably costs $2000 a month to rent in NYC.
Yeah, like somebody said earlier, it was nice to see an accurate portrayal of NYC apartment living.

To those of you that live in NYC can you give me any idea how much that "Friends" apartment would cost?
Old 04-26-08, 10:13 AM

I thought they covered themselves on Friends by saying they were grandfathered in on some sort of subsidized housing deal left by Monica's parents or something.
Old 04-26-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Triple S
I thought they covered themselves on Friends by saying they were grandfathered in on some sort of subsidized housing deal left by Monica's parents or something.
Oh. That could be. I didn't watch the show very often.

That place had to cost some major change though.
Old 04-26-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Oddly, overall, I didn't think the episode as a whole was great, but it had some of the funniest single moments.

Toby's Costa Rica thing followed by jumping the fence was awesomely awkward. Some great one liners, too.
Old 04-26-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
To those of you that live in NYC can you give me any idea how much that "Friends" apartment would cost?
Monica's apartment is still in her Grandmother's name, IIRC, and is rent controlled.
Old 04-27-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by whoopdido
Yeah, like somebody said earlier, it was nice to see an accurate portrayal of NYC apartment living.

I don't live in NYC but I would guess $5000 or more.

I've been in apartments where the rent is $6000 and the apartment was halfway between Ryan's apartment and the Friends apartment in size.
Old 04-27-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It really depends on what neighborhood you live in too.
Old 04-27-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Off topic but wouldn't Seinfeld (& co.) apartments be fairly accurate in size for NY?
Old 04-27-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Remote Access Interview with Cassie Fliegel a.k.a. tall blonde who makes out with Dwight.

Last edited by zekeburger1979; 04-27-08 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-28-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
"Do you have a question?"

"Yes, I have a lot of questions... Number one - how dare you?"

That was just too much.

Ryan is really in trouble. No one has mentioned the reason he wanted the staff to work on Saturday. The website is tanking, and he was going to use the Scranton staff to basically enter all their sales as web sales which Ryan can then take credit for. It will essentially double the sales for Scranton in the books while the actual inventory stays unchanged. The snowball effect this will have over time is going to get Ryan into deep doo-doo.

This was supposed to be a longer episode? It clocked in at 21:35...
Old 04-28-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I like the way they've written his downward spiral... he came in arrogantly pushing big ideas that turn out to be ultimately just as stupid as anything Michael has come up with (and probably much more costly) and now we're seeing the aftermath.
+++++

I've been looking forward to it all season and I'm finally glad we are finally seeing it.

I chuckled when Michael tried to mimic Ryan's "TBD" and flubbed it.

There were several great moments.

Toby got over that fence quick!
Old 04-28-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Heh heh. I called Ryan's 'problem' back in the first ep of the season:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=52
Old 04-28-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
That was just too much.

Ryan is really in trouble. No one has mentioned the reason he wanted the staff to work on Saturday. The website is tanking, and he was going to use the Scranton staff to basically enter all their sales as web sales which Ryan can then take credit for. It will essentially double the sales for Scranton in the books while the actual inventory stays unchanged. The snowball effect this will have over time is going to get Ryan into deep doo-doo.
I wonder if Ryan would also be arranging this to get commission on the sales, and thus support his, err... his friends, drug habit?
Old 04-28-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus
I wonder if Ryan would also be arranging this to get commission on the sales, and thus support his, err... his friends, drug habit?
That is what I was thinking.
Old 04-28-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
I think the whole point of the episodes this half of the season have been showing that despite the fact Jim thinks he could be a better manager than Michael, he is pretty much exactly like Michael (except without the whole social awkwardness thing). Everytime he's been left in charge he's screwed up Michael Scott-style with his "great ideas" (remember he thought the birthday thing was a "great idea" too). I think it really makes a valid point about best intentions... and putting yourself in other people's shoes.
Also early on Ryan called Jim out on going over his head to Wallace about his thoughts on the web site...the former temp knocking cocksure Jim completely off balance.
Old 04-29-08, 12:04 AM

I am sorry but this might be what I believe the best Office ever.
Pam and the football.
Poor Toby
Everyone get a text at the same time...
Old 04-29-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

great freaking episode.... i LOL'ed in the following:

Pam throwing the football
Dwight throwing out the drink
Ryan talking about the end of the world and michaels response
Michael the bank teller