Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Gladiators is coming back

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I saw good out of it was Venus' headlights, and looking for a cameltoe on the ladies. I guess that was why they aired it at 9pm.

This should be a Saturday morning show, NOT a primetime waste of time.
Old 01-07-08, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Monday at 8 on NBC has gone from this . . .

to this . . .

The grand prize for getting the crap kicked out of you on this show is only 100 grand and a car, but the screaming dumbasses on Deal or No Deal can win more than that by opening a couple briefcases? WTF NBC?
Old 01-07-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMark
The grand prize for getting the crap kicked out of you on this show is only 100 grand and a car, but the screaming dumbasses on Deal or No Deal can win more than that by opening a couple briefcases? WTF NBC?
Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. After taxes you're talking about 60k for winning this thing.

As long as the winners are not pre-determined, I don't really care if they re-shoot certain things. Now, if *everything* actually is staged, I would have zero desire to keep watching.

Anyway, this is a good show to DVR and fly through in 25 minutes. Doesn't hurt that Crush is attractive.
Old 01-07-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yea I watched and laughed my ass off. SO cheesy. And why was Yanni howling so much? I felt a bit odd watching cause I despise wrestling and some of that 'drama' felt staged.

Oddly enough I use to date a chick that looked just like that one that got hurt. Only younger and no kids. Weird.

Crush is fucking hot.
Old 01-07-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
Chris Hicks = very excited
Bill Hicks, on the other hand = rolling over in his grave
Old 01-07-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
This show was classic cheese, but fun nonetheless. One of the shows you have playing in the background while you do other stuff.
Old 01-07-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk God

BTW, I don't think I've ever seen this much camel toe on network TV, ever.
Old 01-07-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah, so I just went to the webpage and noticed that we have already seen all of the events. There will be nothing new on tonight.

I was hoping they still had the one where they rolled around in a steel cage and rolling over triggers.
Old 01-07-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by El Scorcho

8) Eliminator - Just cruel putting the hand-bike and treadmill at the end. Just plain cruel. They need to put the penalties for not completing the hand-bike back into play. Or grease the chain a little bit more!
I recalled the ref would hold the contender in the pit for something like 5 seconds, now there is really no reason to attempt the bike or the barrel roll for that matter.

Just jump in and run.
Old 01-07-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by U6C84
Ah, so I just went to the webpage and noticed that we have already seen all of the events. There will be nothing new on tonight.

I was hoping they still had the one where they rolled around in a steel cage and rolling over triggers.
Yeah, it seems like a lot of the great old events are gone. Swingshot was cool. I Also liked the one on the track on the ceiling.
Old 01-07-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
and looking for a cameltoe on the ladies
Ah ha ha... I thought the same f'ing thing. I pointed it out to my wife (to her disgust).
Old 01-07-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And now for the Gladiator you'll be facing...

RIGHT AFTER THESE COMMERCIALS!
Old 01-07-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
This series still has to find it's groove too. So it'll get better, especially when the Gladiators display more personality.
There's only 8 episodes on deck and we are already at the third. Not sure how much change could possibly happen over the next five.

Originally Posted by U6C84

Wow. Seriously? What's the point of watching now? There are tons of other events they could bring back.
Old 01-07-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, they really need to cut that scripted shit out, seriously. The contestants sound like they learned all of their lines backstage. Less talking, more fighting!
Old 01-07-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The travelator is too hard. Its dumb to see the contestants spend more than a minute on it.
Old 01-07-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I saw the last few minutes of tonight's episode and it was total shit. It had a really cheap quality to it. I loved the t-shirts that the families were wearing that had obviously been made by the show as they were all alike except for the colors. And the female announcer is horrible.
Old 01-07-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
There's only 8 episodes on deck and we are already at the third. Not sure how much change could possibly happen over the next five.
Like I said, we'll see more of the Gladiators. Crush really beat those contestants at joust. I thought that one chick was knocked out, that was definitely as brutal as any Gladiator has been. Wolf did another sweet move, this time on hang tough.

Plus, like the original, the series evolved as it went on. I'm sure old events will be refined and new ones will be created. This first season is basically an extended pilot, so I wouldn't expect any fundamental things to this season, but it's personality has all ready grown.

I think it's hilarious to see the contestants struggle on the travelator, although it's not like all of them do poorly. Siene completely owned it, and did better than both the guys.

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I saw the last few minutes of tonight's episode and it was total shit. It had a really cheap quality to it. I loved the t-shirts that the families were wearing that had obviously been made by the show as they were all alike except for the colors. And the female announcer is horrible.
Not any different than the old series, which always felt cheap. All those same stunts were done. I agree about the hosts though, they're lame.
Old 01-07-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop

Not any different than the old series, which always felt cheap. All those same stunts were done. I agree about the hosts though, they're lame.
But this is 2007 and networks but a lot of money into their programming. There is no excuse for such a cheap looking product. The challenge sets on Survivor, which are out in the middle of nowhere, look considerably better and seem of better quality than this stuff. It looks like something they can put up in a couple of hours, tear down, and put up quickly again when they move on to the next town.
Old 01-07-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk God

LOL. My wife and I are laughing our asses off at these guys trying to do the Travelator.
Old 01-07-08, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
But this is 2007 and networks but a lot of money into their programming.
This is 2008...
Old 01-07-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
LOL. My wife and I are laughing our asses off at these guys trying to do the Travelator.
You got married already? I had no idea
Old 01-07-08, 10:29 PM

I just watched some of it on Hulu.com...wow, that's crazy! I feel like they are all on steroids...even the contenders.
Old 01-07-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
The travelator is too hard. Its dumb to see the contestants spend more than a minute on it.
The toughest American Gladiator event ever? The TRAVELATOR!! I nearly am rolling on the floor watching people slip sliding down for large chunks of time.

Here's the basic thing though, its still at its core, the same program. All of the nitpicks can be fixed in an eventual Season 2. We all have fond memories of what gladiator became, but it evolved into that, and I think given the chance, this will too.

Bring in a live play by play guy and don't cut up the action so much and the show improves. Cut the "scripted" banter before the challenges, show improves. Add a few new games and change the eliminator (like the old show did), show improves.

For what it is, I'm enjoying it.
Old 01-07-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jonw9
I recalled the ref would hold the contender in the pit for something like 5 seconds, now there is really no reason to attempt the bike or the barrel roll for that matter.

Just jump in and run.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Why even attempt either one?
Old 01-07-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Why even attempt either one?
Because the script says to?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.