Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV convensions/cliches that annoy you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Fat husband is married to a hot chick that he could never get in real life.
Old 12-12-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
Saturday Night Live has been doing this for like 5 years. Half way from the commercial break, they show like a 5 second clip of the next set. Oh how do I hate that. I don't want to know what skit on is next. Plus, it throws me off when I am fast forwarding through the commercials.
How do they do that? Granted the show has a small delay, but for the most part it is LIVE (see the whole Ashlee Simpson debacle). How are they showing what is coming up if it hasn't happened yet?

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I hate it when reality shows repeat about 30 seconds to a minute of what already happened before the commercial break, when they come come back from the break.
I think the worst offender with this is The Surreal Life. Between what they show you is about to happen before and after each commercial break and what's coming up in next week's installment, there's only ever like 20 minutes of new footage per hour-long episode!
Old 12-12-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I would guess the SNL previews are from dress rehearsal skits.
Old 12-12-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
How do they do that? Granted the show has a small delay, but for the most part it is LIVE (see the whole Ashlee Simpson debacle). How are they showing what is coming up if it hasn't happened yet?
SNL comes back from commerical and shows the next set being set up/people getting into position. it doesn't actually show you the sketch/skit.
Old 12-12-07, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
funny... I thought it was F-R-I-C-K-I-N'

Not according to spelling and grammer check.
Old 12-12-07, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a little thing I noticed...

Two people are at some place and some thing happens. Then next scene is back at their house and shows said people walking in the door. So realistically some time has passed for them to travel home, but they talk like the thing JUST HAPPENED, as if nothing was said for the entire trip home. Everyone knows the conversation about whatever the thing was would have taken place in the car or at least began there. But it's like the whole conversation just starts when they walk in the door. King of Queens did this a lot that I noticed.
Old 12-13-07, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really a convention, but I hate empty coffee cups and when peole are walking somewhere, get interupted and then walk away the way they came.
Old 12-13-07, 06:09 AM

I hate the convention that characters will keep secrets, or fail to reveal important facts, even when doing so is stupid. Lost is the quintessential example. Not telling the girlfriend about the devil on Reaper is really annoying too.
Old 12-13-07, 08:25 AM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
In real life, when we see someone taking prescribed medication we don't give it a second thought, yet when it happens on a TV show, the other character always asks about it and acts like the character taking it has an addiction.
Old 12-13-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate how they use the passage of time unrealistically to emphasize something else. CSI:NY did this "perfectly" last night. The three of them walk into a Warehouse during broad daylight. They find it's filled with fireworks, and when they encounter the "bad guys" the fireworks get lit. They all run out and it's the middle of the night and you can see all the fireworks shooting off in the darkness. Um, it was daytime not FIVE MINUTES BEFORE!
Old 12-13-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate it when someone is awakened by a phone call in the middle of the night. They root around to turn on the bedside lamp FIRST, then they answer the phone. Bugs me every time I see it. Wouldn't your first instinct be to answer the ringing phone, then turn on the light? Do you really need perfect lighting to reach over and grab the handset?
Old 12-13-07, 09:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I hate it when someone is awakened by a phone call in the middle of the night. They root around to turn on the bedside lamp FIRST, then they answer the phone. Bugs me every time I see it. Wouldn't your first instinct be to answer the ringing phone, then turn on the light? Do you really need perfect lighting to reach over and grab the handset?
but how would you see the caller ID?
Old 12-13-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
One TV cliche that fucking annoys the crap out of me that's been used several times is........"A Life hangs in the balance."
Old 12-13-07, 09:48 AM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
but how would you see the caller ID?
Most phones that I've seen feature a back-lit caller ID display.
Old 12-13-07, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by starman9000
Not really a convention, but I hate empty coffee cups and when peole are walking somewhere, get interupted and then walk away the way they came.
It's not so bad when they use coffee mugs, but when they use the "on the go" cups, you can tell nothing is in them. On some of the crime dramas (Law & Order: CI as an ex.) they fill their cup up, but it looks awkward and I can see why they don't filler' up!

My problem with coffee on TV shows is that they never have their coffee the same way. On The King of Queens for example, at the beginning of the episode Carrie puts milk & sugar in her coffee. Later in the episode, she has her coffee black. Drives me nuts!
Old 12-13-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Most phones that I've seen feature a back-lit caller ID display.
Plus, if your phone is ringing at 3 am, it is usually some sort of emergency. And if you are half asleep, you just want the ringing to stop, so you quickly grab the phone.

The last thing I want is a bright light in my eyes when I am rudely awakened in the middle of the night.

My nature would be to grab the phone quickly and see what it is and then if I wanted to stay awake (like to go somewhere) I would turn on the light.

Everytime I see that on TV, I think they are only doing that for lighting purposes, and the lack of realism irks me.
Old 12-13-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nateman241
It's not so bad when they use coffee mugs, but when they use the "on the go" cups, you can tell nothing is in them.
Yep, Scrubs is terrible for using those empty paper cups.
Old 12-13-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm getting angry reading all of these, so I apologize if I repeat something someone else said.

Originally Posted by wergo
Reminded of how pissed off I was with the musical montage at the end of season four of 'The Wire', what with re-watching on DVD. For a show that's always been ultra-realistic and focusing on presenting events as they happen and letting the audience respond to then at will, it was an awkwardly manipulative change that seemed to only attempt to mimic what I've already grown tired of on shows like 'Grey's Anatomy' and 'House.'

1. montage over a musical number at the end of an episode to let the viewer know how to feel about what's just transpired.

And I can also do without showing some sort of alleged shocking cliffhanger right before the opening credits, only to have a "---- days earlier" subtitle to lead us into what what led up to it. 'Alias' practically lived on them, and they never once served any rational purpose. Heck, Even 'Angel' and 'Firefly' used the device (though, to be fair, 'Firefly' used it more for humorous purposes).

Also, I could die happy if I never again have to see a scene where the actors stand still and the camera spins around them for no reason other than to make the audience nauseous whilst (and at the same time) taking us out of the realism of the moment. Used more in films than in TV shows, nowadays, but Joss Whedon DID do it in the 'Buffy' finale. (heck, Kevin Smith was even PROUD of it in the commentary for 'Clerks II'!) TV copying bad ideas from films isn't good either.

What bugs you?

I have no problems with any of these when done right.

The wire never uses unsourced music, so when they do as in the music at the end of seasons two and four to recall everything and wrap it up, or in season 2 when they used "I Walk the Line" to show the investigation proceeding, it's all that much more effective.

As for the "___ Hours Earlier" schtick, you're right, some tv shows overuse it and for no reason. However, shows like West Wing and others of equal calibur use it to great effect.

And depending on the show, the bad-ass circling shot is fine. I don't think Buffy was meant to be a documentary.

All that being said, I hat that no one ever EVER says "goodbye", "talk to you later" or any other closing when on the phone in television or film. They just hang up. If I was having a conversation and someone made their point and hung up, I would curse them for dicks.

-Doc
Old 12-13-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought it was funny on Melrose Place how people never used the phone.

Like there would be a scene where someone storms in to Kyle's Restaurant/D&D/Jane's shop, etc. and say "I just came here to tell you blah blah blah".

I mean, who does that?
Old 12-13-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
The overheard 1/2 of a conversation that sets that particular character into a ridiculous series of events ala "Three's Company" and "Friends"
Dude, you've just about described all of Shakespeare's comedies here. The 1/2-conversation-overheard-by-someone-in-the-bushes trick is classic - literally.
Old 12-13-07, 01:44 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by dgmayor
I hate how they use the passage of time unrealistically to emphasize something else. CSI:NY did this "perfectly" last night. The three of them walk into a Warehouse during broad daylight. They find it's filled with fireworks, and when they encounter the "bad guys" the fireworks get lit. They all run out and it's the middle of the night and you can see all the fireworks shooting off in the darkness. Um, it was daytime not FIVE MINUTES BEFORE!
Unexpected total solar eclipse?
Old 12-13-07, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Cop or lawyer shows that spend the first 55 minutes showing the main characters going from crime scene to crime scene, witness to witness, only to have the murderer tearfully confess to everything with very little persuasion in the last 5 minutes.
My parents watch Murder She Wrote and sometimes these people confess with circumstantial evidence that probably wouldn't even warrant an arrest.

Also, hate the dragged out suspense in game shows/reality shows and have been known to stop watching many a show (1 vs 100) that continued to WASTE MY TIME.

The weigh-ins in the Biggest Loser are OK since you get to see the progress, but watching a race between two teams carrying a giant Sundae is just stupid. So I no longer watch BL.

It's not enough that almost 1/3 of an hour is spent on commercials, now they take over the bottom of the screen to advertise AD NAUSEUM the new shows. I no longer watch TBS or TNT for this very reason.

Like most, giant network ID icons that take up nearly 1/8 of the screen. Disney channel is the worst.

Local news that says the next story will always drastically change your life. Local news also always has this story that sounds great, is advertised every commercial break, airs in the last five minutes of the broadcast and IS ALWAYS A WASTE OF TIME.
Old 12-15-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Immediate dial tones when someone gets hung up on....while using a cell phone.
Old 12-15-07, 07:14 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I hate when people are sitting down having a meal.....and don't take a single bite of food.
Old 12-15-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This happens in movies too, but when there's a gun fight, someone can amazingly shoot 90 bullets out of a single pistol. Then when it eventually does run out of bullets, the guy looks at his gun like its broken or something, then throws it away in disgust.

Also, when we're introduced to a hobby or posession of a long time character (i.e. - his favorite car, a childhood toy, etc.) You just know by the end of that episode, whatever it is will be lost or destroyed.

Super computers that can blow up crystal clear images from even the crappiest of videos or pictures.

Last edited by CharlieK; 12-15-07 at 09:03 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.