DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   American Gladiators is coming back (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/510068-american-gladiators-coming-back.html)

Jeremy517 08-24-07 04:26 PM

American Gladiators is coming back

And i"m not talking about the reruns on ESPN Classic.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20070823nbc01

NBC, MGM AND REVEILLE ENTER ARENA WITH UPDATED PRIMETIME SERIES VERSION OF POPULAR 'AMERICAN GLADIATORS' HIT FOR A NEW GENERATION

BURBANK - August 23, 2007 -- <b>NBC is reinventing the classic physical competition series "American Gladiators" with a big-arena attitude as a mid-season primetime series</b> from MGM Television and Reveille, it was announced today by Craig Plestis, Executive Vice President, Alternative Programming, Development and Specials, NBC Entertainment.

"This memorable series was once a worldwide phenomenon, and given its built-in appeal, we feel it's time to re-introduce it to a new generation and take it to a heightened level of excitement for fans of all ages," said Plestis. "The 'gladiator' brand is unlike anything on television today, and is event programming at its biggest and best."

"'American Gladiators' is a successful MGM franchise that is ready for a whole new generation of TV viewers," said Jim Packer, co-president, MGM Worldwide Television. "<b>The timing to bring the franchise back is perfect and NBC is the ideal home.</b> We are also excited about partnering with Reveille, which marks the first time we have teamed together on a co-production."

MGM Television will handle international sales of the series and will assist Reveille in setting up locally produced versions outside of the US. "American Gladiators has long been viewed as a path-breaking concept. In taking this franchise around the world, we are sure to reach new levels of excitement and viewer interest," said Gary Marenzi, co-president, MGM Worldwide Television.

"The opportunity to work with MGM and NBC to reinvent one of the first great reality formats - especially one that fits in with our brand of fun, family, event programming - is a dream come true," added "American Gladiators" executive producer and Reveille Managing Director Mark Koops. "We are so psyched we are ready to take on the gladiators ourselves!"

The iconic event/competition show returns with a fresh modern reinvention for the 21st century. <b>Using splashy twists including special effects, water skills and the latest technology, the classic games will be upgraded with even higher thrills, impact, energy and spectacle.</b>

Celebrating the everyday, true American heroes -- weekend warriors who excel and take pride in their physical fitness -- contestants will go up against the show's gladiators -- charismatic and eclectic warriors -- in the ultimate David & Goliath battle. As in MGM's traditional "American Gladiators" franchise, everyday amateur athletes compete against action stars and stunt professionals in contests of physical strength and endurance. The series will include such classic events as The Joust, The Wall, Hang Tough and the Eliminator.

The eight new gladiators (four men and four women) are action-adventure stars ready to take down the everyday challengers with hard knocks and explosive attitudes. Contestants, both male and female, will also be extremely fit but as an added bonus, will also have the chance to train for the match, displaying their physicality, coordination and cunning to viewers in advance of the competition. Each challenger will also have a unique story to tell -- and a compelling reason why they need to win. These unsung heroes combine brawn and heart in their effort to be worthy competitors, which the audience can cheer for against the villainous gladiators.

Produced by MGM Television and Reveille (NBC's "The Office" and "The Biggest Loser," "Nashville Star," "Ugly Betty"), "American Gladiators" is currently casting for contestants.

Reveille's Mark Koops and Howard Owens are executive producers. David Hurwitz ("Fear Factor") will also serve as an executive producer alongside the series creator Johnny Ferraro.

"American Gladiators" originated as a weekly syndicated show in the U.S., airing from 1989 through 1996. The show also spurred equally successful international versions in the United Kingdom, Latin America, Australia, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, South Africa and Japan.
:banana:

Goldberg74 08-24-07 04:37 PM

:banana: :banana:

TGM 08-24-07 04:58 PM

http://images.dvdtalk.com/images/smiles/banana.gifhttp://images.dvdtalk.com/images/smiles/banana.gifhttp://images.dvdtalk.com/images/smiles/banana.gif

ruddiger_718 08-24-07 05:02 PM

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Brian Gentz 08-24-07 05:04 PM

bit skeptical on the modernized 2007 version of the games.

Seantn 08-24-07 06:27 PM

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

ChrisHicks 08-24-07 06:40 PM

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Bluelitespecial 08-24-07 06:48 PM

:toast: :clap: :rock: :D2: Oh hell yes, of all the game show revivals and crappy reality shows finally something good is coming back.

LivingINClip 08-24-07 07:13 PM

SWEET!
I hope it at least resembles the 90's classic.

7Keys 08-24-07 08:14 PM

I was thinking not to long ago I'd like to see this show come back. Or at the very least see some of the old episodes again.

Hopefully it will be true to the original and not MTV/WWE-ish.

Red Dog 08-24-07 08:29 PM

I just hope they have Assault and Powerball.

I watch the original on ESPN Classic Sat and Sun mornings. Great nostalgia.

spinning plates 08-24-07 08:56 PM

best news i've heard in a long time.

Bluelitespecial 08-24-07 09:09 PM

IF Friday night lights is a good blind buy, American Gladiators coming back, and if journeyman is as cool as it looks. I think i will have to start watching shows on NBC again.

SmartisSexy 08-24-07 09:16 PM

I loved that show! Looking forward to checking out the new one.

Dignam 08-24-07 10:12 PM

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Giantrobo 08-24-07 10:19 PM

I didn't watch it but as corny as this show was I'd have to admit it seemed like it had a high fun factor.

Baron Of Hell 08-24-07 11:16 PM

Are they going have names like Laser and Nitro like before?

Seantn 08-24-07 11:23 PM

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

beesonosu 08-24-07 11:44 PM

and back to square one: :banana:

mhg83 08-24-07 11:54 PM

Awesome! I was hoping they would one day bring this show back. Maybe if they wanna push it to the extreme there could be the real Gladiators like in the roman colosseum (:

gryffinmaster 08-24-07 11:56 PM

rotfl Outstanding news. I'll definitely have to tune in once or twice.

spainlinx0 08-25-07 12:16 AM

I was just mentioning to someone a week ago that they need to bring this show back.

Then I tried playing the horrendous NES game of it, and put it out of my mind.

Now, I'm excited!

islandclaws 08-25-07 12:27 PM

Great news. I just recently found that ESPN was re-broadcasting the classic episodes, so my DVR has been filling up with them. I hope they do this new series well because it has potential to kick lotsa ass.

Shilex 08-25-07 01:12 PM

:banana:
:banana: :banana:
:banana: :banana: :banana:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

GradVT06 08-25-07 01:20 PM

Great news! Only thing that would make it better is reruns of the old school American Gladiators with Thunder, Laser, Ice, Blaze, et al.