TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

digital tv transition '09

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: digital tv transition '09

Originally Posted by Ranger
So I just found out that the house passed it yesterday. Dammit, what a mess. So freaking pointless.

Is there a site that lists which stations will turn off analong Feb 17?
AVS has some data but I don't know if it is reliable. The FCC posted new rules today. You can hunt for a link (at AVS among other places) but my summary:

1) If a station is committed to its 2/17 analog shutoff, it may shut off then, but it MUST re-notify FCC by Monday 2/9 and start running a lot of extra crawls and PSAs. Any prior notifications have no meaning.

2) No station may shut off between Feb 18 and March 13 (except for equipment failure)

3) Beginning March 13 (90 days before June 12) stations may plan to shutdown with 30 day notice to FCC and viewers

4) FCC "hopes" they will all stay on the air until June 12. If too many shut down, it may force some to remain on the air. Not clear how this threat will be carried out.

5) All stations must run their digital operation on their "pre-transition" license, which may affect power and channel. They may not change to post-transition digital operation without FCC approval (of course, that approval is automatic for June 12, until Congress decides idiots STILL aren't ready and delays again)

I think what really happens depends on what happens 2/17, and whether FCC can force anyone to stay on the air. If "most" analog stays on the air until June 12, I predict there will be another (perhaps many) delay(s). We may never go digital.
Old 02-05-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far it looks like all the station in my area (central Iowa) are planning to stick with the original plan and end their analog broadcasts as scheduled. At least one is ending analog early in order to finish some sort of construction project related to the switchover.

This delay is only going to add to the confusion.
Old 02-05-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude
I think what really happens depends on what happens 2/17, and whether FCC can force anyone to stay on the air. If "most" analog stays on the air until June 12, I predict there will be another (perhaps many) delay(s). We may never go digital.
Yep. Hopefully most stations will just shut down on the 17th, or this could drag on forever.

Here, it looks like two of the big four are shutting down on the 17th, one is undecided, and one is staying until June.
Old 02-05-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We may never go digital.
How many times has this already been pushed back?

Wasn't it going to be 2002, then 2007, then Feb 17th 2009?

I really wish they would have just said "Feb 17th" and been done with it.
Old 02-06-09, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Can we get rid of AM radio next? The sound quality of that is crap.
Old 02-06-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, the President is delaying signature of this bill until at least Monday to collect public opinion. Read the bill and tell him what you think at:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing_room/dtv_delay_act/

Hopefully you will tell him this is a bad idea and is making the situation even more confusin while delaying the full launch of digital (many stations are wrong frequency, reduced power, or reduced antenna height because of temporary facilities or interference issues). Let digital "be all it can be." Give the unneeded frequencies to first responders. Reduce greenhouse gases by stopping the broadcast of the same station on two frequencies.

But even if you it's good he cares about feeble people for whom more than one year of warning wasn't enough time to prepare, tell him what you think.

Edit: HEY MODS:
This has gotten fairly Political. Does it belong in TV or Politics?

Last edited by OldDude; 02-06-09 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-09-09, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ I submitted my comments.

My ABC affiliate announced they're waiting until June now.
Old 02-10-09, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I submitted a comment as well.

I believe one of the stations here (CW affiliate I think) said they were going to do the switch on Feb 17th no matter what.
Old 02-10-09, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Update on my locals: two network affiliates are switching in a week, two are waiting until June and two have yet to announce.

For anyone not ready for the transition, this "some here, some there" must be even more confusing.
Old 02-10-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Any station that has not announced is "waiting for a while." Starting today, stations shutting down 2/17/2009 must run a crawl for 5 minutes of every hour (on the analog channel).

If not on or before 2/17, no station can shut down prior to 3/14/2009 (there may be exceptions for transmitter failure), and must precede that shutdown with 30 days of crawls announcing it.
Old 02-10-09, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any station that has not announced is "waiting for a while." Starting today, stations shutting down 2/17/2009 must run a crawl for 5 minutes of every hour (on the analog channel).
If it's on the analog channel, I say let it run 24/7. I won't see it.
Old 02-10-09, 06:14 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090210/...us_dtv_local_2

Many local TV stations to go ahead with DTV switch

1 hr 36 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – About 40 percent of the nation's hundreds of TV stations will be broadcasting completely in digital signals next week, even after regulators delayed a mandatory nationwide switch to "DTV" by months.

The Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday said 681 of the nearly 1800 television broadcast stations will have already stopped broadcasting in older, analog signals, or will by next week.

The U.S. House of Representatives last week voted to delay the mandatory change by four months -- to June 12 from February 17. President Barack Obama is expected to sign the bill into law shortly.

The switch is intended to free up spectrum for public safety and provide better television viewing.

But the delayed bill gave television stations, which say they've spent millions of dollars preparing and educating viewers of the switch-over, the option to transition to all digital on the original date, next Tuesday.

Backers of the delay feared that 20 million mostly poor, elderly or rural households were not prepared due to a shortage of government coupons meant to defray the cost of converter boxes.

The major U.S. television networks CBS Corp, General Electric Co's NBC and Walt Disney Co's ABC, vowed last week to continue to transmit TV signals in analog.

But the networks own only about 100 of the 1800 or so broadcast television stations in the U.S., according to an industry group.

The FCC gave broadcasters a deadline of Monday, giving them the option to decide and reserve the right to review the decisions.

(Reporting by Kim Dixon; Editing by Bernard Orr)
Chris
Old 02-11-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming this is why CW and ABC had dead air on Monday night in my area?
Old 02-17-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So what's happening in your tv market today?

Nationwide, just over one-third will be shut down by midnight tonight (or sooner), the rest staying at least for a while or maybe to June 12.

In Detroit area, 2 of 9 are shutting down analog later today and running "ending 2/17" crawls. No one else is running crawls, so they must be staying at least 30 days.
Old 02-17-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Of the big 4 in Tulsa, only one is switching (CBS). That'll be in 30 minutes. Too bad I watch nothing on that channel.
Old 02-17-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Here, it looks like two of the big four are shutting down on the 17th, one is undecided, and one is staying until June.
That has now changed. All four have decided to delay until June
Old 02-17-09, 01:36 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

In SF, 4 Stations, none of which I have ever watched are dropping analog today

The four stations - KCNS (Channel 38), KOFY (Channel 20), KICU (Channel 36) and KFTY (Channel 50) - will no longer be available to consumers with older TV sets that rely on over-the-air signals.
Old 02-17-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank Christ that all four in my area are switching tonight at midnight. Good riddance to those incessant effing notices scrolling across the screen screwing up my HD.
Old 02-17-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Haven't turned the tv on today, so I am not sure what the stations in my area did yet. I will ahve to check when i get home from work. I am halfway converted right now. Still need to get some boxes for a couple of the bedroom tvs.
Old 02-17-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Of the 4 in my area, all but one switched. The NBC station is waiting until June.
Old 02-17-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

4 of the 5 channels I get are switching today. I don't know about the local ABC station as I hardly watch it.

I'm glad I won't have to see those digital TV commercials ever again.
Old 02-18-09, 05:02 PM

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterso...YEUl9sdHADMQ--

"Steady stream of questions" as stations switch to DTV

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:48AM EST

More than 400 U.S. stations turned off their analog TV broadcasts Tuesday, and station managers say their phones are "ringing off the hook" with viewers confused by the early switch; that said, many admit they knew it was coming.

Variety reports that while most U.S. viewers were ready for the switch (indeed, a recent Nielsen survey found that more than 95 percent of viewers were ready for the analog TV shutoff), stations that made the switch Tuesday were inundated with "a steady stream of questions from "frustrated callers" who "wondered how to get coupons for [DTV] converter boxes … or how to get the devices working."

Now, hold on—didn't Congress vote to delay the DTV transition date from Feb. 17 to June 12? It sure did, but hundreds of stations lobbied the FCC to make the switch on Tuesday, the original analog TV shutoff date. (Only those with older, analog TVs and over-the-air antennas will be affected by the switch.)

As Engadget HD reports, a total of 421 stations turned off their analog TV transmissions on Tuesday, joining more than 200 others that had already made the switch. While the FCC initially denied the requests of more than 100 stations seeking to jump the June 12 deadline, 53 later got the go-ahead (according to Engadget HD).

Although the vast majority of TV markets in the U.S. still have most of their stations broadcasting in both analog and digital, a few areas—notably San Diego and Santa Barbara, Calif.; Madison, Wisc.; Sioux City, Iowa; Waco, Texas; Scranton, Penn.; and large swaths of Rhode Island and Vermont—saw most or all of their major stations make the DTV switch on Tuesday, according to Variety.

Phones at those stations were "ringing off the hook" Tuesday, with one Providence, R.I. volunteer telling Variety that he had to explain to "agitated" viewers that "the digital switch is not something we're doing to extort them of money."

Other viewers sheepishly admitted that they'd known about the switch all along, with an exec for a Scranton PBS station noting: "Everybody admits that it's their fault … some people seemed to be mad at themselves for not doing something sooner" (this from the Variety story).

Indeed—and with many stations now only broadcasting bare-bones, "nite-lite" analog crawls telling viewers how to get DTV converter boxes, I'm sure many analog TV viewers have been jolted out of their DTV denial.

Meanwhile, President Obama's just-passed stimulus package is set to give the stalled DTV converter box coupon program a much-needed kick in the pants.

Engadget HD notes that once $650 million from the stimulus package flows into the $1.5 billion program (which provides two $40 coupons per households for the $50-$60 DTV converter boxes), the backlog of four million applications should be cleared within two weeks.

So yes—the DTV transition (which has been in the making for 10 years now, and will make way for new, 4G wireless technologies and improved transmissions for rescue workers) couldn't be more of a mess, but at least we're making some headway. Now let's hope that the new, June 12 deadline stays put.
Chris
Old 02-18-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Tough shit to those that are lazy instead of being proactive towards preparing for digital transition. They just need to do the switch, damn those that held off for so long.
Old 02-18-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I know of 2 local stations that announced they're turning off their analog signal.

I have a co-worker who uses a small local cable company and they had to get converter boxes because the cable company wasn't doing the converting.
Old 02-18-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I have a co-worker who uses a small local cable company and they had to get converter boxes because the cable company wasn't doing the converting.
I don't get it. If he's getting a cable signal, that's going through wires in the ground. The issue here is that signals would stop being sent through the air, so cable is irrelevant. At least, that's my understanding.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.