Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Eli Stone -- "Pilot" -- 1/31/2008

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-08, 05:22 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I was at Victor Garber singing. Was that actually his voice?
Victor Garber played Daddy Warbucks in the Annie movie back in 2000. He's got a musical theater background.

I too enjoyed the ep last night... but I was disappoint that George Michaels wasn't the one singing "Freedom."
Old 02-08-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Victor Garber played Daddy Warbucks in the Annie movie back in 2000. He's got a musical theater background.
That's what I thought -- so I was surprised his singing wasn't that great. but I wondered if he was "acting" - trying to sound like a non-singer singing, if that makes any sense.
Old 02-08-08, 07:27 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Continues to be an engaging show...got a kick out of Garber's musical number as well.
Old 02-08-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't quite get fully engaged into this show. Some of it feels like it wants to be Ally McBeal meets Highway to Heaven. I don't really like Johnny Lee Miller (plus that thing on his head needs co-billing), but it's nice to see Julie Gonzalo, even though in a more adult role showing a so-so comedic side to her. Natasha Henstridge is sort of wasted in this show, though they do take as many opportunities to get her in various states of undress.
Old 02-08-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode and like the fact that it's a little bit like Ally McBeal. Johnny Lee Miller is easy on the eyes and the episode has me looking forward to this week's episode. I'll keep tuning in.
Old 02-09-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed the first episode, but almost hated the second one due to Julie Gonzalo's character. Nothing against her, I liked her in Veronica Mars (for the most part), but I hated her character in this. I find it hard to believe a huge law firm like that would hire someone that seems to know absolutely nothing about law and courtroom procedures. Not to mention her overall disposition just annoyed the hell out of me.
Old 02-15-08, 09:44 AM

Good ep last night.

I didn't see that twist coming and felt for Eli at the end of the episode.

Tom Cavannagh is doing a great job in this show... I just wish that Jonny Lee Miller would get a decent haircut.
Old 02-16-08, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
In general I'm liking the show. I had to look up the actor playing the brother so I could place him though (he was a bad guy in Mask of Zorro).

As for last night's episode, I thought it was realistic that he would break up with her. If he's going to be that crazy then it probably wouldn't be a good life for her.

Maybe it was the makeup, but Hedy Burress isn't really aging well; she's not even 35 yet. I used to watch Boston Common just for her.
Old 02-16-08, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the show except for the fantasy scenes. You would think he would catch on and stop diving under desks. Although there wasn't a musical/dance number on the last episode, they nearly ruin the show for me. This could have been a great drama and what we get is a fluff show.

The acupuncturist part is contrived and just there to patch up holes in the plot. Victor Garber is wasted here as a one dimensional stoic patriarch. I really like Natasha Henstridge's role. She approaches being a bitch, but never actually gets there. JLM has always been a sincere and natural actor. He is in nearly every scene and he makes the show watchable.

The writing is a little uneven. Berlanti sentimentality is there, but the silliness of the flash backs often takes some of the impact away. After three episodes, we still do not know much about any other character but Eli. Unfortunately, that makes this a hit or miss drama hinging on JLM performance.

Last edited by Ayre; 02-16-08 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-16-08, 04:07 PM
Banned

Anyone think Miller sorta looks and sounds like Bruce Campbell?
Old 02-16-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by John Slider
You all make me laugh. It was fun & creative, I was thoroughly entertained, and most importantly I ENJOYED it. I will tune in for the next episode.
Originally Posted by Sparrow
I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode and like the fact that it's a little bit like Ally McBeal. Johnny Lee Miller is easy on the eyes and the episode has me looking forward to this week's episode. I'll keep tuning in.
Agreed on both counts. I'm surprised they have to put disclaimers on this kind of a show... if they think this was something to be "concerned" about, they must REALLY be worried about people watching ER and House with the same kind of "hey, I can get REAL medical advice from this show" devotion!

I thought of Ally McBeal when I saw the first commercial, and thought this show works in the "visions" with humor. I'll keep watching.
Old 02-16-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I didn't see that twist coming and felt for Eli at the end of the episode.
Really? I expected that twist ever since she almost gave up when he was first diagnosed. He has a point, but then again, so does she.
Old 02-16-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm enjoying this show. Eli is a likeable guy and I like his relationships with his friends. The aneurism (sp) moments are interesting though I could do without another show set in a law office and courtrooms.
Old 02-16-08, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by shoppingbear
Really? I expected that twist ever since she almost gave up when he was first diagnosed. He has a point, but then again, so does she.
The twist I was referring to was the alleged abuse.

I figured he'd break off his engagement (if not the entire relationship) within a few eps.
Old 02-28-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't believe they worked in a quick "Veronica Mars" reference in a scene featuring Julie Gonzalo.

Last edited by Patman; 02-28-08 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-28-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Some big George Michael fans over there..