Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

FOX producing Family Guy episodes, without Seth MacFarlane.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-14-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should be...interesting. Maybe it's wrong, but the first thing I thought of were the eventual DVD commentaries.

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Fox is producing fresh episodes of its animated comedy "Family Guy" without the participation of its striking creator Seth MacFarlane, who does many of the main voices, sources said.

The last episode completed before the Writers Guild of America strike began November 5 aired Sunday. Fox and sibling studio 20th Century Fox TV had the choice of going into reruns or continuing the show without MacFarlane, whose outspoken defiance of his employers has made him a cause celebre for striking writers.

After a large writers rally outside the Fox lot on Friday, where he was one of the speakers, MacFarlane said the studio could proceed without him, though he hoped it would not.

20th TV had no comment on the matter Tuesday but confirmed that it remains in production on new episodes. The first episode finished without MacFarlane's blessing has been delivered to Fox. Sources said it is one of three very close to completion, with others in various stages of production.

In addition to executive-producing the show, MacFarlane voices the characters of Peter, Brian and Stewis Griffin, the male members of the hapless Rhode Island family at the core of the domestic satire.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Old 11-14-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So are Peter, Brian and Stewie going to be mute or totally absent from those episodes?
Old 11-14-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's going to be like when Jim Henson died. New people were brought in and it was never the same again.
Old 11-14-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome. I'll have to tune into this one out of curiosity. Is it going to air this Sunday?
Old 11-14-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, this should certainly be the death of the show. But when FG returned to the air, I thought they had a guaranteed 3-year deal. So, how do they continue making episodes when the writers are on strike?
Old 11-14-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cool maybe it will actually be funny now.
Old 11-14-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL... this will be the *perfect* way to end the show. Just a total, freaking trainwreck. It'll be the stuff of legend in Internet forums until the end of time. Bring it on, I say.
Old 11-14-07, 10:43 AM

I've got an exclusive pic of the new writing team
Old 11-14-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It'll probably be exactly like the Muppet Show parody segment they had, with the "wrong-sounding muppets".
Old 11-14-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8gBZGO9UI1o&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8gBZGO9UI1o&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 11-14-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Awesome. I'll have to tune into this one out of curiosity. Is it going to air this Sunday?
Family Guy episodes take 9 months to make. It won't be airing until next year sometime.
Old 11-14-07, 12:00 PM

MacFarlane voices the characters of Peter, Brian and Stewis Griffin, the male members of the hapless Rhode Island family at the core of the domestic satire.
Is this true?

This guy is a voice genius then.

Chris
Old 11-14-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
Family Guy episodes take 9 months to make. It won't be airing until next year sometime.
Is this accurate?

How does it take 9 months to do 20 minutes worth of crappy animation??
Old 11-14-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, MacFarlane is the voice of Peter, Brian, Stewie, Quagmire, the male newscaster and some others I'm probably forgetting (Cleveland?).

He's pretty crucial to the show, hard to have it without him.
Old 11-14-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
OK, so I'm confused. If the episodes take nine months to produce, and the last episode completed before the strike just aired, what have they been working on for the past nine months? Just that one episode? Surely there must be other episodes already in varying stages of production.
Old 11-14-07, 12:25 PM

Wow, according to Wikipedia:

He does the voices in his shows which include: Peter Griffin, Brian Griffin, Stewie Griffin, Tom Tucker the Anchorman, Glenn Quagmire, Stan Smith and Roger the Alien
Quagmire is pretty impressive with his giggity giggity voice.

And now armed with this information, this would be the stupidest thing that Fox has ever done, in a long list of stupid things.

The only thing they could do is hire other voice actors to do a poor imitation of what Seth does.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 11-14-07 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Toad
Is this accurate?

How does it take 9 months to do 20 minutes worth of crappy animation??
I'm quoting Seth McFarlane. When he was asked what their response to South Park would be when South Park did their episode bashing Family Guy, Seth McFarlane stated that Trey and Matt were in a much better position to respond to things, because they make episodes in 1-2 weeks (which they do) , where as the Family guy process takes 9 months from start-to-finish of an episode. The Simpsons is the same way.
Old 11-14-07, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
LOL... this will be the *perfect* way to end the show. Just a total, freaking trainwreck. It'll be the stuff of legend in Internet forums until the end of time. Bring it on, I say.
I can’t wait, I'll definitely be taking part in the festivities.
Old 11-14-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Isn't Alex Borstein also one of the writers for the show? I guess that means Lois and Tricia Takanawa will be mute as well.
Old 11-14-07, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder if Seth Green (who voices Chris) will also bow out because he's apparently close friends with McFarlane.

this would be a horrible decision, and like someone said above, a complete trainwreck.
Old 11-14-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think McFarlane may have been trying to be funny about the 9 month thing. No way in hell it takes 9 months to produce 20 minutes of Family Guy.
Old 11-14-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
I think McFarlane may have been trying to be funny about the 9 month thing. No way in hell it takes 9 months to produce 20 minutes of Family Guy.
Ok well, you're wrong I've previously heard the Simpson's creators say the same thing (9 months) on their commentaries on the Simpsons DVDs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QDUuKo1sWmo

Also, I googled "Family Guy Nine Months", and found a Family Guy blog from someone who works on the show. At the bottom, bolded part of the blog, he mentioned a 9 month period of production.

----------------------
May 20, 2005
Even More useless informtaion about musical numbers...

“Shipoopi” is the biggest and most elaborate number we have ever done. The song has a cast of thousands and a 45 second dance break! That doesn’t sound like a lot of time until you have to fill it with 24 drawings per second and dancing scenes are not like dialogue scenes, you have to practically animate it in order for them to get it right oversees. I stole dance moves from “Music Man” and “Singin’ in the Rain” and “That’s Entertainment” I imported the movies into Quicktime and went through them frame by frame for reference. When it finally airs, you will see Peter doing steps from Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly, Fred Estaire and others.

I think it turned out great so watch for it, but I believe it won’t air till fifth season. Just like a baby, these shows take about nine months.

Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by Seantn; 11-14-07 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe Fox is going to use archived voice recordings of those members of the cast involved in the strike. I mean, they have 100 episodes worth plus whatever deleted scenes that have been recorded. I'm sure it'll be a hodge-podge of voice-acting.
Old 11-14-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whatever it is, it's more than a few weeks. This is traditional animation, which isn't exactly quick. It sounds like the voices for these episodes are already finished and the "production" is finishing the animation to go with it.
Old 11-14-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It isn't like they are making completely new episodes without McFarlane... just continuing production on episodes. I'm sure the first few will be complete with his voices... but if the strike goes too long, then they might have to start getting a new voice actor.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.