TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

digital tv transition '09

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: digital tv transition '09

Originally Posted by OldDude
Absolutely. The government is NOT subsidizing HDTV. They are trying to "make whole" the people who have analog-only (NTSC) Tvs, receiving over the air, and would lose what they had because the government ORDERED it shut down. You can get a 480i video signal, and stereo sound; that's it.

Boxes do have some feature differences on S-video, on/off timers to help VCRs and electronic program guide. But just about anything else is "not allowed."

If you want HD for an HD-ready TV (no ATSC tuner), Digital Dolby, etc, you have to buy a "real" HD box.
In my case I wasn't looking for HD, but I would like a box that offers more than just analog pass through. It would be a lot more convenient to have a single tuner for both analog and digital channels.
Old 01-26-09, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
In my case I wasn't looking for HD, but I would like a box that offers more than just analog pass through. It would be a lot more convenient to have a single tuner for both analog and digital channels.
I think you may be confusing what converter boxes do... with analog pass through. Analog pass through is an extra feature that not all the converter boxes have. It just passes the analog signal from the antenna on through to your TV set's antenna connection.

A converter box needs to be connected to a TV with component (RCA) connectors or, for a better video signal, S-Video. If you have a converter box attached to your TV with coax cable, you aren't getting a converted signal (unless the converter box DOES NOT have analog pass through). You're still receiving the analog signal... only with a little bit more degradation from having to pass thru another set of connections.

I don't see the point of analog pass through anyway, since analog signals are going away... sooner (in Feb) or later (July... maybe).

I live 40 miles north of Phoenix and over 20 years have had 3 antennas, each rated for 75 mile reception range. There are 9 stations (not counting the nearly half dozen religious and Hispanic channels), and their signals all come from one point, a group of broadcast towers located on Black Mountain, south of the city. Analog reception has varied considerably (some stations have less power).

But not with digital. Every station looks terrific and much better than the best analog signals I have ever received in 20 years. Considering how well my converter box works (connected via S-video), I don't even watch analog broadcasts anymore.
Old 01-26-09, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Has anyone used the set top converters? They are terrible. ... Same thing with the TV although I don't see there being an improvement to reception.
If you have a converter box and the video looks terrible, I would suggest connecting the box to your TV with an S-video cable. If you are connecting it with a coax cable and your converter box has the "analog pass through" feature, you aren't getting a converted signal. A converter box with "analog pass through" does not send a converted signal through a coax connection. It simply passes the analog signal from your antenna on to your TV.

I have had a converter box for about a week and every station (I receive nine) looks terrific. Much better than the best analog signal broadcasts I have ever received in the 20 years I have lived here. My current set is a four year old, 4:3 TV and I get better looking OTA TV with my convertor box than my son does on his new Sony HDTV with (non-HD) DirecTV .

Originally Posted by tanman
I wonder how many people are going to switch to cable and satellite because of this. How much is cable charging nowadays for basic antennae channels?
More than will really need to, I think. Cable is quite a bit more than the cost of a converter box... and a new UHF antenna, if one is needed.
Old 01-26-09, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my converter box hooked up via component and when the Olympics were on they looked amazing on my TV
Old 01-26-09, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
You can get one with both NTSC and ATSC tuners, but it's not going to be one of the cheap converter boxes. You'll have to get a full HD tuner (which you can still use on an SD set):
http://www.amazon.com/ATSC-QAM-NTSC-...dp/B000V8XR1U/

There's also a number of DVD recorders on sale that have both tuners, which you could use as a tuner box instead:
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR560-...p/B001415ENM/r

Originally Posted by Jon2
I don't see the point of analog pass through anyway, since analog signals are going away... sooner (in Feb) or later (July... maybe).
The switchover isn't manditory for all TV stations. Low Power, Class A, and TV Translator stations can stay on analog for the time being:
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq22
Old 01-26-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have a converter box and the video looks terrible, I would suggest connecting the box to your TV with an S-video cable. If you are connecting it with a coax cable and your converter box has the "analog pass through" feature, you aren't getting a converted signal. A converter box with "analog pass through" does not send a converted signal through a coax connection. It simply passes the analog signal from your antenna on to your TV.
This is not quite correct.

There are some (mostly low power) analog stations which remain after analog shutoff. Analog pass through lets you view those when the converter box is turned off or in an inactive mode.

When the box is on, it converts the digital station it is tuned to to analog and outputs it on:
*Channel 3/4 on the RF output
*Composite video on the yellow RCA
*S-Video out, if so equipped.

In pass-through mode, it outputs the antenna signal only on the RF output, and you can use the analog tuner in your tv. For ANY converter box, you could split the antenna siganl and route to TV's antenna input IF you connect the box via composite or S-video.

Most (all??) boxes only support mono sound on the RF modulator, so if you want stereo, at least use the composite out (or S-video if available) and hook up the white/red RCAs for the stereo sound signal. The picture quality will also be better than via RF modulator.
Old 01-26-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the links, Jay G. I know there are more expensive options, but my original post was about how none of these options are coupon eligible.

From what I've gathered in order to use the coupon I'll have to find a box with analog pass through and then set it up so I can turn off the box so it just passes the analog through and use the TV's tuner for analog/cable and then turn it on and use the converter's tuner for digital.

EDIT: I'm slow this morning so I didn't see OldDude's post before I posted.

Last edited by wmansir; 01-26-09 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-26-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I am getting ready to pull the plug on a converter box for the bedroom tv, and the one I have my eye on is the Insignia @ Best Buy, but I am looking for other options, too.

ETA: It seems that the Insignia box that I am looking at is the same as the Zenith.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1029256

Last edited by B.A.; 01-26-09 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-26-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B.A.
I am getting ready to pull the plug on a converter box for the bedroom tv, and the one I have my eye on is the Insignia @ Best Buy, but I am looking for other options, too.

ETA: It seems that the Insignia box that I am looking at is the same as the Zenith.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1029256
Yes it is the same. I have the Zenith DTT901 and I'm very pleased with its performance. The other one that gets high marks for performance in AVS threads is the ChannelMaster (7000??).

The others seem to have roughly equal supporters and haters, even where they have some unique feature..
Old 01-26-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I think you may be confusing what converter boxes do... with analog pass through. Analog pass through is an extra feature that not all the converter boxes have. It just passes the analog signal from the antenna on through to your TV set's antenna connection.

A converter box needs to be connected to a TV with component (RCA) connectors or, for a better video signal, S-Video. If you have a converter box attached to your TV with coax cable, you aren't getting a converted signal (unless the converter box DOES NOT have analog pass through). You're still receiving the analog signal... only with a little bit more degradation from having to pass thru another set of connections.
I assume you meant composite rather than component? S-Video is not better than component, and yet you state it is. The correct statement would be, "composite connectors or, for a better video signal, S-Video".
Old 01-26-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes it is the same. I have the Zenith DTT901 and I'm very pleased with its performance. The other one that gets high marks for performance in AVS threads is the ChannelMaster (7000??).
The CM-7000 has an S-Video output, too. It is $45.99 (+9.95/shipping) on Solid Signal. I'm thinking about that one, too. However, I can go to my local best buy and pick up the Insignia right now. That will probably be the play. It's a bedroom TV that is used more for watching DVDs than it is the local networks. S-Video isn't too much of a concern, imo.

Ended up getting the Insignia over my lunch break. I went home to get my coupon and noticed that it expired tomorrow! Thankfully, the BB I went to had one unit left.

I would have had to use my coupon at least three days before it expired to get the ChannelMaster anyway. Oh well.

Last edited by B.A.; 01-26-09 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Update: Senate approves delay!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28863961/

WASHINGTON - People who have not gotten their TV sets ready for the changeover to digital signals could earn a four-month reprieve under a bill making its way through Congress.

The Senate voted Monday to delay until June 12 the deadline for the changeover from analog to digital television broadcasting. People still getting their pictures through old-fashioned antennas otherwise would face a Feb. 17 cutoff.

Comparable legislation is being readied in the House, and the Obama administration has called for a delay amid mounting concerns that too many Americans who rely on over-the-air broadcast signals won't be ready.

It's estimated that more than 6.5 million U.S. households are still not prepared for the upcoming transition.
Old 01-26-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
Update: Senate approves delay!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28863961/
To add to the confusion, other versions of the article say the delay is optional. Stations can petition the FCC to shut off analog early. (some stations have alreday done so, including all stations in Hawaii, stations in Wilmington, NC, and various individual stations)
Old 01-26-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

booo hisss boooo hisssss

Im sick and tired of the ads.. and now another 6 months?
blah
Old 01-26-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

To add to the confusion, other versions of the article say the delay is optional. Stations can petition the FCC to shut off analog early. (some stations have alreday done so, including all stations in Hawaii, stations in Wilmington, NC, and various individual stations)
Did they have to get waivers or something in order to shut them down early? And I would think everyone has to agree... I can see one network affiliate not wanting to shut down analog if their competitors are not doing so.
Old 01-26-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The delay is a gigantic waste of money, which is about all our gov't is good for.

I hooked up an Insignia converter to my old Trinitron this afternoon - the setup was simple and the picture looks great. Now I just need to figure out what is wrong w/ the VCR so I can hook it up through that for an emergency back-up.
Old 01-26-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

did the House approve it as well?
Old 01-26-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
did the House approve it as well?
Not yet. And it isn't clear if they will pass Senate bill, or a bill of their own that requires conferencing to resolve.
Old 01-26-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Disappointing, but hopefully more stations will petition.
Old 01-27-09, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

from Associated Press:

NEW YORK – Delaying the upcoming digital TV transition for four months would cost public broadcasters $22 million, the PBS system chief estimated on Monday.

Paula Kerger, president and CEO of the Public Broadcasting System, said she hopes lawmakers keep that in mind as they consider legislation to delay the switch from Feb. 17 to June 12.

The stations will face increased power charges to maintain over-the-air broadcast signals, she said. Many have leases for signal transmitters that were due to expire on the date of the switch over and will have to make new arrangements, she said.

"This is such a tough situation for our stations because they have just gone through a process where they have raised the money to go through this transition," she said.
Old 01-27-09, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Most PBS stations now are run by people who think like those who work in commercial TV, so let 'em bleed some more money.
Old 01-27-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Mr. President, for wasting more time & money for nothing.
Old 01-27-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

The Louisville (KY) area news last night indicated they were switching to all-digitial in February regardless of the decision to postpone the transition.
Old 01-27-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldblum
What does the President have to do with this? Or much of anything else for that matter?
Old 01-27-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goldblum
If anything wouldn't it be more a failure on the previous administration?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.