Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Kid Nation - Premiere 9/19/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Kid Nation - Premiere 9/19/07

Old 09-21-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was a little bit enjoyable, but I'm not sure I'm going to like a whole season of it.
Old 09-22-07, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

clearly not the -watch kids get ate by wolves- sort of show many where talking it up to be in the press...

that being said, I did not really find it all that interesting being it has too much structure.. I was thinking it was kids dumped off in a town and they had to just sort of mill around and do whatever..

but they split the town into groups, they forced them into a class structure by age (like the littlest kids have any change to ever win a challenge?) with set jobs.. etc.. meh..

I think I might tune in next week just to see if the kids go into a sugar coma now that some of them are "running" the candy store like kiddy crack pushers...
Old 09-22-07, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i could have sworn that i read an article a month or so ago saying that CBS pulled the plug on this after all the negative press over what a retarded idea it was.
Old 09-22-07, 07:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Derrich
Is this what the kids of today are like? Some guy tells them to do something, and even though you know for a fact you dont have to, you do it anyway?If these kids are any example, the next generation will be filled with puppets.

D
You just described every adult in this country that has to work for a living....
Old 09-22-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Minority here as well. It wasn't awful. Perhaps you need to be around kids to appreciate they actually had a few interesting children involved? My 9 year old daughter and 5 year old son loved seeing kids in positions of authority, and as manipulative as it was, I gotta say I liked the girl calling her mom and telling her she won $20k. We'll give it at least another week.
Old 09-22-07, 10:24 PM

Ok, someone here said that most 26 and single people didn't like the show. Well, I'm here to prove them wrong. I'm 26, male, single, and I loved the show. It's really a good family show and learning tool. I like to see kids use abilities they know they have in them. It's good that a show like this comes along and shows how not only kids but everyone can work together to unify themselves as a community. So many kids these days are basically snotty, stuck-up, smart mouthed little bastards. There are good kids out there too, not all kids are bad. The parents and the upbringing are what shapes these kids. This is a lesson in life that most kids will never get sadly. To the kids that participate in this social experiment of a show, hopefully will benefit and learn from it.

With all the negative press on this show. It turned out to be one of the best surprises in game show and reality show history. We don't see enough of this family entertainment much anymore. Sadly in our day and age, if "Little House on the Prairie" or "Highway to Heaven" or even "You Can't Do that on Television" were to be new shows. There'd be people hating on those shows too. I think all good shows are paved with controversy. Yes, even the classics.
Old 09-22-07, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLwizard
26, not single. My 29yo, single, roommate and I watched...
Your wife must be understanding to also allow you to have a "roommate"
Old 09-22-07, 11:15 PM

I loved the show. I wish they had made it years ago, when I was that age, so I could do it. Maybe it'll help people realise how much children are underestimated. They are capable, and in many ways better than adults. If anyone thinks that the children are going to starve or kill eachother, than they do not remember themselves at that age.
Old 09-23-07, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
That 14yr old with the old face dancing for cash was especially creepy.

I'm waiting for Piggy to go over the cliff, then I'm cutting this one loose.
Old 09-23-07, 02:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mike7162
That 14yr old with the old face dancing for cash was especially creepy.
She only looks "old" because they cake the makeup on her. My guess is that she's old enough to have some blemishes that they have to conceal.
Old 09-23-07, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz
i could have sworn that i read an article a month or so ago saying that CBS pulled the plug on this after all the negative press over what a retarded idea it was.

Thats interesting, I hadnt seen that.
Old 09-23-07, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by matta
Your wife must be understanding to also allow you to have a "roommate"
Wait... single only means not married? Can't wait to see the look on my girlfriend's face when I change my facebook profile.
Old 09-23-07, 11:29 AM

i liked it
Old 09-23-07, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Wait... single only means not married? Can't wait to see the look on my girlfriend's face when I change my facebook profile.
It's obvious what was meant in this thread.

OT: isn't there an age cut off for facebook?
Old 09-23-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matta
It's obvious what was meant in this thread.

OT: isn't there an age cut off for facebook?
Not anymore.
Old 09-23-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Kid Nation" won its time period in adults 18-49, children 2-11 and children 6-11.
What? That's the lamest ratings spin I have ever read. Yay, we won the coveted grade school demographic!

I turned this off after 15 minutes. It was either that or shoot myself.
Old 09-23-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Well, we'll know if they start featuring commercials for Fisher Price.
Old 09-23-07, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Not anymore.
They should bring it back. Otherwise, that whole "creepy" factor starts to kick in at about age 25.
Old 09-24-07, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Thats interesting, I hadnt seen that.
They are already casting for Kid Nation 2.

Chris
Old 09-24-07, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
What? That's the lamest ratings spin I have ever read. Yay, we won the coveted grade school demographic!

I turned this off after 15 minutes. It was either that or shoot myself.
The 'tweens' age group is one of the most coveted advertiser age groups.

Chris
Old 09-24-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Although it sounds creepy, the 'tweens are indeed a coveted group. The Wiggles (that's the name, right?) and Barney be damned!

-p
Old 09-24-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no kids but I enjoyed it. It's a social test show similar to Beauty and the Geek. I didn't care too much for the challenge because then it's getting to close to the aging Survivor show though I'm sure CBS is looking for a successor to that show. Wasn't there a Lord of the Flies reality show somewhere?

The red-headed girl from Mass. cracked me up with her accent. They are doing pretty well. I'm not sure how I would handle being out there when I was their age.
Old 09-26-07, 09:09 AM

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. And I gotta admit I am totally hooked. The kids really surprised me with their insight on many of the topics they discussed. I am looking forward to the next episode tonight.
Old 09-26-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
These kids are really stupid. They want to kill the chickens for protein. What do they think's in the beans and eggs?
Old 09-26-07, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by ben12
These kids are really stupid. They want to kill the chickens for protein. What do they think's in the beans and eggs?
I think they definetely went over the line even putting the idea of killing the chickens into the kids heads. They definetely shouldn't have little kids whacking chicken's heads off. Its sick.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.