Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to Buffy the Musical on the big screen?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wondered if any other Buffy fans have attended one of these. They have been screening "Once More With Feeling" on the big screen in various markets. They show it at midnight and the event is interactive a la Rocky Horror. Costumes are encouraged as is singing along. Highlights include yelling "Shut up Dawn!" whenever Dawn speaks and popping a popper during the climactic moment in Tara's song.

I just went to the Ann Arbor show this past Friday night. It was a lot a fun. Before the episode screened, they played some cool fan/trivia videos and did an audience participation routine where they acted out various Buffy scenes.

http://uncoolkids.com/buffy/?page_id=30

They said the Ann Arbor event was the biggest theatre they have played so far.
Old 09-10-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
while i would LOVE to see this on the big screen, i would prefer it without the interaction. so if it ever came here, im not sure whether i would go or not.
Old 09-10-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I just wondered if any other Buffy fans have attended one of these. They have been screening "Once More With Feeling" on the big screen in various markets. They show it at midnight and the event is interactive a la Rocky Horror. Costumes are encouraged as is singing along. Highlights include yelling "Shut up Dawn!" whenever Dawn speaks and popping a popper during the climactic moment in Tara's song.

I just went to the Ann Arbor show this past Friday night. It was a lot a fun. Before the episode screened, they played some cool fan/trivia videos and did an audience participation routine where they acted out various Buffy scenes.

http://uncoolkids.com/buffy/?page_id=30

They said the Ann Arbor event was the biggest theatre they have played so far.
I love me some Ann Arbor! That's where my best friend lives. Cool place!
Old 09-10-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I went to one of these in town. The version of Once more with Feeling has subtitles for the song so people can sing along. Its kind of dumb, but it was fun to see it with a bunch of buffy nuts. They played Hush before OMWF
Old 09-10-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I had no idea they were already in Chicago, the wife and I definitely would have made it.
Old 09-10-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last march on the 10th anniversary of the show my local independent movie theater screened 12 episodes of the series from midnight to 10am. The second-to-last episode was "once more with feeling" and before it there was a costume contest, and durring the episode they played the songs with subtitles and we were all incurraged to sing along. It was actually a lot of fun and I'm glad I made it that long to witness it (I almost gave up around 7am with "The Gift."

But it was worth it to see the episode on the big screen with the massive soundsystem surrounded by approx 150 other fans (including my 50 year-old Lit professor completely in Spike drag )
Old 09-10-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I love me some Ann Arbor! That's where my best friend lives. Cool place!
Lert me know next time you come to town, it would be fun to hang out.
Old 09-10-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Lert me know next time you come to town, it would be fun to hang out.

Uh oh, I'm thinking A2 Otter Meet.
Old 09-10-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it at Dragon*Con this year.. Lines were crazy to get in by the way; so must be pretty popular. Was a lot of fun!

edit: this was the live version which is completely worth it!
editedit : shut up dawn!
Old 09-11-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This would be all sorts of awesome! I wonder if they have anything like this in the Portland area.
Old 10-15-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Looks like this has ended...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html

'Buffy' sing-along killed off

NEW YORK (AP) -- Lawyers have driven a stake into the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" sing-along.

The TV show didn't exactly die when the show and its demon-fighting heroine went off the air three years ago. Driven by a fiercely loyal following, fans put together the sing-along event, a la "Rocky Horror Picture Show," where people turn up for midnight screenings of a musical episode of the show, often dressed up in costume as their favorite characters.

That all came to an end this week when the studio that owns the rights to the show got wind of what was going on.

Lawyers for Twentieth Century Fox Television, a division of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., told a licensing company that had given the green light for the sing-along events that it had gone beyond limits of the show's licensing agreements.

All future engagements of the show, including a three-night run scheduled to start Friday in St. Louis, have been canceled.

Chris Alexander, a spokesman for the studio, said that "significant payments" would have to be made to Hollywood unions for the show to be screened in movie theaters, which is a highly unusual arrangement anyway and usually reserved for situations like one-time charity events.

That came as a shock to Clinton McClung, who had organized the sing-along events. "I understand how the entertainment industry works, but I don't understand why it has to work against me," he said.

McClung said he had sought and received a licensing arrangement from Criterion Pictures for the events, but Alexander said those permissions went beyond what Fox allowed.

The musical episode, called "Once More, With Feeling," was a departure for the show, and was written and directed by Joss Whedon, the show's creator. It was nominated for an Emmy award.

About a year ago, McClung started to show the screenings at midnight at a theater in Boston, where he had been in charge of late-night programming, and later did the same thing at an art-house cinema in New York's Greenwich Village.

McClung said a group of about 10 people volunteered to play various roles in the show at the New York theater and to appear onstage to lead the audience.

Now, he's had to cancel a costume party later this month as well as about 10 shows in theaters around the country as a result of the cease-and-desist order. He said he has already taken the sing-along event to 15 other cities, where it has mainly sold out.

In St. Louis, the Tivoli theater had booked the Buffy musical sing-along for three nights, and the opening night, Friday, was sold out.

Ted Mundorff, chief operating officer of Landmark Theaters, which owns the Tivoli, said he was disappointed that fans were being caught in the middle.

"We love the program, and we love the idea, and we're sad that we told people to come and we're not going to be able to show it," Mundorff said.

Despite the apparently insurmountable legal problems, some fans are still hanging in.

"I refuse to give up hope," said Caroline O'Connor, a 25-year-old massage therapy student in New York who appeared onstage as Willow, Buffy's best friend, and as Sweet, a demon character. "I look at it as a paperwork problem."

That's not how Fox sees it.

"We have to protect our interests, and that's what we're doing," says Alexander. "There are plenty of legal ways for fans to enjoy Buffy, but this particular event is not going to be possible at this time."
Old 10-15-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I guess it won't be playing as scheduled in Nashville.