Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dexter - "That Night, a Forest Grew" - 11/11/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter - "That Night, a Forest Grew" - 11/11/07

Old 11-11-07, 02:00 PM
  #1  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,790
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dexter - "That Night, a Forest Grew" - 11/11/07

"That Night, a Forest Grew"
Spoiler:
A manifest throws the task force into chaos; Lila's influence takes its toll on Dexter's personal life.
Old 11-11-07, 03:24 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,996
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally got caught up. Not really liking the whole NA aspect of the show (including Lila), but they did a good job of mixing things up by having Dex sleep with her. Annoying character, but she's got a sick body and nice tits.
Old 11-11-07, 11:09 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 852
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good episode. This season has really started to pick up some steam the past few episodes.

Maybe I just didn't catch on, but can anyone explain the significance of the lightbulb at the end ?
Old 11-11-07, 11:13 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 17,252
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My thought was that Dexter was realizing how Lila manipulates people.
Old 11-11-07, 11:14 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Drop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 2,037
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, thankfully, this is the beginning of the end for Lila.

Dexter may have screwed himself over by writing that manifesto.

Doakes will meet a bad end.

This show always keeps you guessing how things will end up, though, so anything can happen. I just hope Dex screws his head back on.
Old 11-12-07, 12:30 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 731
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of these story lines are silly...well, I suppose REALLY silly so how in the hell does the show make them seem so realistic? It really is a testament to the actors, directors and especially writers. I think this season, unlike last season where viewers knew who the Ice Truck was well before the season finale, will reveal some pretty good surprises! Sometimes I think Doakes may try and kill Dexter and get pegged at the Butcher, other times I think Lilla will take the fall and still other times I think Doakes (I don't know why but it would give a good reason for Dexter to kill him) or Dexter or heck, maybe even Rita will take care of the problem that has become Lila.

I'm not sure who, when or where but I do think that before this season is over Dexter will kill someone that has become a main character - maybe he will enjoy it or maybe it will cause him pain and force him back into the loving arms of the DARK PASSENGER! Honestly, I have no idea and even I am wrong I couldn't care. I just enjoy watching the show and am along for the ride as long as they take it. As long as they don't end the series while performing Macbeth, I'm happy.

Lundy's character is fleshed out well - will he have a hand in what happens or will he remain a secondary character within the Debra storyline?

At first I thought that the Debra/Lundy thing was just her wanting to have a father figure in her life and I still think that there is something to that. I wasn't too keen on seeing them together but, like I said, the writing, music, the whole production is making it seem realistic and within the boundaries of how I think the characters are.

Damn, I need to get more of my real friends watching this show.

Last edited by beesonosu; 11-12-07 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-12-07, 01:58 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,208
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beesonosu
Some of these story lines are silly...well, I suppose REALLY silly so how in the hell does the show make them seem so realistic? It really is a testament to the actors, directors and especially writers. I think this season, unlike last season where viewers knew who the Ice Truck was well before the season finale, will reveal some pretty good surprises! Sometimes I think Doakes may try and kill Dexter and get pegged at the Butcher, other times I think Lilla will take the fall and still other times I think Doakes (I don't know why but it would give a good reason for Dexter to kill him) or Dexter or heck, maybe even Rita will take care of the problem that has become Lila.
Doakes taking the fall as the Butcher is something that had not occurred to me, but that seems likely. But it doesn't seem to me that the Zen Master would pin the crimes on the wrong dude.

I think Lundy is way, way too "Twin Peaks," incidentally.

I think Lila is a storyline that is going to be wrapped up in the finale. She's going to die. Her display at the end of tonight's episode really set up that she has to go, and there's only one way out on "Dexter." Likely as not, Dexter will kill her for some reason.

Or Deborah ends up killing her, and Lila gets pinned as the Bay Harbor Butcher, which would be horrible.

If I were writing it, I'd have Rita's kids kill her. Didn't they set this up, with them killing animals or something?
Old 11-12-07, 03:41 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
If I were writing it, I'd have Rita's kids kill her. Didn't they set this up, with them killing animals or something?
I thnik that's from the 2nd book, I don't think the series addresses that. I could be wrong because some of the story lines have mixed in my head.

And I thought the same thing (based on the kids in the books, that is).
Old 11-12-07, 12:31 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: waiting for forum.dvdtalk.com ...
Posts: 2,755
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree - lila and maybe doakes will meet messy, wrapped-in-cellophane endings. if doakes does not end up in a secluded, plastic-wrapped room in the near future, i also think that dexter could try to set doakes up as the bay harbor butcher. lila will fall under "the code of harry" when she poses a threat to rita and her children. perhaps we will find out more about her past - she seems rather enthralled with flame and it is possible her murder of her dealing boyfriend was not the only murder committed by arson.
Old 11-12-07, 01:53 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 731
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kms_md
perhaps we will find out more about her past - she seems rather enthralled with flame and it is possible her murder of her dealing boyfriend was not the only murder committed by arson.
Old 11-12-07, 02:17 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 17,252
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beesonosu
I think Doakes may try and kill Dexter and get pegged at the Butcher
That is what I've been thinking for a while. The other possibility to me was that Deb will find out the truth and somehow cover for Dexter.

I don't think Dexter kills Lila though. It would be way too traceable back to him if she happened to disappear while she was dating Dexter.
Old 11-12-07, 02:26 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Drop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 2,037
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I don't think Dexter kills Lila though. It would be way too traceable back to him if she happened to disappear while she was dating Dexter.
Well, if Lila is a killer, and Dexter is not found out to be the Butcher, then it could just be the Butcher at work. Completely unrelated to Dex. Plus she is a foreigner, who knows the records they have of her in America, and I don't think anyone is going to care if she disappears. There are plenty of ways for Dex to get out of it.

By the way, I really do not like the Lundy and Deb relationship. Lundy should be more professional and Deb has daddy issues, their relationship is not only doomed but forced. Deb will have to decide between her work and family. I think in a mirror to last year she will find out Dex is the BHB, like Rudy as the ITK.
Old 11-12-07, 02:37 PM
  #13  
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,001
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
Well, if Lila is a killer, and Dexter is not found out to be the Butcher, then it could just be the Butcher at work. Completely unrelated to Dex.
Or, if the Bay Harbor Butcher killings do end up getting blamed on Doakes (which, like a lot of people here, I think is very likely), Lila's murder could be seen as the ultimate conclusion to his erratic, increasingly violent behavior towards Dexter.
Old 11-12-07, 03:17 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dex setting up Doakes...Maria would have been proud.

Lila not only pocketed the money from the sale, but also draws Dexter in more closely, even though the lightbulb did go off in his head about the situation.

Rita never did consider how to excise Dexter out of her children's lives when she caved into her mom's way of thinking.

Deb and Lundy sitting on a bench...aww...
Old 11-12-07, 03:47 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mwbmis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Lincoln
Posts: 5,636
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't see Lundy believing that Doakes was the BHB. Could Doakes be pegged as an avenging serial killer? Sure, but not as a methodical one. He's too much of a powder keg of rage.

This is where we are truly starting to see the negative impact of Lila's influence on Dexter. He's taking too many chances and making real enemies. We saw this week why Rita and the kids were so much better for him; while he needs to kill with them they do humanize him. Lila almost makes him a bad person who ironically doesn't feel the need to kill.

Glad to see Rita stand up to her Mom. I like Rita.
Old 11-12-07, 03:57 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 14,020
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwbmis
I can't see Lundy believing that Doakes was the BHB. Could Doakes be pegged as an avenging serial killer? Sure, but not as a methodical one. He's too much of a powder keg of rage.
Doakes has killed two murderers in the last couple of months, and he was laying the screws to the other guy who he thought was the murderer.
Old 11-12-07, 04:19 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 158
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
I think in a mirror to last year she will find out Dex is the BHB, like Rudy as the ITK.


Completely agree.

She didn't get that Rudy was the ITK because she's so used to the wayt Dexter is. My guess is that this season will end with a cliffhanger, with Deb having to choose between the Law and Family.
Old 11-12-07, 04:28 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mwbmis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Lincoln
Posts: 5,636
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by movieking
Doakes has killed two murderers in the last couple of months, and he was laying the screws to the other guy who he thought was the murderer.
But the BHB murders don't match his personality or his M.O. They are two planned and "neat".
Old 11-12-07, 04:30 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,501
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many episodes are left this season?
Old 11-12-07, 04:32 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,291
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My BIG problem with this season is that Dexter would have immediately become a PRIME suspect in the case.

1: It was obvious it was someone in law enforcement. They acknowledged that last night.

2: They know that the killer docks his boat at one of the three harbors.

Cross reference that and you get a fairly short list of candidates in the judicial ranks and police force.

Then:

3: Killer is very meticulous and organized

4. Killer is low key, unlikely to want to draw attention to himself

5. Killer knows a LOT about forensic procedures and evidence

This would, at this point, leave Dexter and about 10 others MAX as prime candidates in this case.

Then add:

6. Doakes thinks Dexter is creepy and hiding something big

7. Background check into Dexter uncovering his past

It just would not take that long for Dexter to be found out. Still I enjoy the ride though.
Old 11-12-07, 06:54 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 12,555
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It was obvious that they would eventually look to law enforcement to find the BHB. However, I don't understand how they didn't think of that sooner. One guy was brought in for questioning for being the BHB, yet the real BHB knew that and killed him. Didn't Lundy and the rest wonder how someone outside law enforcement knew about this guy being questioned? Did I miss something here?

Also, I don't think Doakes could be passed off as the BHB. His character is too far removed from being a methodical serial killer. Doakes' personality leans more towards someone who blow up and go on a shooting spree than it would be someone who methodically kills people and performs percise disection of their bodies.

Lila also doesn't fit the profile of the BHB. For one thing, the BHB would have to be much stronger physically than Lila is to be able to kindap these people and drag them out to some spot.

I still think Doakes will be killed off right before finding out the truth about Dexter - but it won't be at the hands of Dexter.
Old 11-12-07, 06:57 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Drop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 2,037
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
johnnysd, that certainly makes sense, but them being of Law enforcement background doesn't mean they currently are. Besides most of the cops had their boats in that dock. They've checked that dock out for suspicious behavior and Dex didn't come up, thanks to the erasing.

They can't check Dex's past because it's been destroyed.

Has it been proven that the killer knows a lot about forensic procedures and evidence? I thought it was just police procedure in general, which any cop could know.

Doakes is untrustable.

While Dexter can be low-key, he has been drawing a lot of attention lately.

The only thing they really have is the OCD element, which I'm sure Lundy has already observed.

This all seems obvious to us, because we see just about everything Dex does, the police don't. They know the charming, witty, and helpful Dexter.

It's been mentioned that Lundy cracked the DC Sniper case, about a black man. Does anyone think that will play into making Doakes a suspect?
Old 11-13-07, 07:34 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,033
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lila will kill Doakes, because he will uncover Dexter - this in turn, will make Dexter kill Lila, because he'll realize that she has killed more than just her boyfriend and how harmful she can be.

I'm calling it.
Old 11-13-07, 11:15 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: waiting for forum.dvdtalk.com ...
Posts: 2,755
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Lila will kill Doakes, because he will uncover Dexter - this in turn, will make Dexter kill Lila, because he'll realize that she has killed more than just her boyfriend and how harmful she can be.

I'm calling it.
well done. will lila burn doakes' house down?
Old 11-13-07, 11:29 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,208
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coral
It was obvious that they would eventually look to law enforcement to find the BHB. However, I don't understand how they didn't think of that sooner. One guy was brought in for questioning for being the BHB, yet the real BHB knew that and killed him. Didn't Lundy and the rest wonder how someone outside law enforcement knew about this guy being questioned? Did I miss something here?

Also, I don't think Doakes could be passed off as the BHB. His character is too far removed from being a methodical serial killer. Doakes' personality leans more towards someone who blow up and go on a shooting spree than it would be someone who methodically kills people and performs percise disection of their bodies.
They announced that they were looking for that guy at a press conference and he turned himself in. His face was all over television.

I think suspicion is probably going to fall on Doakes, but Lundy is going to know he's not the dude. I kind of like that Dexter's plan to fool them and throw them off the trail backfired on him, and they're definitely establishing Lundy as a super-genius detective (in contrast to the M. Laguerta/J. Doakes theory of "Here's a body, and here's the first dude we found when we showed up. Case closed.")

I wonder if Dexter will have to kill Lundy. I think I would like that. Our psychopath should do something that makes us uncomfortable once in a while.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.