Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Journeyman--"Double Down"--11/5/07

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
Also, maybe I'm just getting to be a big pussy as I get older or I love the song that much but the whole scene at the end set to Lucky Man by the Verve was great

I've never heard that song before, but it really got to me. I downloaded it about five minutes after I watched the episode. That being said, I thought this was a weak episode, rich in plot holes, even with that emotional scene.
Old 11-08-07, 12:52 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
And since no one but das seemed to get it - Livia is gone. We have been watching her "mission" for the past 7 episodes. While Dan is jumping around in time, she is also jumping with him to coax him and correct what she sees as needing repair. So at the end of the episode once his timeline is ironed out correctly so that Katie and he end up together, she leaves. She said goodbye because she has completed her time travel task with Dan's timeline.
Why are you guys so convinced time-travelling Livia is done? I think it's pretty clear that in this episode, her mission was to help 2007 Dan set his own timeline right in 2000. But her mission in every episode has been to help time-travelling 2007 Dan. And in one episode, she told 2007 Dan that she used to time travel before she even met Dan, so her time-travelling is clearly not linked just to Dan. I just assumed that she vanished at the end of this episode because her mission of the moment -- helping 2007 Dan help 2000 Dan start a relationship with 2000 Katie -- was done, but that she'll be back next week to help 2007 Dan on whatever his next mission may be.
Old 11-08-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Yeah I don't understand why everyone here is assuming Livia is out of the picture. She'll return to help Dan again next week.
Old 11-08-07, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Cardiff Giant]Unless I misunderstood it, I liked how the whole reason Katie was in Dan's apartment when he woke up that day in the past was because of future Dan. That thing he could never explain (how she got in the apartment) wasn't just because he was too drunk to remember but because his, if i can borrow a South Park term, future self made it happen. At least in the "new" present it is.
QUOTE]

He just said he was too drunk to remember, and it turned out to be the newsanchor friend (also at the poker game) had called Katie to come get Dan, just as it was shown in this episode. Everything happened the same as it had in the originally, with 2007 Dan standing in for the passed out 2000 Dan.
Old 11-08-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Beehut

Everything happened the same as it had in the originally, with 2007 Dan standing in for the passed out 2000 Dan.
Or was it always 2007 Dan?
Old 11-08-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Livia's not "out of the picture". I'm certain she'll continue to be an important character on the show, just not the way you think. Now that this mission is complete, they can begin to address the other hints the writers have placed in her discussions with Dan.

das
Old 11-08-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[QUOTE=Beehut]
Unless I misunderstood it, I liked how the whole reason Katie was in Dan's apartment when he woke up that day in the past was because of future Dan. That thing he could never explain (how she got in the apartment) wasn't just because he was too drunk to remember but because his, if i can borrow a South Park term, future self made it happen. At least in the "new" present it is.
QUOTE]

He just said he was too drunk to remember, and it turned out to be the newsanchor friend (also at the poker game) had called Katie to come get Dan, just as it was shown in this episode. Everything happened the same as it had in the originally, with 2007 Dan standing in for the passed out 2000 Dan.
Could be, but the time travel paradox lover in me likes to think that there was more to Dan's having no idea how Katie got into his apartment than just being bombed to the bejesus belt.
Old 11-08-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Nice brother, by the way.
Old 11-08-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Livia's not "out of the picture". I'm certain she'll continue to be an important character on the show, just not the way you think. Now that this mission is complete, they can begin to address the other hints the writers have placed in her discussions with Dan.
I agree. There are only 4 main characters on this show, and she is one of them. The character WILL be back, I just don't think she'll be working with Dan any more. Most likely Jack will find her when he starts to hyper-scrutinize Dan's every move...
Old 11-10-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Cellar Door
No, I get all that. What I want to know is where is Livia living her "everyday" life. When she is not time-traveling to help Dan (or any other missions she has had previously and will have subsequently), what is she doing? Dan has a wife and kid and a job and a regular life apart from his missions. Does Livia have the same? These would have been among my first questions for her, were I Dan.
I understand the "need" for the show writers to drag out the answers to these questions, but I agree--Dan would have asked these by now. They really should have addressed it on some level because otherwise it just gets frustrating--like watching Lost and shouting at the TV, "Why doesn't someone just ask/answer a question?!?!"
Old 11-12-07, 01:12 PM

I wanted to smack the brother for a long time, but when he basically steered the fed right to Dan, I really want him hurt. My personal belief is that the brother is still hurt over Katie and doesn't want Dan to be happy with her.
Old 11-12-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The brother is a major tool. I just want Vic Mackey to show up and shoot him in the face.

So far he is being written very one-dimensionally. His character's only purpose is to stymie Dan. He is like Doakes on Dexter.

I still don't think that Livia has a normal life that she "goes back to." I think that is the point: she is leaping through time, but Dan keeps being pulled back to his own time. His family is like an anchor for him, and Livia has no such anchor.
Old 11-13-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Also, maybe I'm just getting to be a big pussy as I get older or I love the song that much but the whole scene at the end set to Lucky Man by the Verve was great
I didn't know who it was, but I liked the scene and the song.

I really thought this was a great episode. Not only did the majority of the episode focus on the past, but there wasn't the constant jumping around that we've seen in all of the other episodes.

I think Dan's brother may be trying to help - he saw the money and now it's gone. Maybe he truely believes the FBI won't find anything?

I thought it was great how Livia disappeared and was put in Dan's house to find the money because that's what she needed to do to accomplish her mission. Good point by whoever said that actually saves him twiceover.

I think the episode actually proved to be better than the preview.

Also, less we forget, Dan did tell his brother in episode one, but he didn't believe him. In fact, he told him before he told Katie if I remember correctly.

Anybody else feel like they're doing a very good job with setting the mood whenever there are character interactions of the "past" selves whether Dan is left observing or participating?
Old 11-13-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Why are you guys so convinced time-travelling Livia is done? I think it's pretty clear that in this episode, her mission was to help 2007 Dan set his own timeline right in 2000. But her mission in every episode has been to help time-travelling 2007 Dan. And in one episode, she told 2007 Dan that she used to time travel before she even met Dan, so her time-travelling is clearly not linked just to Dan. I just assumed that she vanished at the end of this episode because her mission of the moment -- helping 2007 Dan help 2000 Dan start a relationship with 2000 Katie -- was done, but that she'll be back next week to help 2007 Dan on whatever his next mission may be.
I don't understand the "proof" either, but until Das pointed it out I hadn't looked at the first 7 episodes as us also seeing Livia's mission. That being - to make sure Dan and Katie end up together. All of her "mini-missions" to help Dan were actually part of her larger mission. Just like Dan would jump in and out of different people's live to interact with them to complete his mission, so too was Livia with Dan as her mission. She intersected with Dan while he was on his missions rather than in his own/original time periods. Really crazy if you think about it - adds some real depth to the creativity of the writers if you ask me!

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing. I think it made sense to me. rofl