Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why No Bones Discussion?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Why No Bones Discussion?

Old 11-28-07, 03:42 PM
  #1  
Political Exile
Thread Starter
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 15,066
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Why No Bones Discussion?

I have been watching from the beginning, and I find it great that the show has developed so well. I remember being annoyed with the side characters, and with Bones herself, but I liked the premise so I stuck with it. Bones as a character is much more likeable, and so are all the supporting cast. It's a very fun show, and I like the running plot line they have going on, although I missed some episodes somewhere, and am a little lost on it.

Is everyone else still watching and enjoying, or has everyone jumped ship?
Old 11-28-07, 04:17 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 28,185
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I watched a random episode of this last week, and it just didn't keep my interest. I'm not big into cop shows or stuff like CSI anyway, but I found it really confusing keeping track of what was going on. I guess it doesn't help that it wasn't a newbie-friendly episode, since I had no clue what was going on with Bones's fugitive family and who the Gourmagand or whatever was. It also didn't seem like the story was resolved in that episode, and the next episode was totally unrelated.

Would it help if I watched it from the start?
Old 11-28-07, 04:19 PM
  #3  
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,001
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally, I've noticed procedural shows don't get episode by episode threads in DVDTalk (expect for a few exceptions). I assume that since they're mostly self-contained, there just isn't all that much to talk about.

Personally, I'm still watching and enjoying it. I'm bummed that they're planning to move it to Friday, since it would probably kill it. Hopefully they'll reconsider (like they've done with the other two times they've planned to move it there).

Originally Posted by fujishig
I watched a random episode of this last week, and it just didn't keep my interest. I'm not big into cop shows or stuff like CSI anyway, but I found it really confusing keeping track of what was going on. I guess it doesn't help that it wasn't a newbie-friendly episode, since I had no clue what was going on with Bones's fugitive family and who the Gourmagand or whatever was. It also didn't seem like the story was resolved in that episode, and the next episode was totally unrelated.

Would it help if I watched it from the start?
You probably hit upon one of the worst possible episodes to start with; the show is 80% self-contained stories, with the "Gorurmagand" plot line this season and Bones' family making up the other 20%. I'd try again with another episode without either plot line as part of the description.

Last edited by sb5; 11-28-07 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 04:54 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 9,922
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the trick to Bones is that it's audience is mainly House viewers who don't like NCIS & DWTS so they just keep the channel on while waiting House.
Old 11-28-07, 05:03 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
I think the trick to Bones is that it's audience is mainly House viewers who don't like NCIS & DWTS so they just keep the channel on while waiting House.
That makes NO sense. You're saying people turn on FOX an hour early and just happen to leave it on to catch House?

Originally Posted by sb5
Personally, I'm still watching and enjoying it. I'm bummed that they're planning to move it to Friday, since it would probably kill it. Hopefully they'll reconsider (like they've done with the other two times they've planned to move it there).
I enjoy it too and have watched since the start as a Boreanaz fan. The show has definitely tightened up and gotten better (especially with the addition of Dr. Camille Saroyan). I doubt the Friday move will kill it since it wouldn't otherwise be able to air an entire season with American Idol sucking up almost 50% of FOX's primetime schedule January through May.
Old 11-28-07, 05:11 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Orbi-Wan Techno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 3,034
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bones is, hands down, our absolute favorite "must see while it's on." This past summer we started it on DVD with season 1 ep 1, and watched two seasons all the way through. This show has more character chemistry than any other show we watch, with House and NCIS coming in second and third.
Old 11-28-07, 05:14 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,699
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really enjoy the one two punch of Bones and House. Watch it every week. Course I also watch NCIS and Unit each week. As far as Bones goes, it just doesnt seem to have that watercooler feel to it. I dont really feel the need to call up a friend and say "oh my god. Did you see Bones last night?" I do think that gormigan is one of the series regulars though.
Old 11-28-07, 08:01 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 57,072
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I too am a Bones lover. One of the strengths of the show is the amazing chemistry between Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz. I also think the show has a very solid supporting cast. The only reason FOX is moving what will essentially be Bones re-runs to Friday's is because they are launching some BS reality game show called "Moment of Truth." opposite American Idol. They also appear to be using Bones as a lead-in to "New Amersterdam" which IMO is as good as cancelled. If Bones manages to get back into production, I cannot see them keeping new episodes on Friday's.
Old 11-28-07, 11:13 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
dgmayor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 2,036
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bones is one of the few shows that I watch that the Wife watches with me. She hates anything gory and disgusting, but she deals with it for this one. We both agree that the chemistry of all the characters is really what makes this show, besides the obvious tension between Bones and Booth, or as she says, the new Scully and Mulder .
Old 11-29-07, 12:59 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,763
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I love the show, and think it is one of the best on TV. I really like how the characters interact with one another. There is some great TV here IMHO...
Old 11-29-07, 01:28 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 4,377
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great show (and nice Scully and Mulder analogy). I'm not a crime drama person at all, so this show is something of an anomoly for me. I think the character interactions are really what keep me drawn in. Great chemistry in this show, between a lot of the characters.





King of the lab!
Old 11-29-07, 05:47 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
RoboDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A far green country
Posts: 5,960
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgmayor
We both agree that the chemistry of all the characters is really what makes this show, besides the obvious tension between Bones and Booth, or as she says, the new Scully and Mulder .
Bingo! We've been watching the show since day one. What got us interested was David Boreanaz as the lead, since I've been a big Angel fan for a long time. It did take a little while for the show to hit its stride, but once it did, it has been one of very few shows on our must-see list. The stories are always interesting, though probably not the most compelling on television, but the characters and their relationships are completely captivating.
Old 11-29-07, 05:54 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
TheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: City Of Orange, CA
Posts: 8,069
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
People talk in the threads when somebody starts them, the problem is that nobody seems to want to start the threads.
Old 11-29-07, 05:55 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,586
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
We've been watching the show since day one. What got us interested was David Boreanaz as the lead, since I've been a big Angel fan for a long time.
Me too. I'll watch anything and everything he's in, and ANGEL will always be my all-time favorite show and character.
Old 11-30-07, 12:10 AM
  #15  
Political Exile
Thread Starter
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 15,066
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe it would be better to keep this discussion thread going if no one wants to start threads. I watched the repeat airing of the pirate treasure, and I enjoyed that as well. I really want to go back and watch the episode about the people living underground. I was a little out of it, but I remember being fascinated by it.
Old 11-30-07, 12:32 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,353
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by starseed1981
I think the trick to Bones is that it's audience is mainly House viewers who don't like NCIS & DWTS so they just keep the channel on while waiting House.
I don't agree with that at all, since for one, I'm fairly certain that this is the first year they've aired back to back, and secondly, I don't watch House at all.

I like Bones quite a bit. True it did take a a few episodes to really find it's footing in the first season - but once it hit it's groove, it's been solid, and improved since then. As other have said, there's a lot of great chemistry between all the cast members. Count me, also, among those who are glad that David Boreanaz found another good post Angel gig.
Old 11-30-07, 01:18 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,586
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The show is so much fun, yet very intense, emotional and scary when it needs to be. Nothing really feels out of place when it shifts like that, and everyone on the show is genuinely interesting. Having Ryan O'Neal and now recently John Francis Daley on the show are great additions. That good ol' fashioned fist fight between O'Neal and Boreanaz last season was classic.
Old 11-30-07, 09:58 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I don't agree with that at all, since for one, I'm fairly certain that this is the first year they've aired back to back, and secondly, I don't watch House at all.
You are partially correct. It premiered on Tuesday nights but was moved to Wednesdays in January (to make room in the 8pm slot for American Idol ) and stayed on Wednesday through Season 2. It was moved back to Tuesday again this season.
Old 11-30-07, 01:01 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 15,556
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night's ep was one of the best I've seen.
Old 11-30-07, 04:14 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 779
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The attorney general lady cracks me up.

I agree this show took a few episodes in the beginning to catch on, but it's been great ever since.
Old 11-30-07, 05:32 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,699
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
I too am a Bones lover. One of the strengths of the show is the amazing chemistry between Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz. I also think the show has a very solid supporting cast. The only reason FOX is moving what will essentially be Bones re-runs to Friday's is because they are launching some BS reality game show called "Moment of Truth." opposite American Idol. They also appear to be using Bones as a lead-in to "New Amersterdam" which IMO is as good as cancelled. If Bones manages to get back into production, I cannot see them keeping new episodes on Friday's.
Not really sure what you are trying to say here. Doesn't fox air American Idol? So how can they air something opposite it? I am curious to see what this new show is that is displacing bones.
Old 11-30-07, 07:42 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Nth Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,405
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like Bones although I missed the entire second season. I caught Season One on DVD and am watching this current season as it airs. It looks like I missed a bunch of stuff that happened in the second season.
Old 11-30-07, 10:55 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 57,072
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jjcool
Not really sure what you are trying to say here. Doesn't fox air American Idol? So how can they air something opposite it? I am curious to see what this new show is that is displacing bones.
Sorry, bad wording. This reality show called "Moment of Truth" is airing in Bones old timeslot of Wednesday's at 8pm before Idol which is at 9pm.

Also, by the time Bones shifts timeslots and moves to Friday's, it should be out of fresh episodes and into re-runs.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-30-07 at 10:57 PM.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.