Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

digital tv transition '09

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

digital tv transition '09

Old 02-27-08, 12:45 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Bruno, California
Posts: 543
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
digital tv transition '09

Just curious how directv will handle transition?
Old 02-27-08, 12:50 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,961
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
There is nothing for them to handle. It's already digital.
Old 02-27-08, 12:52 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
There is nothing for them to handle. It's already digital.
Correct. The only people affected will be people receiving over the air (OTA) broadcast feeds (e.g. "rabbit ears"). I'm certain that affects more people than most of us realize (everyone *I* know in the DC area has cable or satellite)...

I do, however, get my HD feed OTA because I refuse to pay DirecTV for stuff my TiVo HD can record for free.
Old 02-27-08, 12:58 PM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Correct. The only people affected will be people receiving over the air (OTA) broadcast feeds (e.g. "rabbit ears"). I'm certain that affects more people than most of us realize (everyone *I* know in the DC area has cable or satellite)...
I know several people who live in large citiest have rabbit ears. They just don't watch enough to justify paying. Those people will likely go to having no TV (yes, I also know people in major cities without TVs *gasp*).
Old 02-27-08, 12:59 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 11,479
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about people who have cable, but *no* set-top box, e.g. "analog" cable
only going to channel 100 or so?

Will that disappear, leaving only set-top box options that will render my old, trusty, souped-up TiVo Mach 1 nearly useless?
Old 02-27-08, 01:14 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,961
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
How about people who have cable, but *no* set-top box, e.g. "analog" cable
only going to channel 100 or so?

Will that disappear, leaving only set-top box options that will render my old, trusty, souped-up TiVo Mach 1 nearly useless?
Common source of confusion. The transition applies to OVER THE AIR ANALOG BROADCASTS.

You will not be affected.
Old 02-27-08, 01:27 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 17,262
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
People not understanding that only OTA is affected is going to cost the government billions in vouchers.
Old 02-27-08, 01:38 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,961
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
People not understanding that only OTA is affected is going to cost the government billions in vouchers.
Considering how poorly they've communicated the transition to the general public, perhaps it's appropriate, but that money is ultimately ours anyway.
Old 02-27-08, 02:03 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Bruno, California
Posts: 543
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for info.
Old 02-27-08, 04:25 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Under Golden Gate Bridge
Posts: 10,912
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are those convertor boxes and the coupons that were promised? The boxes were supposed to be available in stores this month.
Old 02-27-08, 04:38 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 17,262
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Considering how poorly they've communicated the transition to the general public, perhaps it's appropriate, but that money is ultimately ours anyway.
The money is ours, but it isn't like you can buy anything else with the voucher. We're just going to see millions of people with unused converters lying around.
Old 02-27-08, 05:01 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,522
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
Where are those convertor boxes and the coupons that were promised?
The coupons are here: www.dtv2009.gov
Old 02-27-08, 05:20 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Under Golden Gate Bridge
Posts: 10,912
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The coupons are here: www.dtv2009.gov
I applied online for them but what I mean is they haven't sent them out.
Old 02-27-08, 05:23 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,961
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
I applied online for them but what I mean is they haven't sent them out.
Not much of a hurry. There's still plenty of time and not many stores have stock.
Old 02-27-08, 06:14 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,813
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I "get" how the digital TV transition is going to work in 2009, but I'm wondering if this will only affect US citizens or all of North America?

I have digital cable ('Shaw') in 2/4 rooms that have TVs in them, so if it does affect Canadians; will we get a "coupon" as well?

I know this probably a silly thought, but does anyone think that home video sales (DVDs, Blu-ray) will increase a little because some people just don't "understand" this DTV transition?
Old 02-27-08, 07:07 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nateman
I "get" how the digital TV transition is going to work in 2009, but I'm wondering if this will only affect US citizens or all of North America?

I have digital cable ('Shaw') in 2/4 rooms that have TVs in them, so if it does affect Canadians; will we get a "coupon" as well?
You obviously don't get it if you think it will affect cable. The only way it will affect Canadians are those close to the border that can pick up American OTA broadcasts.
Old 02-27-08, 07:19 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,063
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
I know several people who live in large citiest have rabbit ears. They just don't watch enough to justify paying. Those people will likely go to having no TV (yes, I also know people in major cities without TVs *gasp*).
The converter boxes look to be going for
Old 02-27-08, 07:37 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 34,191
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Considering how poorly they've communicated the transition to the general public, perhaps it's appropriate, but that money is ultimately ours anyway.
The local TV stations have been talking about it a lot out here. And I expect to see the local stations really ramping it up as the deadline gets closer. They know they are the ones that people will be calling when their TVs stop working and it's in their best interest to get the word out as much as possible.
Old 02-27-08, 07:48 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,063
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I've seen enough of the PSAs to be sick of them and we have 51 weeks to go.
Old 02-27-08, 11:24 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,609
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman
I "get" how the digital TV transition is going to work in 2009, but I'm wondering if this will only affect US citizens or all of North America?
The digital TV transition date varies throughout the world. Some countries have already gone digital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...time_announced
Old 02-28-08, 07:55 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nateman
I have digital cable ('Shaw') in 2/4 rooms that have TVs in them, so if it does affect Canadians; will we get a "coupon" as well?
(Shaking Magic 8 Ball)All signs point to NO.

Why would US tax dollars subsidize Canadian viewers, eh? Get yer own government to pay for it, ya hoser!
Old 02-28-08, 08:51 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,196
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=OldDude]The converter boxes look to be going for
Old 02-28-08, 09:06 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 4,525
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vipper II
But many people, myself included (even though I don't have to worry about it), are of the belief that they shouldn't have to pay to save anything; it's the principle of being forced to do something, not the cost. That's how I see it, anyway.
Come on - let's be realistic... That kind of thinking halts advancement of society.

There are no more 5", 3.5" floppy disks, VHS is dead, Cassette tapes, if you want to "save" your old media you need to spend $ on adapters etc. Your tv will still work with your DVD and VHS - you just won't get any NEW content.

I remember when record companies stopped dual releasing albums on both CD and Cassette Tape - I could listen to my old tapes, but if I wanted new releases I would be "forced" to buy a CD player.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-28-08, 09:20 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,196
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Come on - let's be realistic... That kind of thinking halts advancement of society.

There are no more 5", 3.5" floppy disks, VHS is dead, Cassette tapes, if you want to "save" your old media you need to spend $ on adapters etc. Your tv will still work with your DVD and VHS - you just won't get any NEW content.

I remember when record companies stopped dual releasing albums on both CD and Cassette Tape - I could listen to my old tapes, but if I wanted new releases I would be "forced" to buy a CD player.

Just my $0.02
You're absolutely right. I should learn to stop posting when I'm mentally exhausted.
Old 02-28-08, 09:26 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xbox69
The digital TV transition date varies throughout the world. Some countries have already gone digital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...time_announced


In Mexico there is a 20-year plan to switch, with the target year of 2022 for the analog shut-off.
Nope. No justification for the "lazy" sterotype there.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.