Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Office talk: 2009 spin-off

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Office talk: 2009 spin-off

First off, tonight's Office marathon will be hosted by John Krasinski, who will no doubt be promoting his new movie Leatherheads. The marathon starts at 9 PM Eastern and consists of the last four episodes of this season--"Local Ad," "Branch Wars," "Survivor Man," and "The Deposition."

The first of six all-new episodes will start next week with "Dinner Party" and will run until the end of the season, with the sixth episode being an hour long.

But this is the big news:

NBC SHOWCASES GREG DANIELS' 'THE OFFICE' AND HIS NEW 'OFFICE' SPINOFF IN COVETED POST SUPER BOWL TIMESLOT

NEW YORK – April 2, 2008 - NBC announced today that the most coveted time period of the coming season, the post Super Bowl slot, will be used to launch a spinoff of the network's hit comedy series, "The Office." Immediately following NBC Sports' coverage of Super Bowl XLIII, the network will first present an original episode of "The Office," followed by the debut of the new Greg Daniels comedy. The Super Bowl has been perennially the biggest television event of the broadcast season and was watched this year by a total audience of more than 148 million viewers. Giving this new series that coveted premiere slot will afford the show tremendous sampling from all demographic groups.

Greg Daniels, Executive Producer of "The Office," said, "Who would have ever thought that Americans would be subjected to a mock-documentary after the Superbowl? What has happened to this country?"

From Greg Daniels, the Executive Producer of the Emmy Award-winning American version of NBC's "The Office," comes the most highly anticipated comedy of the season in "The Office" spinoff. Audiences will follow another comic journey, complete with new faces and new locations, but with the same unique sense of humor and brand of quality from Daniels and his creative team. It's the next chapter of what viewers have come to know and love about "The Office."
Old 04-03-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dasm, I lost track of time, and thought it was a new ep tonight.
Old 04-04-08, 07:54 AM

Audiences will follow another comic journey, complete with new faces and new locations, but with the same unique sense of humor and brand of quality from Daniels and his creative team.
Really? How creative do you have to be to make a carbon copy of another show? Look forward to The Office: Albany, The Office: Newark and The Office: Loss Prevention Unit.
Old 04-04-08, 11:56 AM
Suspended

Who was the kid playing the theme on the piano at the end of either the first or second episode last night? The episode was dedicated to his memory, but I can't find information on him. I think his name was Nathan Robertson
Old 04-04-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ron G
Who was the kid playing the theme on the piano at the end of either the first or second episode last night? The episode was dedicated to his memory, but I can't find information on him. I think his name was Nathan Robertson
http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertain...a_loyal_f.html
Old 04-04-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

does it not seem like it's a little early to be announcing the spin off will be premiering 10 months from now?
Old 04-04-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dpz301
does it not seem like it's a little early to be announcing the spin off will be premiering 10 months from now?
Yes, I think so, which is why it's title is simply "The Office Spin-off." I don't think they even know much about what it's going to be yet.
Old 04-04-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They announced it well before now, though, didn't they? I know I've been hearing about it for what seems like months.
Old 04-04-08, 10:08 PM

Last year there was talk of a Dwight spin-off, but apparently it was just Rainn Wilson joking around with a reporter, which was blown out of proportion:

Question:The rumor of the Dwight spin-off, did you say whether there was any truth to that?

Rainn: The rumor of the Dwight spin-off was like some — I was at the Tony’s, I think, because I was presenting. And some guy from New York — I think it was like the New York Post.

He’s like hey, Rainn, Ben Silverman is in charge at NBC now so what’s next for Dwight. And I — as I walked by I was like I don’t know, I smell a Dwight spin-off.

And he goes, can I quote you on that? Can I quote you on that? And I just walked away and then it was like all over TV as this — it’s preposterous.
Link to Office Tally transcript
Old 04-05-08, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, it was definitely more than that. That appears to have happened in June. In October, it was reported that a spin-off was being developed but none of the core cast would be involved. It was further reported that it would essentially be done like a back door pilot with the new folks being brought in during an episode of The Office. Apparently it takes the brain trust at NBC from October 2007 until February 2009 to get something from development to screen.
Old 04-05-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Apparently it takes the brain trust at NBC from October 2007 until February 2009 to get something from development to screen.
Well, there was a little thing called a writer's strike that happened during that time period. It's pretty hard to do development when the developers aren't working; then, when they come back, they're too busy playing catch-up on existing shows to develop new ones.
Old 04-05-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They seemed to be able to get Knight Rider off the ground just fine.

Yes, I'm not a big fan of the current NBC regime.
Old 04-05-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MWB
Last year there was talk of a Dwight spin-off, but apparently it was just Rainn Wilson joking around with a reporter, which was blown out of proportion:

Link to Office Tally transcript

I am afraid, as much as I like Dwight, his show would turn out like "Flo" from Alice or "Checking IN" with the maid from the Jeffersons.
Supporting characters should stay just that.
Old 04-05-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I am afraid, as much as I like Dwight, his show would turn out like "Flo" from Alice or "Checking IN" with the maid from the Jeffersons.
Supporting characters should stay just that.
Or "Joey."

Yeah, not a good idea.
Old 04-05-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They seemed to be able to get Knight Rider off the ground just fine.
That's because it was only a two-hour movie, and they had a script for it before the strike.
Old 04-05-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
That's because it was only a two-hour movie, and they had a script for it before the strike.
It's a series debuting in the fall now, and I imagine they didn't have any pre-strike scripting for that going on.
Old 04-06-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a series debuting in the fall now, and I imagine they didn't have any pre-strike scripting for that going on.
No, but they at least had a pilot, or even a premise, to work from, along with a cast already in place for the series. Also, I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing the executive producers for that series don't already have a show they gotta quick finish the season on before starting the new one.

Finally, even if they could get episodes done in time for fall, that doesn't mean that they'd air them in the fall. Networks hold on to shows for mid-season replacement all the time. And NBC isn't planning on starting all their shows in the Fall anymore:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/bu...dia/03nbc.html
"After the Hollywood writers’ strike ended in February, NBC broke ranks with the other networks by saying that it was scrapping various television traditions, including the mass introducing of shows in the fall....announcing what it labeled a 'superseason' of programs that will fill 65 weeks, from this June through August 2009... NBC promised a season of far fewer repeats, with none at all among the shows to appear at 10 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays....the network is doing everything it can to try to capitalize on the big events it will control over the next year, like the Summer Olympics from Beijing and the next Super Bowl"
Old 04-07-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
<iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/23997070#23997070" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
msnbc.com

Angela and Jenna talk about the "spin-off."
Old 04-10-08, 11:49 AM

Couple more stories on the spin-off:

Exclusive: NBC Planning Major Office Expansion! (This is from last October)

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, NBC may be about to pay a major compliment to Grey's Anatomy. Multiple sources confirm to me exclusively that the Peacock is developing an episode of The Office that would introduce several new characters who would then be spun off into a new series à la Private Practice.

However, unlike Practice, which stole Grey's regular Kate Walsh to anchor the new series, the proposed Office 2 is not expected to include any of the mother ship's core cast. In fact, producers are already casting about for a "name" to headline the potential show.
And from yesterday:

Question: What do you know about the Office spin-off? — J.R.

Ausiello: I know that, contrary to speculation, it will not revolve around Dwight. According to an insider, the Michael-Dwight dynamic is "too integral to the show." The likelier scenario, according to a Peacock insider, has Ed Helms' Andy headlining Office 2.0. "That idea was batted around prior to the strike," whispers my source, "and NBC seemed interested." Personally, I hope NBC sticks with its original plan and looks outside the Dunderverse for the offshoot's boss.
Old 04-10-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Helms makes sense. His character went to an Ivy league school and is a total social outcast. Seems perfect for upper management at DM.
Old 04-10-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Helms makes sense. His character went to an Ivy league school and is a total social outcast. Seems perfect for upper management at DM.
I'm not entirely certain if it is just me, but...

I do not care for the character of Andy. At all. His character seems far too "comical" and outlandish to fit into the semi-realistic world that The Office has crafted.

I just don't see him being able to carry his own show. Hell, he can barely keep up in the show as it is...
Old 04-10-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
I do not care for the character of Andy. At all. His character seems far too "comical" and outlandish to fit into the semi-realistic world that The Office has crafted.
Hi! I'm Michael Scott. It's a pleasure to meet you.
Old 04-10-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Andy is a good character, but I don't think he could carry the lead
Old 04-10-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
I'm not entirely certain if it is just me, but...

I just don't see him being able to carry his own show. Hell, he can barely keep up in the show as it is...
No, it's not just you... I had the same opinion for much of the first several episodes after Andy was introduced. For one thing, he seemed way too redundant with Dwight in that they were both so over-the-top in how they interacted with the other characters. I think the show's comedic formula could sustain one (or maybe two, if you count Michael) character like that, but Andy was overkill.

It seems to me like the writers realized that and have since toned down Andy quite a bit. Now I don't mind him quite as much as some other changes / additions the show has made in the last season. But yeah, I don't see him as being a character around which you can center an entire show.
Old 04-10-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
They already had the perfect spinoff with Karen. Maybe Unhitched will get canceled, lol

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.