Assholes.
Old 04-03-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,738 Likes on 2,683 Posts
Desctiptions of the new dramas and comedies

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20080402nbc01

2008-09 NEW SERIES DESCRIPTIONS:

NEW DRAMAS

MY OWN WORST ENEMY - Henry Spivey (Christian Slater, "Bobby") is a middle-class efficiency expert living a humdrum life in the suburbs with a wife, two kids, a dog, and a minivan. Edward Albright is an operative who speaks 13 languages, runs a four-minute mile, and is trained to kill with his teeth. Henry and Edward are polar opposites who share only one thing in common -- the same body. When the carefully constructed wall between them breaks down, Henry and Edward are thrust into unfamiliar territory where each man is dangerously out of his element. "My Own Worst Enemy" explores the duality of a man who is literally pitted against himself. And it raises the question: who can you trust when you can't trust yourself? The series is produced by Universal Media Studios. Jason Smilovic ("Kidnapped") is the executive producer; David Semel (director of the "American Dreams," "Heroes" and "Life" pilots) is the director and executive producer.

KNIGHT RIDER -On the heels of NBC's hit movie, the iconic 1980s television classic comes roaring back to life as an updated drama series showcasing the new customized KITT (Knight Industries Three Thousand) Ford Mustang. As the sequel resumes, KITT is absolutely the coolest car ever created: its supercomputer capable of hacking almost any system; its weapons systems efficient; and its body -- thanks to its creator's work and nanotechnology -- is capable of actually shifting shape and color. It is the ultimate car -- and someone will be willing to do anything to obtain it. "Knight Rider" stars Justin Bruening ("Cold Case"), Deanna Russo ("NCIS"), Sydney Tamiia Poitier ("Veronica Mars") and Bruce Davison ("Breach"). David Bartis ("Heist," "The O.C."), Doug Liman ("Mr. and Mrs. Smith," "The Bourne Identity") and Gary Scott Thompson ("Las Vegas," "The Fast and The Furious") are executive producers and David Andron serves as supervising producer and writer. Based on characters created by Glen Larson, "Knight Rider" is from Universal Media Studios and Dutch Oven Productions.

CRUSOE - Based on the legendary novel by Daniel Defoe, this is the tale of Robinson Crusoe. A young man leaves his true love to embark on an adventure -- only to end up shipwrecked on a remote tropical island for 28 years, completely detached from the life he once knew. His desire to return to his wife and his strong and unlikely friendship with Friday are the only things that keep him sane. While stranded, Crusoe encounters enemies and braves the elements. Equal parts "MacGyver," "Castaway" and "Pirates of the Caribbean," this series is an inspirational tale of survival rife with action and comedy. Power Entertainment produces "Crusoe."

KINGS -- "Kings" is an inspiring exploration of the timeless David vs. Goliath struggle. The show is set in a modern metropolis under siege where the fighting has gone on for too long and cost far too many lives. When David Shepherd (Christopher Egan, "Resident Evil: Extinction"), a brave young soldier, rescues the king's (Golden Globe winner Ian McShane, "Deadwood") son from enemy territory, he sets events in motion that will finally bring peace. Suddenly, David is thrust into the limelight, earning the affections of women -- including the king's daughter. When he's promoted to captain, he becomes the reluctant poster boy for hope. But for David, the line between his allies and enemies will blur as the power players in the kingdom go to great lengths to see him fall. From the director (Francis Lawrence) of the blockbuster movie "I Am Legend" comes the ultimate story of David vs. Goliath, and there's no telling who will win. Sebastian Stan ("Gossip Girl") also stars. "Kings" is a production of Universal Media Studios; Michael Green (NBC's "Heroes") is the executive producer. Francis Lawrence ("I Am Legend") is the director and executive producer and Erwin Stoff ("I Am Legend") also is executive producer.

MERLIN - "Merlin" brings to life a new legend for a modern audience. "Merlin" is an exciting, hour-long fantasy series set in the mythic city of Camelot -- but inspired by 21st Century storytelling. Before Merlin (Colin Morgan, "Doctor Who") and Arthur (Bradley James, "Lewis") became legends, they were ambitious young men looking for adventure, hoping to live up to their family's expectations, discovering love and finding their own true destiny, making mistakes along the way. The innovative, action-packed drama has cross-generational appeal and paints a picture of Merlin and Arthur's early life that audiences have never witnessed before. Anthony Head ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer"), Richard Wilson ("A Passage to India"), Angel Coulby ("Magicians") and Katie McGrath ("The Tudors") also star. A FremantleMedia Enterprises distribution of a Shine production for BBC.

THE PHILANTHROPIST -- This one-hour drama is about a rebel with a cause. Teddy Rist loves women, money and power. After the tragic death of his only child, Teddy has an awakening and becomes the world's first vigilante philanthropist -- a renegade billionaire who uses his wealth, connections and power to help people in need. He'll do anything to achieve his goals -- bargain with the self-righteous, trade with the nefarious and even tell the truth. Instead of spending $25,000 a plate at a fundraiser, he's dodging bullets in third-world countries to hand-deliver vaccine. It's a global adventure that will take viewers to the ends of the Earth and will inspire them as well. "The Philanthropist" is produced by Universal Media Studios, Original Media and the Levinson/Fontana Company. Tom Fontana ("Homicide: Life on the Street"), Barry Levinson ("Homicide: Life on the Street") and Charlie Corwin ("L.A. Ink") are the executive producers; Jim Juvonen is a co-executive producer.

THE LISTENER -- In this one-hour drama, Toby Logan (Craig Olejnik, "The Runaway") is a 24-year-old paramedic living with a secret: he can read people's minds. This telepathic procedural takes viewers into the heart of a tortured hero who struggles to solve crimes with his unique gift. Week-to-week, "The Listener" balances high-stakes drama with irreverent humor and sends Toby on an intellectual and emotional adventure. Ennis Esmer ("The Path to 9/11") also stars. "The Listener" is a production of Program Partners and Shaftesbury Films. The executive producers are Christina Jennings, Scott Garvie, Michael Amo, Russ Cochrane, Glen Davis and Bill Laurin.

NEW COMEDIES

THE OFFICE SPINOFF - From Greg Daniels, the executive producer of the Emmy Award-winning American version of NBC's "The Office," comes the most highly anticipated comedy of the season in "The Office" spinoff. Audiences will follow another comic journey, complete with new faces and new locations, but with the same unique sense of humor and brand of quality from Daniels and his creative team. It's the next chapter of what viewers have come to know and love about "The Office."

KATH & KIM -- They're the most dysfunctional duo in suburbia. Kath Day (Molly Shannon, NBC's "Saturday Night Live") is the mom, a foxy, 40-something divorce who finally has time for herself and her valiant search for love. Kim Day (Selma Blair, "Hellboy," "Hellboy II") is the daughter, a self-absorbed princess recently separated from her husband who finds consolation in stuffing her face. When Kim decides to move back home, Kath reluctantly agrees -- but to Kim's chagrin, Kath is not about to cater to her every whim as she has in the past. Based on the most successful comedy in Australia of the same name, Kath and Kim are two brassy women who prefer the finer things in life like acrylic nails, big hair and faux diamond chips. The series is produced by Universal Media Studios and Reveille. The executive producer/writer is Michelle Nader ("The King of Queens") and the executive producer/director is Paul Feig ("Freaks and Geeks," "The Office"). Gina Riley, Jane Turner and Rick McKenna also are executive producers.

SNL THURSDAY NIGHT LIVE - Dubbed "TV's funniest and most influential political player" by Entertainment Weekly, "SNL" expands its "Weekend Update" coverage to Thursdays in primetime for three live half-hour shows beginning October 16. With all of the excitement and attention around "Saturday Night Live" during the presidential primaries, the anticipation for the show's take on this Fall's election will be at a fever pitch, "SNL Thursday Night Live" will keep the momentum -- and the laughs -- going. The program is a production of Broadway Video in association with SNL Studios. Lorne Michaels is the executive producer.
Old 04-03-08, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
So you actually were serious?

I see absolutely nothing new of interest other than a spin off they may get off the ground of a show I really like. Even that is apparently not a fall launch even though it seemed to have been announced forever ago. I used to be Mr. NBC -- I barely watched anything off that network. This lineup is a pale imitation of that NBC and is the second time in two years they have come up really weak. Coincidentally, they parted ways with Kevin Reilly right about the time of the announcement of the 2007-2008 schedule.

Kevin Reilly is as close to my TV hero as executives come. He had a hand in Newsradio, The Sopranos, The Shield, Nip/Tuck, 30 Rock, The Office, Studio 60, My Name Is Earl, ER, and Just Shoot Me. What the hell has Jeff Zucker ever done besides admirably beat colon cancer (and I mean that seriously -- that dude has my respect for the way he dealt with that disease)? What on Earth creatively has the guy they replaced Reilly with done? The industry buzz seems to be that NBC way overspent on Sunday Night Football and is letting the rest of the schedule suffer for it. This dreck sure seems to support that proposition.
I wasn't being serious about CSI but the rest yes. You continue to call the lineup shit and dreck and have said nothing to support your position other than how much you love Kevin Reilly.

Even if NBC has nothing new of interest to you, it still has several excellent shows:

Chuck
Heroes
Earl
30 Rock
Office
Life
FNL

I think your love for Mr. Rilley has jaded your objectivity.
Old 04-03-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know how many of those shows wouldn't be on NBC but for Kevin Reilly fighting for them? I have no idea how behind Life and Chuck he was because they slashed the number of pilots made last year, but he was the guy pushing FNL, The Office, My Name Is Earl, 30 Rock, and Heroes. In particular, he faced stiff opposition against My Name Is Earl and The Office and fought for them.

By the way, where on Earth did you get the idea that I was trying to be objective? When it comes to my TV watching, I'm quite biased in favor of shows I enjoy watching and against crap. If it's your thing to take in the Spike TV lineup and rate it as objectively as possible, have at it. I'm not going to waste my time that way.
Old 04-03-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Do you know how many of those shows wouldn't be on NBC but for Kevin Reilly fighting for them? I have no idea how behind Life and Chuck he was because they slashed the number of pilots made last year, but he was the guy pushing FNL, The Office, My Name Is Earl, 30 Rock, and Heroes. In particular, he faced stiff opposition against My Name Is Earl and The Office and fought for them.

By the way, where on Earth did you get the idea that I was trying to be objective? When it comes to my TV watching, I'm quite biased in favor of shows I enjoy watching and against crap. If it's your thing to take in the Spike TV lineup and rate it as objectively as possible, have at it. I'm not going to waste my time that way.
Now I'm even more confused with your position. So you like all the shows that he got on the network, which are still ON the Network, but now are somehow a "pile of shit" and "crap"?

BTW Jimmy, you know i like you, I really dig your LOST comments, which is why I'm very confused by your comments here.
Old 04-03-08, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Thursday Night Live preview.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPtygcfr5uA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPtygcfr5uA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 04-03-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-03-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I remember correctly, they've already done "Thursday Night Live," a few years ago. They ran after super-sized versions of the shows (primarily "Friends), and were essentially fifteen or so minute versions of the show.

Nothing new. More "blasts from the past"...
Old 04-03-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B.A.
Damn, LIFE deserved better.

Assholes.
Yep, I'd assume that timeslot is where shows go to die.
Old 04-03-08, 11:41 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Crusoe sounds interesting, but the Friday time slot doesn't bode well. Kings could be cool, and Ian McShane being in it sells it. I'm not really sure we needed yet another retelling of the King Arthur mythology, but with Anthony Head involved in Merlin I'll give it a shot. And the Office Spinoff I'm hesitant about but I will definitely give it a chance.

The others I'm unsure about until I see some promos.
Old 04-03-08, 11:46 AM
Suspended

They really should do a 30 Rock spinoff with Jack Donaghy's family. I'd watch that.
Old 04-03-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Now I'm even more confused with your position. So you like all the shows that he got on the network, which are still ON the Network, but now are somehow a "pile of shit" and "crap"?

BTW Jimmy, you know i like you, I really dig your LOST comments, which is why I'm very confused by your comments here.
I like you as well, Josh. I'm not at all trying to make this personal.

My comments are aimed at the delta, if you will. I'm looking at what is new. I'm not going to stop watching my NBC shows over this, but I look at their new stuff, and I don't see anything on its face that is must see television. It's a bad development season. That doesn't take away from the current shows, but it has a lot to do with both NBC's chances of turning around its position in the cellar of the 4 most established networks and my chances of finding something new that is worthy.
Old 09-08-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Knight Rider and 30 Rock will debut a week prior to their TV Broadcast on Hulu.com (Sept. 17 for KR and Oct. 23 for 30 Rock). Not sure if it holds true for NBC.com as well.