Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Night Lights -- "Leave No One Behind" -- 2/1/2008

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 10:59 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Next week is the final episode of the season (series?), right?
Old 02-04-08, 12:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Things are not looking good for fans of Friday Night Lights, the show that critics (and us!) love but that no one actually watches. At a launch party for Lipstick Jungle at Saks last night, attended by a hot Lorraine Bracco, a crazy-looking Matthew Perry, and that guy who played Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore and whose name might as well be That Guy, we had the following conversation with boyish NBC Entertainment head Ben Silverman:

Radar: Quick question! A lot of us are happy that you've kept Friday Night Lights on the air despite lousy ratings. It's totally the best show on TV. But is there going to be another season?
Silverman: Do you watch 30 Rock? That's the best show on TV.

Not regularly. But what about FNL?
Start watching 30 Rock. It's the best show on TV.

I don't want to watch 30 Rock. I want to watch FNL. I love it.
I love it. You love it. Unfortunately, no one watches it. That's the thing with shows. People have to watch them. We're NBC, we have a reputation to uphold. And, man, with this writers' strike ... well, we'll see what we can do. But start watching 30 Rock.
Source: http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...ght-lights.php

This, coupled with the announcement of Season 2 in April (no indication they even want to finish the final 6/7 promised episodes if the strike is resolved) seems like bad news for FNL.
Old 02-04-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
If Kevin Reilly was still the President of NBC, then I could see him giving this show more time. It sounds like Ben Silverman doesn't love the show as much as him and can't wait to pull the plug.
Old 02-04-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Great episode. Everything is better when football is involved.

Saracen's scene in the shower with Coach T (sounds so dirty ) was probably the second best scene of the year. Nothing tops the Tyra/Landry "be a man" scene, but this was damn close.

As for Landry dumping geek chick for Tyra, you have to remember not only is Tyra hot as fuck but they did share an intense life altering (pun intended) moment that neither can fully relate to anyone else. I would bet Landry will be Tyra's "good guy" fling for a bit before she regresses to the Tim Riggins' of the world. Although Mrs. T is making a strong case for Tyra making a complete character turnaround with school activities and college prep. That and just being an overall better role model than Tyra's own mother.

I don't feel sorry for Smash. Was he in the right? Sure those guys were dicks and deserved a good beat down, but Smash has been such an egotistical douchebag for almost two years, I don't care anymore. Well that's not true, I care what happens to his character, but I'm not going to feel sorry for him.
Old 02-04-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Originally Posted by Ben Silverman
We're NBC, we have a reputation to uphold. And, man, with this writers' strike ... well, we'll see what we can do. But start watching 30 Rock.
Hate to break it to you Benny, but NBC's "reputation" hasn't been much of anything to "uphold" of late. You can tout 30 Rock 'til the cows come home, but one hit show does not a network make.
Old 02-04-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I am too lazy to look it up, but i dont seem to remember 30 Rocks ratings being something to write home about.

I just dont get network shows today. You watch and fall in love with a show and find its cancelled after 3-4 episodes. I really wish the networks would either go to an all IN DEMAND format so that i can choose when i want to watch the show during the week, commercials included, or follow the format of the cable networks where they give us 13 episodes and then decide to if they want to bring it back.

And just because i cant say it enough, I HATE American Idol and most of the viewing public that eats it up.
Old 02-05-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't feel sorry for Smash. Was he in the right? Sure those guys were dicks and deserved a good beat down, but Smash has been such an egotistical douchebag for almost two years, I don't care anymore. Well that's not true, I care what happens to his character, but I'm not going to feel sorry for him.
I don't understand your last sentence.

But it's interesting that in this ep, Smash's story line finally parallels the FNL movie's running back's story line where his career ends. It's much more poignant in the movie because there's no doubt his career is over whereas Smash still has options. In fact, the moment when he realizes his career is over is easily the best scene in the movie. Like Smash, this cocky trash talking tough guy puts up a good facade but is reduced to blubbering like the teenage kid that he is once he's away from the other players. Hard not to feel for the guy.
Old 02-05-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Flave

But it's interesting that in this ep, Smash's story line finally parallels the FNL movie's running back's story line where his career ends. It's much more poignant in the movie because there's no doubt his career is over whereas Smash still has options. In fact, the moment when he realizes his career is over is easily the best scene in the movie. Like Smash, this cocky trash talking tough guy puts up a good facade but is reduced to blubbering like the teenage kid that he is once he's away from the other players. Hard not to feel for the guy.
Basically what you said. I care for his character as a whole but given his ego and stupid decisions I don't feel sorry for him riding the bench for a few games. Riding the bench will do wonders for his ego. His options are still wide open for college play.
Old 02-05-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flave
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well that's not true, I care what happens to his character, but I'm not going to feel sorry for him.
I know what he means. He means he wants to see what happens to the character, but he feels no sympathy for him. Not sure how you can't understand that. Frankly the way Smash has been acting the entire series so far, he deserves at least the "humble pie" he's been getting.
Old 02-05-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
What's funny is that I thought that Smash had already lost his scholarship, so that scene was no surprise to me.

Here's my prediction for Smash - that small black college will re-enter the picture as the only school willing to offer him a scholarship. He'll go play for them to be a better man, to make them into a great team, his mom will be happy, and he will be on the path to redemption.
Old 02-05-08, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
So how did Saracen afford an iPhone?
Hah. After a year and half working for minimum wage at the burger place, maybe he decided to treat himself. Or maybe it was recruiting gift (not really). I'm guessing the former.

I agree with Josh. Smash will probably play for a lesser-known, Div I-AA college - excel - and possibly transfer to a more visible I-A school.
Old 02-05-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
maybe it was the stripper's phone?