Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Characters that changed dramatically

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-10-07, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What shows had characters that changed dramatically (or somewhat dramatically) during its run. I don't mean like puberty or a baby going from being a baby one year to a 4 yr old the next.

Darlene on Roseanne went from being a funny, smart ass kid to the depressed goth chick, to I'm not sure what because I quit watching.
Old 08-10-07, 11:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Willow changed a lot. Wesley changed even more, IMO. His character arc was probably the most interesting of any of the Buffyverse characters.
Old 08-11-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David banner in "The Incredible Hulk".
Old 08-11-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wesley from Buffy/Angel, hands down. Bumbling shy guy, to locking women in closets. Good stuff.

Banner. Hehe.
Old 08-11-07, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damnit, two mentions for Wesley already!
Old 08-11-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ellen
Old 08-11-07, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Frasier Crane on Cheers changed more than any character I can think of, and then changed (back) again once he moved to Seattle.

Sipowicz (sp) on NYPD Blue - but the series was kinda about the redemption of Andy.

McNulty on the Wire.

Then the pussification of Tommy Gavin on Rescue Me this season whatever that is about.
Old 08-11-07, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Frasier Crane on Cheers changed more than any character I can think of, and then changed (back) again once he moved to Seattle.
That is why I never liked the sitcom Frasier, because the way they changed his character back into what he was like at the beginning. To me it did not make sense
Old 08-11-07, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This one goes back a while, but the Lou Grant character changed quite a bit when he moved from The Mary Tyler Moore Show to his own Lou Grant. In some ways, you could say that he was the same character in name only.
Old 08-11-07, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Fonze - from a non-speaking, blue jacketed tough guy, to a leather jacketed song and dance man.

Peg and Al Bundy - they actually seemed to like each other in early episodes, but turned into cartoonish charicatures by the end of the series.
Old 08-11-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bright Abbott, from womanizing jock to sensitive Ephraim clone.
Old 08-11-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
The Fonze - from a non-speaking, blue jacketed tough guy, to a leather jacketed song and dance man.

Peg and Al Bundy - they actually seemed to like each other in early episodes, but turned into cartoonish charicatures by the end of the series.
I've noticed that as well as I watch the seasons again as the DVDs are released (F**k Sony is taking their time). The Season One episode, "Sixteen Years and What Do You Get" is the perfect example of this. By the end of the episode they ended up dancing together & showing their love for each other in the typical "sitcom sensitivity" way. Then as the episodes roll along you see less & less of their love for each other & more & more of their hate for each other. If someone watched the first season & then jumped to the fourth or fifth, they wouldn't be watching the same Al & Peg. Now I'm not saying it was a bad thing that they didn't show the whole "I love you" thing to each other but by the final season (11) they were just (like you said) cartoon characters.

Also, Peg's make-up (look) style changed. Al always looked about the same though.

Alan Alda's Hawkeye changed dramatically (literally), but for the better on M*A*S*H.

The cast of Seinfeld weren't complete a**holes in the first 2 or 3 seasons. Julia LD. wasn't as grating as she would be in later seasons.

Elliot Reid (played by the one & only Sarah Chalke ) on Scrubs went from the "natural" look to the "sluttier" look.
Old 08-11-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nateman241
Alan Alda's Hawkeye changed dramatically (literally), but for the better on M*A*S*H
One of the bigger changes in a TV character (also from MASH) was Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan. She was having an affair with a married man, was very pro-war and was always on a power trip. Her nurses hated her and so did everyone else in the 4077th. Simply put, she was a bitch.

Then one episode she comes back from Tokyo engaged to Penobscott and right away you start to see that she's opened up a bit more and is a bit more fun loving even if she was still pro-war. After Burns left the show and she got divorced she was suddenly "one of the guys", playing along in some of their schemes and her nurses liked her (especially after an episode where she confronted them about not being one of the girls). She actually cared about other people, stopped the power-tripping and it was hard to get a grasp on her stance on the war (she seemed to still be of the military mindset, but she definitely wasn't as gung-ho about the war as she used to be).

It almost felt like they killed off the Hotlips character (did anyone even call her "Hotlips" the last few seasons?) and replaced her.
Old 08-11-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kramer changed alot.
Old 08-11-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does Trapper John from MASH count from the MASH series to Trapper John MD?
Old 08-11-07, 12:58 PM

Waylan Smithers appeared to be black in the early episodes of the Simpsons.
Old 08-11-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kelly from The Office.
Old 08-11-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mr. Garrison got a sex change on South Park.
Old 08-11-07, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michael on Melrose Place. From a good doctor and husband to a lying and cheating a-hole.
Old 08-11-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another for M*A*S*H:

Klinger. From cross-dressing Section 8-seeker to clean-cut corporal.
Old 08-11-07, 04:30 PM
Banned

Archie Bunker changed big time.
Old 08-11-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Scully went from being the skeptic to the one with the zany theories in the last few seasons of X-Files.
Old 08-11-07, 05:05 PM

Gabrielle from Xena Warrior Princess
Old 08-11-07, 09:12 PM

Londo Mollari
G'Kar
Old 08-11-07, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Coral
One of the bigger changes in a TV character (also from MASH) was Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan. She was having an affair with a married man, was very pro-war and was always on a power trip. Her nurses hated her and so did everyone else in the 4077th. Simply put, she was a bitch.

Then one episode she comes back from Tokyo engaged to Penobscott and right away you start to see that she's opened up a bit more and is a bit more fun loving even if she was still pro-war. After Burns left the show and she got divorced she was suddenly "one of the guys", playing along in some of their schemes and her nurses liked her (especially after an episode where she confronted them about not being one of the girls). She actually cared about other people, stopped the power-tripping and it was hard to get a grasp on her stance on the war (she seemed to still be of the military mindset, but she definitely wasn't as gung-ho about the war as she used to be).

It almost felt like they killed off the Hotlips character (did anyone even call her "Hotlips" the last few seasons?) and replaced her.
Yeah, I can't believe I forgot abot Hotlips. But I think most of the characters on that show changed a good bit, assuming they didn't leave. And generally, those changes were not for the betterment of the show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.