TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Drew Carey New Host of Price is Right!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abrg923
First episode was horrible.

#1.) He talks WAY too fast. He's going to lose the older audience quickly talking that fast.
That would be one of the best thing to happen to the show. Keeping those old people happy is what is holding the show back from stepping into modern times.

#2.) He lets the contestants walk all over him. Especially the woman who took five minutes deciding on something...Barker would've stopped that after 10-15 seconds.
I can't disagree there. However, he's probably used to the timing on Power of Ten where people can take an eternity to make a decision. That's something he can work on for the Price is Right and I doubt that will last long.

#3.) It's not necessary to do the "Did you drive here? Well maybe you can drive home!" bit before they announce a car...yet he did it each time.
I give him props for trying to come up with his own style. It will take a little while for him to find his groove. Give it time.

#4.) I don't think I knew the announcer's last name before this show. After one show with Drew, I know it's Rich Fields, since he said it 11 times in the episode.
I had no problem with that.

#5.) The set looks terrible. It's like something straight out of the 80's. And what's with the awful music?
Back to #1 and my point there...if you changed the set too dramatically, all those geriatric dinosaurs they cater to would spit out their dentures.
Old 10-19-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07

The only thing I truly miss is the failure music.
http://tpirfailure.ytmnd.com/

I have missed it all week long...did they retire that wonderful piece of music?
Strangely just today I heard it after a guy lost at the Switch Game (or whatever it's officially called).

Anyway, I've watched most this week and does it seem strange that the winning percentage is REALLY high? I mean, this first week at least 4 people got the dollar on the big wheel (and two during the same spin off did it today). I realize some of the games can be really easy, but dang that's a lot of winners.
Old 10-19-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
It was never a huge auditorium. It's always been small. I know somebody who went to a taping and confirmed it was much smaller in life than it appears on TV. Maybe they are filming the audience different this year to give you an idea of the actual size of the auditorium?
I've been to a taping (one of Bob's last), and I can confirm that the Bob Barker Studio is TINY, and always has been. There are only seats for 325 people, even when they use the "overflow" area in the center rear (the white platform - they sometimes fill it with folding chairs), and the stage is nowhere near as large as the camera angles make it look on TV.

They have added a new floating/zooming camera over the audience this year, so maybe that makes it look smaller than before to some people.
Old 10-19-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
It was obvious that the first show wasn't actually the first taped show. The perfect show was too coincidental. More unusual to me were the contestants who were way over the top...more than you'd normally see.

I don't see anyone tuning into TPIR to see Drew Carey, that's for sure.
Old 10-19-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I don't see anyone tuning into TPIR to see Drew Carey, that's for sure.
I never tuned into see Bob Barker either. He had some VERY annoying habits that grated on my nerves after a while. I tune in because it's one of my favorite game shows.
Old 10-20-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More unusual to me were the contestants who were way over the top...more than you'd normally see.
Which could easily be explained by the fact that it WAS his first show (assuming that it was). It was advertised that he was coming, and the CBS web site made it really easy to find out when the first taping date was. It's not too much of a stretch to think that some people might be excited to be on the first episode of a new host.
Old 10-29-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
So is "One Away" the new Plinko or something? I swear, every episode I've seen so far has this game.
Old 10-29-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quick question. I was watching some Price is Right videos on You Tube and there are a bunch where people are bidding $420 on the prizes in contestant's row... what's the deal?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZHdjqsSSa_A&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZHdjqsSSa_A&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 10-29-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apparently 420 is some kind of "code" in the drug subculture (especially the marijuana subculture), and some drug users think they are super cool when they can repeatedly use the number in situations where other people aren't in on the "joke" (as if they have really pulled the wool over someone's eyes, or gotten away with something really subversive, or some such "logic").
Old 10-30-07, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Apparently 420 is some kind of "code" in the drug subculture (especially the marijuana subculture), and some drug users think they are super cool when they can repeatedly use the number in situations where other people aren't in on the "joke" (as if they have really pulled the wool over someone's eyes, or gotten away with something really subversive, or some such "logic").
Thanks!
Old 10-30-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been to a taping (one of Bob's last), and I can confirm that the Bob Barker Studio is TINY, and always has been. There are only seats for 325 people, even when they use the "overflow" area in the center rear (the white platform - they sometimes fill it with folding chairs), and the stage is nowhere near as large as the camera angles make it look on TV.

They have added a new floating/zooming camera over the audience this year, so maybe that makes it look smaller than before to some people.
Slightly off-topic, when I was a kid, my sister was on the $25,000 Pyramid so I was at the taping. Even at 10 I was amazed at how small the audience and stage were.
Old 10-31-07, 05:39 AM

More on the origin and meaning of "420".

...According to Steven Hager, editor of High Times, the term 420 originated at San Rafael High School, in 1971, among a group of about a dozen pot-smoking wiseacres who called themselves the Waldos, who are now pushing 50. The term was shorthand for the time of day the group would meet, at the campus statue of Louis Pasteur, to smoke pot. Intent on developing their own discreet language, they made 420 code for a time to get high, and its use spread among members of an entire generation. While our teens feel that they know something we don't, you can let them in on the fact that it was your generation that came up with the numbers.

A quote from one of the Waldos in the High Times article states, "We did discover we could talk about getting high in front of our parents without them knowing by using the phrase 420."...
http://parentingteens.about.com/cs/m...420meaning.htm

More can be found here for those interested.
http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/420.asp
Old 10-31-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Slightly off-topic, when I was a kid, my sister was on the $25,000 Pyramid so I was at the taping. Even at 10 I was amazed at how small the audience and stage were.
It's like that at pretty much any taping you go to. Both The Daily Show and The Colbert Report sets are also smaller than they appear on TV.
Old 10-31-07, 11:26 PM
Banned

Anybody know how the t.v. ratings are for this show?
Old 11-08-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Similar situation for me, except it was my mom on Bowling for Dollars.

As for the new TPIR, I finally caught some of Drew's hosting yesterday and I must say it was just painful to watch. Drew seemed so uncomfortable and out of place.
Old 03-20-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Drew Carey New Host of Price is Right!

I'm not one to bump threads, but I wasn't going to start a new one just for my feeble rant. Found myself at home today and The Price is Right came on. This show is a shell of what it once was. Not only is Drew still horrible, but I think it's their goal to bring up as many knuckleheads as possible for contestants.
Old 03-22-09, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's definitely awful...I can barely watch it anymore.
Old 09-21-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New season just started. Any word on how much weight Drew lost? Oh, and the models are getting chances to speak more often.
Old 09-21-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not one to bump threads, but I wasn't going to start a new one just for my feeble rant. Found myself at home today and The Price is Right came on. This show is a shell of what it once was. Not only is Drew still horrible, but I think it's their goal to bring up as many knuckleheads as possible for contestants.
Hasn't the knuckehead rule been in effect since, basically, forever?
Old 09-21-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
New season just started. Any word on how much weight Drew lost? Oh, and the models are getting chances to speak more often.
Well that's exactly what I want to hear.

Drew is a horrible host and no the models are "talking". Ugh.
Old 09-21-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Drew has lost over 80 pounds since January. I read that he simply got tired of appearing fat on TV, and wanted to change. Kudos to him! And unlike some people here, I think he's doing fine on the show.

As for the models, the producers announced months ago that some tweaks were coming this season, and it appears that wiring the models with mics was one of the tweaks. Doesn't really affect me one way or the other.

Seems to me that some people are just looking for a reason to be curmudgeonly. Like anything else in life, things will change on TPIR from time to time. It's like the comments I've read on other sites since it was announced that Rich Fields was leaving the show. People are cursing CBS, Drew, and anyone else they can think of, even though neither CBS nor Fields himself have explained the full reason for his departure. Maybe it was mutual.
Old 09-22-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Drew has lost over 80 pounds since January. I read that he simply got tired of appearing fat on TV, and wanted to change. Kudos to him! And unlike some people here, I think he's doing fine on the show.
80? Whoa!

It also looked like Lanisha lost some weight too. How dare she loosen the padding on the greatest booty in the history of PiR!
Old 09-22-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't mind the models doing a little more than just smiling and gesturing.

I think Drew is not as good a host as Barker, but I do think he's more genuine. Sometimes it seemed that Barker was just barely hiding his disdain for contestants.

And Drew looks like the guy from Weakest Link now.
Old 09-22-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think as Bob grew older that did become an occasional issue, but I believe he still loved doing the show, even up until his retirement.

But I do agree that Drew is a much more down-to-earth guy, and people seem to be more comfortable talking to him.
Old 09-23-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm glad when anyone loses weight and gets healthy, but I was off today and caught this and I thought he didn't look like the kind of person who loses weight and is healthy, but, instead, he looked like someone who has lost weight from cancer or something. He looked sick. I'm not saying he is, but he just looked like a feeble and sick man, not a newly thin, healthy man.

Oh, and I watched a lot of this show as a kid and a teen and probably in college and it definitely looked like they were only filling the studio up with the craziest people that they could find.

I noticed Let's Make a Deal was on afterward, but 2 minutes in and I was bored. Got to give that to the Price is Right, it always stays good even if you don't like the new host or something about the model.

The woman who lost the showcase showdown guessed $28,655 something with the major prizes being a vacation and a boat and the other guy got two amazing trips in his showcase, but was off my about 6 thousand too low. The woman was over by like $400. I felt horrible for her.