Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The official "screenshots of TV stars before they became famous" thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
The official "screenshots of TV stars before they became famous" thread

So here's the game... you are watching a TV on DVD season set, and you see a favorite actor, who appeared years later on a hit show and became famous, bit in what you are watching he/she is an unknown with a bit part. Here's the first:

This is from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, the episode "Space Rockers". Who are these unknown thugs? On the left, Richard Moll, who went on to play Nostradamus "Bull" Shannon on Night Court, and on the right is Jerry Orbach, who went on to play the beloved detective Lenny Briscoe on Law and Order.

Let the hunt begin! Post screen caps of whomever you find here.
Old 02-01-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thread!

I've seen so many actors, before they were on a hit TV series, it's not even funny. I'd love to play, but I'm not sure how to get pictures off my DVDs. Could I get some help?

I have a laptop w/ DVD burner (also players DVDs), does that help?
Old 02-01-08, 11:07 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, if Jerry Orbach had worn that outfit in Law & Order I may have actually watched it.
Old 02-01-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E. Honda
This is from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
Can you post some screen caps of Dorothy Stratten? She was in a Buck Rogers episode, but I am not sure which one.
Old 02-01-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was watching an ep of the X-files last night and was sure I'd seen Ben Affleck in a bit part as a pilot but it was on cable so i couldn't get a screencap. Anyone know if it was actually him?
Old 02-01-08, 05:45 PM

I'm busy this evening, and won't be able to be on the computer the rest of the evening, but tomorrow morning while I'm having my coffee, I'll post a whole bunch of good ones. Here's one, for now...

This is Jack Lord, who we all know as the beloved Steve McGarrett from the legendary crime drama, Hawaii Five-O. This is him billed as "Special Guest Star" portraying Bill Hagen in the October 29, 1959 episode, "The Jack Lingle Killing", of The Untouchables.

Big thanks to Chew for recommending me a media player that has the 'snapshot' option.
Old 02-01-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by E. Honda
on the right is Jerry Orbach, who went on to play the beloved detective Lenny Briscoe on Law and Order.
Not to be picky but Jerry Orbach was a well-know and well-respected Broadway actor and had been for years. In other words, he was already famous, just not for TV.
Old 02-01-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No offense to the stage, but Broadway doesn't really count in this day and age. At least not to the general public.
Old 02-02-08, 12:18 PM

I don't know if this one should really count or not, but because he turned into a pretty big movie star, I thought he deserved a mention. You'll probably know this legendary actor from such films as The Godfather: Part II and Apocalypse Now. This is Robert Duvall starring in a two-part episode, "Never Wave Goodbye -pt.1 and pt.2" (10/08/63, 10/15/63), of The Fugitive.

You'll probably know this man best as the voice of Fat Tony on The Simpsons, and the replacement for Mandy Patinkin as lead on Criminal Minds. This is Joe Mantegna portraying Juan One in several episodes of the final season of Soap. This is him in the finale episode of Soap, which aired 4/20/81.

This man might not be as well known to American audiences as he is to Canadian audiences, his most well known roles in the states would be his work on Soap as Dutch, and on the daytime soap, The Young and the Restless. In Canada he's a beloved Canadian character actor who's starred in Danger Bay (horrible show, but it's a Canadian classic) and Da Vinci's Inquest. This is Donnelly Rhodes portraying Raymond Barret in the episode, "The Freeze" (12/23/68), of Mission: Impossible.

This is Ed Asner (billed as Edward Asner) who everyone knows as the beloved Lou Grant from Marry Tyler Moore and his own spinoff, Lou Grant. This is him guest starring as George Simpson, in the episode, "The Mind of Stefan Milkos" (1/12/69), of Mission: Impossible.

This is Larry Linville, who is best known as Frank Burns in the first five seasons of the iconic dramedy, M*A*S*H. This is him portraying Captain Gulka in the episode, "The Glass Cage" (2/2/69), of Mission: Impossible.
Old 02-02-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There were a lot of female guest stars in Seinfeld that ended up being famous. Too lazy to find and post pics though.
Old 02-02-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Not to be picky but Jerry Orbach was a well-know and well-respected Broadway actor and had been for years. In other words, he was already famous, just not for TV.
I always knew him as the dad from Dirty Dancing.
Old 02-02-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Great threads for Lenny Briscoe.
Old 02-02-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ashley Judd as Ensign Lefler, Wesley's first love, in ST:TNG. Wil Wheaton you lucky dog!
Old 02-02-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I always knew him as the dad from Dirty Dancing.
Me too! I never watched Law & Order, so when people mention him in that, it means nothing to me.
Old 02-02-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nightwing82
No offense to the stage, but Broadway doesn't really count in this day and age. At least not to the general public.
Maybe for you, but there are plenty of theatre fans and many big Broadway stars. Nathan Lane and Harvey Fierstein immediately come to mind, and there are many others.

And it was definitely a big influence when Jerry Orbach was in his heyday.
Old 02-02-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Kirsty Alley on Match Game.

Last edited by Timber; 02-02-08 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-02-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nikki Cox playing Sarjenka the alien on Star Trek:The Next Generation. She's currently(?) Mary Connell on Las Vegas.
Old 02-05-08, 05:33 PM

I was watch Law & Order: SVU - The First Year TV on DVD set, and while watching episode 18 ("Chat Room"), I noticed Ellen Muth from Dead Like Me.