Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest quality nosedive

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Biggest quality nosedive

Old 08-10-07, 09:25 AM
DB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huff. Season 1 was great; season 2 was much more uneven, characters started acting out of character, and it became unnecessarily dark in tone.
Old 08-10-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Simpsons-2 words, Mike Scully. nuf' said.

Roseanne- Some people thought that around the sixth season Roseanne took a dip in quality but I think it was good until the end of season eight. Season Seven wasn't as good as Season Eight but it was still "Classic" Roseanne in my opinion. Season Nine or the "lottery" season was a completely different show. I can't think of how many sharks that "Jumped the Shark" in Roseanne's final season. Altrough I don't think the finale is as bad as some people make it out to be, the rest of the season was a complete & utter mess. At least Sarah Chalke was back full time again.

NCIS -Is the most recent show (besides Lost) that took a huge hit in quality. The first three seasons were great but season four was about as intresting as a hole in the wall. Mark Harmon & Donald B. don't get along we working together & it definitely showed.

I can think of more but those are the biggies.
Old 08-10-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
24. Went from one of the best seasons..to a horrible crapfest.
For people like me who hated season five, season six was simply an obvious and natural extension of season five storytelling...
Old 08-10-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by J.J.A. Sabadoz
As for going bad:

Millenium season three, after the great season two.
That's a good pick. The funny thing is...Season 3 wasn't even that bad, but the complete disregard for Season 2's cliffhanger killed it right out of the gate.
Old 08-10-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I vote for Boston Public. The show never took itself TOO seriously, but season two was a joke compared to season 1.
Old 08-10-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nateman241's favortie show took a huge dive last season. It is still good, but no longer the greatest sitcom in the history of the universe.
Old 08-10-07, 11:05 AM

THE TONIGHT SHOW: Johnny Carson --> Jay Leno
Old 08-10-07, 12:20 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The final season of JAG was horrible. I hated seeing the show limp out like that.

I'm not sure if 24 took a big nosedive this past season or whether it was just more of the same and it became obvious it was all ridiculous. Either way I don't expect to be watching when it starts up again.

I disagree about NCIS. I thought this past season was very good and look forward to the continuing storyline in the upcoming season.
Old 08-10-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sopranos

Simpsons

Boston Public (went it turned into a musical)
Old 08-10-07, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Men Behaving Badly, when Ron Eldard and Justine Bateman left.

I'm wondering how CSI: Miami is going to work Mr. Wolf back into the show. If he's not a CSI, don't waste time with him, he should be on the show or out! I don't care if he learns life lessons trying to be a TV reporter, I want to see H and Eric kick some coke dealer ass! And HD shots of the tasty female guest star ass.
Old 08-10-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Dignam
I'm wondering how CSI: Miami is going to work Mr. Wolf back into the show. If he's not a CSI, don't waste time with him, he should be on the show or out! I don't care if he learns life lessons trying to be a TV reporter, I want to see H and Eric kick some coke dealer ass! And HD shots of the tasty female guest star ass.
Don't worry Tim Speedle being brought back from the dead should improve things this season.
Old 08-10-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nip/Tuck. First two seasons were excellent. Season 3 was pretty good, but got weak really quick. S4 was a total turd.
Old 08-10-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd182
I have to agree. It completely tanked from the start of Season 2 on.
I thought the slide for the OC started when they introduced Oliver in the first season.
Old 08-10-07, 02:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJariya
Don't worry Tim Speedle being brought back from the dead should improve things this season.
I thought he was on the new spinoff with Michael J. Fox...
Old 08-10-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Dead Like Me
I really thought DLM season 2 was better than season 1. After having just re-watched both seasons over the last couple weeks, I still stand by that. I really wish they would've done a third season.

OTOH, I'd have to agree with the poster who mentioned Rescue Me. I think this current season has really dropped in quality, and it's just not as much fun to watch now.
Old 08-10-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Dignam
I thought he was on the new spinoff with Michael J. Fox...
LOL! Nice...CSI: The Frighteners. Someone had way too much time of their hands creating that nonsense.
Old 08-10-07, 03:49 PM
Banned

Andy Griffith Show...everything after Season 5.

From warm black and white to sterile color.

From an eminently-watchable, all-time classic to a pit of mediocrity & beyond.

From Barney Fife to...Deputy Warren & Howard Sprague.

'Nuff said.
Old 08-10-07, 03:58 PM

I'll second (third?) Dark Angel Season 2. It lost its focus, introduced that stupid DNA virus that kept Logan and Max from touching just because the writers couldn't figure out what to do with the two character if they got together, and turned it into a freak-of-the-week show. Plus did anyone like the addition of Alec the asshole?

Dead Like Me Season 2, on the other hand, found it focus in season 2 and was better than the first season. I wish it had kept going instead of getting canceled.
Old 08-10-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tscott
I'll second (third?) Dark Angel Season 2. It lost its focus, introduced that stupid DNA virus that kept Logan and Max from touching just because the writers couldn't figure out what to do with the two character if they got together, and turned it into a freak-of-the-week show. Plus did anyone like the addition of Alec the asshole?

Dead Like Me Season 2, on the other hand, found it focus in season 2 and was better than the first season. I wish it had kept going instead of getting canceled.
I agree 100% on both counts.
Old 08-10-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 315 Likes on 256 Posts
I agree with the above mentions....
The O.C. S1 to S2
Star Trek S2 to S3
Simpsons S8 to S9

I'll add....
LA Law S5 to S6
Law & Order S10 to S11 and the S11 to S12 dive was almost as big
The Practice S2 to S3
Boston Legal S2 to S3
Old 08-10-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Also the Sopranos.
Probably jumped the shark when Junior started singing at the end of Season 3.
I have to say it jumped the shark about half way during the production of season 4. The show was supposed to end with season 4 but HBO got greedy and decided to keep it on the air, and they had to put off good story lines for filler crap.

Which is why I love TV from the UK, the BBC especially. If they only want to run a show for a couple years, it's on for only a couple years, regardless of how popular it is or how much cash might be made if they continued it.
Old 08-10-07, 07:05 PM

I just remembered a HUGE one:

Moonlighting - Season 4

I'm being very generous by not including the season 3 Mark Harmon episodes in this. The second half of season 3 was a drop in quality, but nowhere near the depths that season 4 plunged. Maddie was almost completely removed from the show- relegated to 5 minutes of moping in her PJs at her parents house per episode. David Addison mopes alone and gets put through the wringer, including a bizarre 2-parter where he gets put in prison through a mistaken identity mistake. Herbert Viola is given the burden of carrying a show or two. Then Maddie returns with a very out-of-character move made on a train ride. Pure death compared to a brilliant 2 1/2 season start.
Old 08-10-07, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Alias from season two to season three
I second that.
Old 08-10-07, 07:32 PM

The Cosby Show. It was great until Pam came around and the last two seasons were pretty bad compared to the brilliance of the first several seasons.

Cosby (96-00). It was really funny and then Madeline Kahn got sick and later died. After that the show tried to be way too serious, especially with Doug E Doug.

And another vote for Roseanne. When Darlene became all depressed the show took step back but was still funny. It would take a bigger nosedive later. This show was all over the place as far as quality goes.
Old 08-10-07, 07:46 PM
Banned

First thing that comes to mind for me is Battlestar Galactica. Season two ended fantastic and even though the very beginning of season three showed much promise, it fell off faster than any show I've ever watched. Just a total mess now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.