Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV convensions/cliches that annoy you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate when they all sit around the table 4 to one side and leave one side completely empty for the camera angle.
Old 12-15-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
I hate when they all sit around the table 4 to one side and leave one side completely empty for the camera angle.
What would you propose? This is a necessity of television, in general, for these types of shots.
Old 12-15-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My big pet peeve is bilingual characters who will exclaim something in their native language, then immediately repeat it in English.

Angel in Dexter did this constantly throughout the first season, and it drove me nuts.
Old 12-15-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate it when people are sitting at the breakfast table and there is a large glass PITCHER full of milk on the table. Who bothers to put milk into a big pitcher just so you can pour it into your cereal? After you are done having breakfast, do they put the open pitcher back into the fridge or do they pour it back into the milk carton?
Old 12-16-07, 01:30 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
^^^ @ milk pitcher. I know EXACTLY what you mean.
Old 12-16-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the "we must show the actual product that is being used in full view" I've been watching early sopranos episodes again and this show is notorious for it. for instance, if a diet coke is being drank at the dinner table, we must see the logo in some way in every shot. It becomes somewhat annoying and distracting.
Old 12-16-07, 10:44 AM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
I hate how everyone drives a shiny new car.
Old 12-16-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Outside of Jeremy writing to his sister, did Sports Night ever use a narrator?
Not that I recall. My brother needs to come home for Christmas quicker so I can rewatch my DVDs.

I hate how the streets are always wet at night.
Old 12-16-07, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I hate it when people are sitting at the breakfast table and there is a large glass PITCHER full of milk on the table. Who bothers to put milk into a big pitcher just so you can pour it into your cereal? After you are done having breakfast, do they put the open pitcher back into the fridge or do they pour it back into the milk carton?

I can't remember which episode, but I think in was the first season of Mary Tyler Moore. Mary and Rhoda are talking and at first they are eating a meal and then they are drinking coffee. I don't remember if it switches back or not, but have rarely seen such obvious on a TV show.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 12-16-07 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-16-07, 02:51 PM

Long living rooms.

Watch your favorite sitcoms, most of the action takes place in a very long den that isn't very deep.
Ever meet anyone with a long living room?
Old 12-16-07, 07:07 PM

I hate when the answering machine picks up after only one ring. Who the hell sets it to go off so quick? Three rings, minimum.
Old 12-17-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Children (now adults) returning home only to find their room exactly as it was when they left.

Parents never turn it into a den or something?
Old 12-17-07, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Children (now adults) returning home only to find their room exactly as it was when they left.

Parents never turn it into a den or something?
My parents turned my room into an office just a year after I moved out.
Old 12-17-07, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I have to that say I'm completely sick of the moron husband with the impossibly attractive, ****y wife sitcom.

Agreed.
Old 12-17-07, 06:26 AM

I hate how characters deal with guns. They will frequently

1) abandon their (expensive) weapon if it's out of bullets
2) knock out the bad guys and not take their weapons and ammo
Old 12-18-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't look at all the responses so sorry if this has been mentioned already but I hate it when a character will show up for literally a minute and then leave.

Seinfeld did this all the time. I'm not that familiar with New York but for a while George lived in Queens, which I assume is a long ways from Jerry's apartment on West 81st Street. Anyway, many times he would come over to Jerry's apartment, get buzzed up and something would happen to him and he would leave after a minute or two. Who travels that far to see a buddy and then leaves after a minute? Elaine would do the same thing. I don't think I ever knew exactly where she lived but she would always come over to Jerry's just for a second or she'd bring some boyfriend over and she'd get upset or something and leave right away. A question for you New York people. How long would it take George to get from Queens to Jerry's apartment?

Another thing that bugs me is when a character goes into a bar and orders a drink and either takes one sip or doesn't even touch it. Same when they're offered a drink at somebody's house. Fraiser used to do that all the time on Cheers. He'd walk into the bar, take his coat off, sit at the bar, order a drink and then immediately leave.
Old 12-18-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Another thing that bugs me is when a character goes into a bar and orders a drink and either takes one sip or doesn't even touch it. Same when they're offered a drink at somebody's house.
I find that very annoying as well. Somebody comes over, the host asks if the guest wants a drink, the guest says "yes", and once the coffee (for ex.) is given, they hold the cup (like they're going to take a sip), then after a second or two they put it down.

Also, when the host is seen making the coffee, he/she always puts so little into the cup, and sometimes so much milk it's not even funny. They also spill a lot, as well.