Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dinner Impossible on the Food Network

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dinner Impossible on the Food Network

If you could combine James Bond with MacGyver, you would get Robert Irvine, a real life chef extraordinaire and the host of Dinner: Impossible. Each week, Robert (with the help of his two sous-chefs, George and George) is thrown a new culinary curveball and the team must figure out a way to solve their challenge before time runs out. From making dinner for 150 passengers aboard a luxury locomotive to recreating an authentic 18th century meal, will he succeed or will it truly be, Dinner: Impossible?
I love, love, love this show.

Last night I watched the one where he had to create a buffet with 4 buffet lines for students graduating at a private HS.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ie/
Old 08-09-07, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just caught this for the first time the other night. Two episodes actually, one where he had to create meals for some national spelling bee which had to appeal to both kids and adults, plus make a special meal for the winner of the bee.

Second one was he had I think 6 hours to make some traditional cowboy food for a bunch of cattle rustlers, but couldn't make things they'd already eaten like baked beans, pork stew and whatnot.

I'm liking it, might have to put it into my regular rotation.
Old 08-09-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I started watching midway last season. Great show. Fun little diversion. Amazing what he can create with limited time and resources.
Old 08-09-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My DVR gets installed Saturday! I can't wait to be able to actually watch all these shows that I normally can't watch.
Old 08-09-07, 12:44 PM

I've gotten drawn into this show a few times. They often seem to run two or three episodes in a row and, believe me, after three episodes, that beeping countdown timer and loud Mission Imposiblesque music that blares nonstop gets really irritating.
Old 08-09-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tony Bourdain's comments on Dinner: Impossible reflect my feelings:

If you've ever seen [Robert Irvine's] show, by the way--it's hilarious. It's "Knight Rider Meets Leonard's Of Great Neck "" Can four professional cooks make onion dip for 40-- in time?!!!"
His emphasis, not mine.

Irvine's food is always typical catering-style boring. I've seen all the episodes and I would say that he is mostly under time-constraints, not so much resource-constraints. That is, he could accomplish his "missions" with the resources available (usually including an unlimited shopping budget) if it were not for the time limits. (Exceptions for the episode when he had to cook on a bon-fire on an island.)
Old 08-09-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by pantala
Tony Bourdain's comments on Dinner: Impossible reflect my feelings:

His emphasis, not mine.

Irvine's food is always typical catering-style boring. I've seen all the episodes and I would say that he is mostly under time-constraints, not so much resource-constraints. That is, he could accomplish his "missions" with the resources available (usually including an unlimited shopping budget) if it were not for the time limits. (Exceptions for the episode when he had to cook on a bon-fire on an island.)
That's not necessarily true.

In the episode where he was in the ice hotel, he couldn't use ovens/stoves inside, and had to run 300 yards to get all the food back and forth. They had to cook outside, or use those weird convection pan things.

On the island one, he had to catch sea food, make a fire himself and cook all the food around the fire with old flatware.

In the baseball episode, he had to use the food they gave him, which was all ballpark food. Not exactly gourmet.

In the NFL challenge, he didn't have anything but $300. He had to barter for food and grill space.

I'm sure some of that stuff is contrived for cameras, but I don't doubt they make it as hard as possible for him.
Old 02-25-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bringing back an old thread to support and reiterate my assertion that Robert Irvine is bullshit.

Recently Irvine's credentials have been under question, and he really hasn't denied that he falsified the information. No degree from the University of Leeds, he did not actively participate in the creation of Princess Diana's wedding cake, he has not been knighted, and has never cooked for state dinners at the White House.

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/17/So...d_up_his.shtml
http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/19/So...rses_res.shtml

Irvine's biography on the Food Network site as well as his own site (!) has been pulled.
Old 02-26-08, 02:03 AM

His credentials really have nothing to do with the show. He clearly is a good chef (in as far as he seems able to prepare meals under the given constraints). What difference does it make towards the show whether or not he has classical training or not? They could do the exact same show with me (I'm a PhD student in Engineering, so really, all I can cook is Ramen) as the host. I would just lose more challenges.
Old 02-26-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by pantala
Bringing back an old thread to support and reiterate my assertion that Robert Irvine is bullshit.

Recently Irvine's credentials have been under question, and he really hasn't denied that he falsified the information. No degree from the University of Leeds, he did not actively participate in the creation of Princess Diana's wedding cake, he has not been knighted, and has never cooked for state dinners at the White House.

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/17/So...d_up_his.shtml
http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/19/So...rses_res.shtml

Irvine's biography on the Food Network site as well as his own site (!) has been pulled.
And? Regardless if he lied about every single thing he's done, he's still a pretty damn good chef and does amazing things with these challenges. Not sure why you have such a bug up your ass about this guy.
Old 02-26-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to say he's a bad chef, he's not. But there are integrity elements to life when for some reason I felt was a little off for him. The respect he demanded yet never seemed to really give.

Saying that. I do like the show. But if it gets pulled it's his own fault.
Old 04-22-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Read Story Here:

[04.22.08 - 08:25 AM]
FOOD NETWORK'S MICHAEL SYMON TAKES ON A NEW SET OF CHALLENGES IN DINNER: IMPOSSIBLE
Released by Food Network

Food Network's Michael Symon Takes On a New Set of Challenges in Dinner: Impossible Iron Chef To Take Over As Host Of Primetime Series

NEW YORK, April 22 -- Food Network's newest Iron Chef, Michael Symon, is ready for his next challenge -- becoming the host of popular primetime series Dinner: Impossible. Production begins this week with Symon at the helm of 10 new episodes, putting both his culinary and time management skills to the test. New episodes of the series, which airs Wednesdays at 10pm ET/PT, will begin airing this summer. The show will also adopt a new hour-long format. .................................
Old 04-22-08, 12:33 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Read Story Here:

[04.22.08 - 08:25 AM]
FOOD NETWORK'S MICHAEL SYMON TAKES ON A NEW SET OF CHALLENGES IN DINNER: IMPOSSIBLE
Cool.

I'll still watch it.
Old 04-22-08, 01:31 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
I like Michael Symon a lot, so I might start watching this show.
Old 04-22-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

I'll watch it, too, but I still think Robert got the shaft.
Old 04-22-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
Did Symon ever do any IC shows? I only remember seeing him on his first show after he won the spot.
Old 04-22-08, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Did Symon ever do any IC shows? I only remember seeing him on his first show after he won the spot.
He's had two battles so far. He won the Thanksgiving Battle and the Rabbit Battle.
Old 04-22-08, 03:06 PM

cool the new eps are an hour long. i always thought this show would be better an hour long.
symon seems pretty cool. i always thought robert was a dopey goof so i wont miss him.
Old 07-23-08, 11:33 AM

Watching that show is a hour of my life wasted. Symon was dry and boring beyond belief. I would rather chew a mouth full of corn starch then watch him again! RIP Dinner Impossible.
Old 07-23-08, 12:44 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by DKMYHEART
Watching that show is a hour of my life wasted. Symon was dry and boring beyond belief. I would rather chew a mouth full of corn starch then watch him again! RIP Dinner Impossible.
It might be fair to give him more than one freakin' show before reaching a conclusion. Geez!
Old 07-23-08, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by DKMYHEART
Did you watch it twice?

It was only a half hour.
Old 07-24-08, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Did you watch it twice?

It was only a half hour.
Really? Half an hour? Felt like a WEEK. Thought I was being nice. I can't post what I really think of this guys performance. It was BAD.
Old 07-24-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
He's had two battles so far. He won the Thanksgiving Battle and the Rabbit Battle.
He lost one, though. I saw it. Can't remember what the ingredient was, but it was against some female chef that worked at some restaurant in NYC. Speckled pig or something?
Old 07-24-08, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
He lost one, though. I saw it. Can't remember what the ingredient was, but it was against some female chef that worked at some restaurant in NYC. Speckled pig or something?
When I made that post he was 2-0. He recently lost the Olive battle against April Bloomfield.
Old 07-24-08, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
I'll watch it, too, but I still think Robert got the shaft.
How exactly did he get the shaft? He lied, many, many times in his resume. He is a fraud and was hired under false pretenses. He embarrassed his employers, he should be thankful they did not sue his pants off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.