Reload this Page >

The Sarah Jane Adventures

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-12-08, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone watched this? For the unfamiliar, it's an Earthbound series based on one of Doctor Who's most famous companions, Sarah Jane Smith. It runs on Sci Fi. Whereas DW has gotten sharper and more adult in its content, this is more old school DW aimed at kids. She has a tween sidekick as her "companion."

What I find stunning is Elisabeth Sladen is 60 this year and could easily pass for 40. She's got that Sally Field ageless quality about her.

So who else is watching?
Old 04-12-08, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a bit of a casual Dr. Who fan and watched this out of curiousity. I thought it wasn't bad, it has that same charm Dr. Who has but does seem to be aimed at a younger crowd.
Old 04-12-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's much closer in tone to the original Doctor Who than any of the other nuWho series.

The good news is this was the pilot, and for the regular series they dump the annoying black girl for a much more likable kid.
Old 04-12-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's almost a bit redundant to say earthbound Doctor Who these days. I heard about this a while ago but didn't realize it had already aired. Actually I kind of dismissed it, perhaps unfairly, because the Sara Jane audio series from Big Finish was such a disappointment to me.
Old 04-12-08, 12:10 PM

Watched it on Sci-Fi Channel last night. Looks fun. I agree it's aimed more at kids, but there's nothing wrong with that. Doctor Who seems an all ages kind of show, and Torchwood is more adult, so nothing wrong with having a kid show.

The black girl was annoying at first, but she grew on me by the end of the show. Wasn't aware they dumped her.

I totally agree with everyone about Liz Sladen. She's got some good genes! Maybe traveling in the Time Vortex preserved her.

Curious about the lack of K-9. In the "School Reunion" episode the Doctor fixed K-9 for Sarah Jane and left him with her, and I assumed they'd have their adventures together. But in the pilot K-9's out in space sealing up a black hole or something and "doesn't know when he'll be back." So why the change? Why'd they decide to effectively write K-9 out of the show?
Old 04-12-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redskull
Curious about the lack of K-9. In the "School Reunion" episode the Doctor fixed K-9 for Sarah Jane and left him with her, and I assumed they'd have their adventures together. But in the pilot K-9's out in space sealing up a black hole or something and "doesn't know when he'll be back." So why the change? Why'd they decide to effectively write K-9 out of the show?

One of K-9's creators is working on a separate spin-off show for the tin dog that'll be outside Who continuity. Maybe RTD & the BEEB doesn't want to compete?
Old 04-12-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Traxan
What I find stunning is Elisabeth Sladen is 60 this year and could easily pass for 40. She's got that Sally Field ageless quality about her.
*cough*Soft Filters*cough, cough*Botox*cough*

Ehhh, it was okay. I said as much in my Series Three DVD review that I think because the Who relaunch wasn't a massive, laughable failure, the producers think they are doing something right, thus the quick spinoffs to further cash in. I find the writing to be pretty dramatically clunky and rote on all of the shows. For me NewWho is hit and miss, Torchwood is unwatchable, and we'll see with Sarah Jane.

It has promise, and its early. Two things I hope they lose, the cliched, bratty-sassy black girl, and Sarah Jane pulling out some alien device to solve every problem- leave that to the Doctor She should be more hands on and show some human efficiency when resolving the weekly menaces.
Old 04-13-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its odd watching a show with a Lead character you used to watch in another show 20-something years ago.
Old 04-13-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
One of K-9's creators is working on a separate spin-off show for the tin dog that'll be outside Who continuity. Maybe RTD & the BEEB doesn't want to compete?
I don't believe the Beeb actually own the rights to K-9, the creators do. With a K-9 show in the works, I don't think they wanted another series with K-9 competing with it, so they allowed K-9 to appear long enough to explain why he wasn't going to be there regularly.
Old 04-14-08, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
"Affection noted, Mistress"

It was really great to see K-9 again, and that line brought me both a great big grin, and a small choked-up feeling. Good dog!
Old 04-14-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
PS - According to tv.com....
Linky: http://www.tv.com/the-sarah-jane-adv...01/trivia.html
Bob Baker, who co-created K-9 with Dave Martin, owns the rights to the character and is attempting to secure backing for an animated show starring the robot dog. He granted permission for K-9 to make a cameo appearance in the pilot episode, and this is used to provide an explanation for its absence from the show.
Old 04-14-08, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I watched up until the final 20 mins of the pilot episode, before shutting it off and deleting it from the DVR.

It took way too long for very little interesting to happen. I don't get the comparrisons to the old Doctor Who; I've seen over half of Tom Baker's run and a few assorted episodes from the other pre-revival Doctors. The show back then was for the most part goofy fun, but the Doctor is what gives it life and energy. Sarah Jane is just plain boring.
Old 04-16-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How much action can you expect from a 61-year-old woman? I was impressed just to see her running in those boots. Tenant is the youngest Doctor they've ever had, by far, and they have utilized that about him.

They have to be real careful about reintroducing K9. He will need significant modernization or look like a total anachronism compared to the Aibo. But if they do that, purist fans will howl.
Old 04-17-08, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually really liked it, and said as much in the Doctor Who thread. It was a fun little adventure show. Nothing heavy, but still very enjoyable. The main child actress is pretty good as is the little boy who was grown in the factory. I think it will make a nice companion for Who on Scifi, though I don't see it being a "hit" here because it is so innocent, and the target audience (kids) probably won't watch it.

I much preferred this premiere, to that of Torchwood (which I found tedious and boring -- though I hear season 2 got much better).
Old 04-18-08, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I watched up until the final 20 mins of the pilot episode, before shutting it off and deleting it from the DVR.

It took way too long for very little interesting to happen. I don't get the comparrisons to the old Doctor Who; I've seen over half of Tom Baker's run and a few assorted episodes from the other pre-revival Doctors. The show back then was for the most part goofy fun, but the Doctor is what gives it life and energy. Sarah Jane is just plain boring.
Well, part of that might be explained by the fact that effin' Sci-Fi Channel stretched the 50 minute or so pilot episode into a freakin' 90 minute time slot, and ran a barrage of interminable commercials every 5 minutes.
Old 04-18-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked how they had picture of her old cast mates like Harry and the Brigadeer.
Old 04-19-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was not a bad show... was very "New" Doctor whoish...the villain could have been the nanny from the first Dr. Who episode of this season...very similar.

Liked that they threw in an explanation about K9 and the items in her attic like the Darlak drawings..as well as the reference of Torchwood and that they go in guns blazing...

Not sure if I would make it a much watch, I fast-forwarded through a lot to get to the action parts, but I will see...
Old 04-20-08, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The second episode that was on last week seemed to end with a cliffhanger. How many episodes is it continued on?
Old 04-20-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Theres the pilot, and five two-part stories.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 04-20-08 at 08:08 AM.