Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Office talk: 2009 spin-off

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-08, 03:17 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really hope this spinoff isn't based on just another Dundler Mifflin regional office. I wouldn't mind seeing a spinoff in corporate with Ryan and David... at least that would be a different type of dynamic. Or if they'd do a show in the same style but in a completely different type of workplace (I suggested a Chili's-type restaurant in an earlier thread). But another small paper office? I've already seen that twice (counting the UK version) and I'm not sure it can survive a third Xerox.
Old 06-13-08, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...&cs=1&nid=2565

Posted: Thurs., Jun. 12, 2008, 9:00pm PTAziz Ansari hired for 'Office' spinoff
Details beginning to leak about new series
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Details are finally starting to emerge on NBC's highly anticipated "The Office" spinoff -- including the show's first cast hire, Aziz Ansari of MTV's sketch comedy "Human Giant."

Producers are mum on Ansari's role, but he'll be part of a larger ensemble that executive producers Greg Daniels and Michael Schur are putting together.

Ansari has sealed a one-year talent hold with Universal Media Studios as part of his deal to join the cast, the studio confirmed.

"We met him pretty early on and thought he was very funny," Daniels said. "We loved his work in 'Human Giant,' which I'm a huge fan of, as is Mike, and we have a good character for him."

Beyond that, the network, studio and producers continue to keep the new show under wraps and won't yet comment on show specifics. Still, it's looking more likely that the show may not be a spinoff in the traditional sense.

Despite early speculation that at least one "Office" character will segue to the new show, that's unlikely at this point.

Instead, the show could potentially be a "planted spinoff," in which characters are first introduced on "The Office" before moving on to the new series (think "Mork & Mindy," which morphed from one episode of "Happy Days"). It's just as possible that the show won't be a spinoff at all (which could impact who's involved with the show), but a wholly separate series in the same comedic vein as "The Office."

In recent weeks Daniels and Schur have been busy mapping out the show, which is set to bow this winter in the plum Thursday night 9:30 p.m. timeslot behind "The Office."

The two have narrowed the show's premise down to a handful of ideas but haven't yet zoomed in on a specific concept.

"We're focusing on making the best show we can make as a companion to 'The Office,'" Schur said. "We're trying to come up with the best concept and hire the funniest writers. In the next couple of weeks, we'll be making the final move to one specific idea."

The new show has already started putting together a writing team, including "Everybody Loves Raymond" alum Tucker Cawley, "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" vet Dan Goor and "South Park" scribe Alan Yang.

The producers said they're excited about the message they hope Ansari's casting -- the first bit of news to trickle out about the new series -- sends to the comedy community and "Office" fans.

"We're meeting with a lot of cool people," Daniels said. "We're trying to see how the pieces all fit together."

A rising star on the standup circuit, Ansari has earned raves, including best standup at the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival, for his irony-laced takes on life. Ansari's targets include everything from the singing ice cream scoopers at Coldstone Creamery to racism and homophobia.

In addition to serving as a writer, exec producer and performer on "Human Giant," Ansari also guested as a racist fruit vendor on HBO's "Flight of the Conchords" -- and recently opened for the Conchords on a series of concert dates.

Comedian, who's repped by 3 Arts and UTA, is currently in Albuquerque filming scenes for the upcoming Seth Rogen feature "Observe and Report." He'll also be seen alongside Paul Rudd and Jason Segel in "I Love You, Man."

Separately, Universal Media Studios has sealed a talent deal with thesp Rashida Jones, who appeared as John Krasinski's love interest on "The Office" before moving on to star in Fox's short-lived "Unhitched." Insiders said it's unclear yet what Jones may do at the studio, although a return to "The Office" is not out of the question.

In other "Office" news, the critically acclaimed laffer has just added three new names to its scribe staff: "Freaks and Geeks" creator Paul Feig, "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "New Adventures of Old Christine" vet Aaron Shure and "Saturday Night Live" writer Charlie Grandy. In addition, Paul Lieberstein, who doubles as Toby on the show, has been elevated to executive producer.

(Cynthia Littleton contributed to this report.)
Chris
Old 06-13-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That Human Giant stuff is hilarious.

Old 06-13-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
That Human Giant stuff is hilarious.

I've never seen it, besides just watching the clip you posted. You are joking right? Just basing this on the clip which I thought was not at all funny.
Old 06-13-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn. I never did well in the science of humor in school. If only it could be subjective... Imagine all the people, laughing in their own ways...
Old 06-13-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 06-14-08, 12:35 AM

I'm a big fan of Aziz, met him a few years ago, nice guy. I thought he was going to be on Scrubs next season for a recurring role as an Intern. I guess he'll be a busy guy, too bad He'll be in LA all the time now.
Old 06-14-08, 01:50 AM

He's gonna wake up in a smoothie!!!

/solid first hire
Old 07-14-08, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Damn. I never did well in the science of humor in school. If only it could be subjective... Imagine all the people, laughing in their own ways...

Old 07-15-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/487cea44b2e6c129/4741e3c5156499a7/15947ff1" id="W4727a250e66f9723487cea44b2e6c129" height="283" width="384"><param value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/487cea44b2e6c129/4741e3c5156499a7/15947ff1" name="movie"/><param value="transparent" name="wmode"/><param value="all" name="allowNetworking"/><param value="always" name="allowScriptAccess"/></object>
Old 07-16-08, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This just in -- the show isn't a spinoff, it is it's own new show. Amy Poehler has joined the cast. From Variety:

"Saturday Night Live" star Amy Poehler is in final negotiations to join the cast of the new post-"Office" laffer from Greg Daniels and Mike Schur.

Series, despite initially being called an "Office" spinoff, isn’t expected to be one after all — confirming speculation that the show would not be an extension of the original but a whole new series (Daily Variety, June 12).

Poehler would join the already-cast Aziz Ansari, who became the series’ first cast member last month.

In recent weeks Daniels and Schur have been busy mapping out the show, which is set to bow this winter in the plum Thursday night 9:30 p.m. timeslot behind "The Office."

Poehler, who hosts "SNL’s" "Weekend Update" segment with Seth Meyers, has been with the sketch skein since 2001. She also recently appeared in the feature "Baby Mama" and provides the lead voice to the animated entry "The Mighty B."
Old 07-16-08, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

interesting... i love Poehler.
Old 07-16-08, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My favorite Human Giant:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/36lfTfTuj9g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/36lfTfTuj9g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mainly because I love Amy Poehler's husband...he's a comedic demigod.
Old 07-16-08, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

YAY!!!! the spin-off would've ruined the office. this is excellent news!
Old 07-16-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, now I'm quite torn. On one hand, I want to believe that the show will be good, which is all-but-negated with this recent information that Poehler has joined the cast.

On the other hand, if this means she will be leaving SNL, then... Good luck with the new show.
Old 07-16-08, 10:05 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Well, now I'm quite torn. On one hand, I want to believe that the show will be good, which is all-but-negated with this recent information that Poehler has joined the cast.

On the other hand, if this means she will be leaving SNL, then... Good luck with the new show.
+1 for SNL

-1 for this new show

I hate Poehler.
Old 07-16-08, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I'm in. Love her.
Old 07-16-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
How about now:

It's Weekend Update! With SETH MEYERS!
Old 07-17-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Adding Poehler sounds fine, the question is if it's no longer an "Office" spin-off then I wonder what the show going to be about. Another office-based comedy simply unrelated to the original Office? Or an entirely different idea?
Old 07-21-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

THIS JUST IN -- NBC is developing 2 shows, and one IS a spinoff. The Amy Poehler version is in the style of the Office but is NOT a spinoff. Then there is another show which IS a spinoff. Sheesh. This will be "documentary style" overload, I have a feeling. From Aint It Cool News:

NBC co-chair Ben Silverman tells TV Week that the network continues to pursue a spinoff of “The Office” separately from the new midseason Amy Poehler sitcom co-created by “Office” mastermind Greg Daniels.

Silverman also tells TV Week the still-untitled non-spinoff sitcom starring “Saturday Night Live” vet Poehler and “Human Giant” vet Aziz Ansari will not premiere after the Super Bowl as originally planned, and that the Poehler show “will be in the style of ‘The Office.’”
Old 07-22-08, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
"In the style of 'the Office'"?

While "the Office" is still on the air?

While there'll be a "spinoff" of "the Office" on the air?

NBC. We do chicken right.
Old 01-26-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Office talk: 2009 spin-off

We have a title and premise, folks...

Office non-spin-off spin-off has a title, premiere date
by Scott Tobias January 26, 2009 Article ToolsShare This

For months, the only news about NBC’s Office spin-off is that NBC didn’t insisted that no one refer to it as a spin-off, despite the crossover in creative teams and concepts. (Okay, the new show doesn’t spin-off from the Dunder-Mifflin universe, so technically the network is in the right. According to co-creator Greg Daniels, an idea for a true spin-off may be on the table for the future.) But now, it appears that the show finally has a name, maybe. As Michael Scott would say, drumroll please…

Public Service. Heading a cast that includes former Office-mate Rashida Jones and Human Giant’s Aziz Ansari, Poehler will star as a mid-level local government official with big ambitions—and presumably modest abilities and accomplishments. The show was originally intended to premiere after the Super Bowl, but Poehler’s pregnancy forced a delay in the production schedule. It’s now slated to air on April 9th at 8:30 p.m. ET.

More information on this and other examples of network bet-hedging can be found here.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/offic...ere-dat,23063/
More details here.
Old 01-26-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the spin-off was the US version of The IT Crowd (still with Richard Ayoade).
Old 01-26-09, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I thought the spin-off was the US version of The IT Crowd (still with Richard Ayoade).
I'm pretty sure that project is dead.
Old 01-26-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaza
I'm pretty sure that project is dead.
I know it's dead I just figured that was the actual spin-off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.