Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Monty Python Comes to BBC America

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-bb...,3118531.story

Remastered 'Flying Circus' debuts in May
March 19, 2008

'Monty Python's Flying Circus'

The legendary comedy troupe Monty Python will mount a new campaign on American shores starting on Memorial Day.

BBC America has acquired the rights to all four seasons of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" -- plus a pair of specials the troupe did for West German television -- and will begin airing them in a 10-hour marathon on Monday, May 26. The show is one of a handful of new comedy properties coming to the cable network.

Season three of "The Graham Norton Show" will also be making its U.S. premiere in the spring, along with the sitcom "Not Going Out," starring comedian Lee Mack. Norton's show, featuring guests like Courtney Love, John Waters, Elle McPherson and Rufus Wainwright, premieres Saturday, April 26, and "Not Going Out" debuts Friday, May 2.

The "Flying Circus" episodes have been digitally remastered, allowing fans of the Cheese Shop, "How Not to Be Seen" and Spam a fresh look at the classic sketch series. It also includes the lesser-seen pair of "Fliegender Zirkus" West German TV specials, including one in which Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, John Cleese, Terry Jones and Michael Palin performed new sketches in phonetic German.

The show is making its BBC America debut. PBS was a long-time home for the show in previous years, and A&E Home Video has released several collections.
I remember the first time I saw them on PBS in the fall of 1976. It was the milk truck deja vu sketch and my life will never be the same.

Chris
Old 03-19-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
My first one was the episode with the sketch where all the fancy fops are out having a picnic with a piano, and one guy jumps in saying "Tennis anyone?", hits the tennis ball, and all hell breaks loose. Got my attention.
This is good news, though I haven't been following it recently, when I first got satellite I was really looking forward to BBCAmerica, but most of what was on were the originals of all the house remodeling shows we've ripped off, and the occasional episode of Black Adder.
Old 03-19-08, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
My first one was the episode with the sketch where all the fancy fops are out having a picnic with a piano, and one guy jumps in saying "Tennis anyone?", hits the tennis ball, and all hell breaks loose. Got my attention.This is good news, though I haven't been following it recently, when I first got satellite I was really looking forward to BBCAmerica, but most of what was on were the originals of all the house remodeling shows we've ripped off, and the occasional episode of Black Adder.
Was that the one where his arm falls off and blood spurts everywhere?

I don't think I have ever laughed harder at anytime in my life than when I saw that for the first time in 1976 or 1977.

Chris
Old 03-19-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Yep. His arm comes off, the piano lid takes off some fingers, blood everywhere, it's like some Rube Goldberg meets Jason Voorhees thing. And their reactions were so great and British. I think the sketch is called Sam Peckinpah's Salad Days, for some reason. Classic. Of course explaining to my parents what I was laughing at was interesting.
Old 03-19-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Monty Python's Flying Circus is still hilarious today. I bought the 16-ton boxset when it came out a year or ago, and I figured it'd be pretty dated now, but I was wrong.
Old 03-19-08, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't these already being shown on BBC America? I swear i've seen them on there before.
Old 03-19-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1-NpyaOWV0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1-NpyaOWV0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Monty Python - Salad Days

I think this was one of early introductions to Monty Python,

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uld5DW9tH4o&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uld5DW9tH4o&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Self Defense - "And Now for Something Completely Different"

"You have now rendered him 'elpless."
Old 03-20-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wishbon3
Monty Python - Salad Days
Yes, a new film by Sam Peckinpah (uber violent director of The Wild Bunch and Straw Dogs for those that missed the reference entirely - which is why Eric Idle sniffing away gets riddled with machine gun fire at the end).

Well, this is okay news, but these have ALL been out on DVD for forever. I wonder how much genuine "remastering" they're going to have done...
Old 03-20-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Okay, I'll watch to see what the fuss is all about. The only MP sketch I've ever seen is the dead polly one.
Old 03-20-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eightiesguy
Aren't these already being shown on BBC America? I swear i've seen them on there before.
Yeah, I've seen them on BBC America as well.
Old 03-20-08, 02:37 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Okay, I'll watch to see what the fuss is all about. The only MP sketch I've ever seen is the dead polly one.
It isn't dead. It's resting.
Old 03-24-08, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
It isn't dead. It's resting.
No, it is an EX-parrot!
Old 03-24-08, 10:23 PM

Speaking of Monty Python, how many have seen The Holy Grail?
Old 03-25-08, 04:51 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
yes
Old 03-25-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by thundergod
Speaking of Monty Python, how many have seen The Holy Grail?
Hard to say but it made $1.6 million on initial release
Old 03-25-08, 07:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Claytonian
No, it is an EX-parrot!
It's bleeding demised!

I wonder if they'll remaster the dvd's as well or do an HD set now.