Hell's Kitchen Episode 7 (7/16/07)

Old 07-16-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hell's Kitchen Episode 7 (7/16/07)

Another Monday at our favorite kitchen

Synpopsis:

Spoiler:
The first challenge facing the six remaining contestants: make appetizers and entrées from leftovers. Then the teams must come up with their own menus for the evening's dinner service. The diners definitely prefer one team's menu, but that's not necessarily a good thing since devising selections and executing them are two different things.
Old 07-16-07, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That guy should be kicked off instead of the other guy (You should know who)
Old 07-16-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I disagree. I think Josh should stay - the guy actually seems like he can cook, he just gets so flustered that he can't do it on the first try. I think it's the cameras and such...however, it's the name of the game. I think Ramsay knows this, and keeps pushing him so he can get past that fear, to give him something else to think about other than the pressure - you know, by making himself the enemy so much that Josh can think about the food without thinking about it. The guy showed some balls tonight pulling himself out of the shit with no help.

Brad struck me as someone who would do better on, say, Top Chef. And he OBVIOUSLY didn't know anything about Ramsay and his tastes going into the competition. All the stuff he put together for the menu looked overcomplicated and pretentiously fancy, without any real substance. That's the type of shit Ramsay absolutely loathes on Kitchen Nightmares.

Julia impresses me more with every week - she actually knows how to cook. and that's 80% of the battle as a chef. She can learn the gourmet aspect and the 'knife skills', etc.

At this point, Bonnie is there just to be a piece of ass to keep people interested...she'll be gone before the final.
Old 07-16-07, 10:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I disagree. I think Josh should stay - the guy actually seems like he can cook, he just gets so flustered that he can't do it on the first try. I think it's the cameras and such...however, it's the name of the game. I think Ramsay knows this, and keeps pushing him so he can get past that fear, to give him something else to think about other than the pressure - you know, by making himself the enemy so much that Josh can think about the food without thinking about it. The guy showed some balls tonight pulling himself out of the shit with no help.

Brad struck me as someone who would do better on, say, Top Chef. And he OBVIOUSLY didn't know anything about Ramsay and his tastes going into the competition. All the stuff he put together for the menu looked overcomplicated and pretentiously fancy, without any real substance. That's the type of shit Ramsay absolutely loathes on Kitchen Nightmares.

Julia impresses me more with every week - she actually knows how to cook. and that's 80% of the battle as a chef. She can learn the gourmet aspect and the 'knife skills', etc.

At this point, Bonnie is there just to be a piece of ass to keep people interested...she'll be gone before the final.

Yeah, Julia also impresses me, wouldn't be too suprised if she is the winner of Hell's Kitchen but I am really hoping that Jen is kicked off, I can't stand that bitch
Old 07-16-07, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a terrible delivery company!

Seems like that was completely staged.
Old 07-16-07, 11:01 PM

Julia is the type of chef that Ramsay would employ and teach, from a commis level.

It cracked me up that Rock said "I'll knock him out". I don't think so there, tough guy. They were all surprised that Ramsay runs around and such - well, duh, he was a Rangers prospect in the Scottish first league...and he's a pretty tough kid that had a rough upbringing - I think Rock would have a tough time with him. I'm actually shocked that Rock is still in the competition - he's just coasted through, hasn't stood out, and done a lot of talking. I don't think he's backed it up yet, nor do I think he will. Maybe I'm wrong.

A bit off topic, I'm dying to see what goes down on the American version of Kitchen Nightmares. Because he simply doesn't have the cred in the US that he has in the UK, and I'm not sure that most regular small town restaurant cooks have heard of him or give a fuck about him.
Old 07-16-07, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
What a terrible delivery company!

Seems like that was completely staged.
Yeah...you missed the point on that, didn't you? Right away, when Ramsay's sous told them to "make sure you check the order", it should have clued you in that they were screwing with them.

The piece I liked was the scripted bit with JP about his back hurting. JP cracks me the hell up...but he's way underused on this show. He's a character and really busts Ramsay's balls on the UK shows.
Old 07-16-07, 11:05 PM
Banned

Julia is the type of chef that Ramsay would employ and teach, from a commis level.

It cracked me up that Rock said "I'll knock him out". I don't think so there, tough guy. They were all surprised that Ramsay runs around and such - well, duh, he was a Rangers prospect in the Scottish first league...and he's a pretty tough kid that had a rough upbringing - I think Rock would have a tough time with him. I'm actually shocked that Rock is still in the competition - he's just coasted through, hasn't stood out, and done a lot of talking. I don't think he's backed it up yet, nor do I think he will. Maybe I'm wrong.

A bit off topic, I'm dying to see what goes down on the American version of Kitchen Nightmares. Because he simply doesn't have the cred in the US that he has in the UK, and I'm not sure that most regular small town restaurant cooks have heard of him or give a fuck about him.

Yeah, I am also suprised Rock is still in the competition, he BARELY done anything, all he did was talk, talk, talk, and not cook!
Old 07-16-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
I read on another message board that Gordon does something touching for one of the contestants. My guess is that he offers to send Julia to cooking school or offers her an apprenticeship in lieu of winning.
Old 07-16-07, 11:10 PM
Banned

While Julie continues to impress, what the hell was her plate of "fish and chips"?!
Old 07-17-07, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
Yeah, I am also suprised Rock is still in the competition, he BARELY done anything, all he did was talk, talk, talk, and not cook!
I think its obvious he's the front runner at this point. Not so much for what he's done but what he hasn't done, screw up. Where as everyone else has been on the receiving end of Ramsey's brow beatings for making mistakes. The only time I can remember him chastising Rock was because of his winking due to having sweat in his eyes. Plus hes been singled out as being the "best of the worst" on the mens team a bunch of times by Ramsey.
Old 07-17-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was out of this for a while, but I'm actually enjoying it now. My take for what it's worth:

Brad - I was a bit surprised to see him chosen, let alone let go. However, I do think he was a lot of talk and little action.

Bonnie - I actually think she too could be taught given the time. However, I feel she is running out of time and not showing enough improvement.

Josh - Indeed has screwed up way too many times. I just can't see him staying around. It will baffle me if he wins.

Julia - She definitely isn't full of herself, but something just seems off. Perhaps lack of confidence? I still can't believe the others are waving the "Waffle House" flag at this point in the game.

Jen - Girl is seriously annoying me. She has got to go. Of all the people I feel she violated Gordon's closing comments - you have to be a team player first.

Rock - I feel that he fell apart somewhat this episode, but overall I feel he is the person to beat. I thin he can do good work and has shown that he can lead. Additional, as others have said, he has yet to royaly screw anything up.
Old 07-17-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty sure Julia said "extracution" when they were deciding who to send up for elimination.
Old 07-17-07, 10:05 AM
Banned

I forgot to add that the paintball game was really cool, I want to try that sometime! I honestly thought 1 of the 3 will defeat Ramsey but I was wrong, Ramsey is too quick for Brad, Josh, and Rock so obviously Ramsey did paintballing before!
Old 07-17-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I'm gonna drop this show. After starting Top Chef this just seems like amatuer cooking hour.
Old 07-17-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Bonnie may be my favorite reality TV person of all time. She actually feels real and is likable. That being said, she shouldn't win this.
Old 07-17-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think the paintball excursion would leave no doubt that the potential rewards are definitely different for each team.
Old 07-17-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know. This show is kinda losing me this season. In general it's still good and i'll stick with it but there's something "off", "set up", and "same old shit" about it. The problem with the "set up" stuff is that it's so obvious. I know all these shows are scripted and that they use creative editing; but for this season it seems like they aren't trying hard enough to at least make it seem not scripted. The Paintball fight was bogus.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-17-07 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-17-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Ramsay's line, to paraphrase...You can't cook. Thats what separates the cooks from the donkeys.

Last edited by 7Keys; 07-17-07 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-17-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I don't know. This show is kinda losing me this season. In general it's still good and i'll stick with it but there's something "off", "set up", and "same old shit" about it. The problem with the "set up" stuff is that it's so obvious. I know all these shows are scripted and that they use creative editing; but for this season it seems like they aren't tryign hard enough to at least make it seem not scripted. The Paintball fight was bogus.
I think that it has more to do with becoming familiar with the show. Every season has been equally contrived and scripted... it is only now that we can see past the "scenario" and focus on the details. When people first watch the show, they're still dealing with Ramsay's interaction with the contestants.

Originally Posted by 7Keys
I like Ramsay's line, to paraphrase...You can't cook. Thats what separates the cooks from the donkies.
That was the quote of the night... followed by Julia's "extracution".
Old 07-17-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brad reminds me so much of Chris Penn. They could be twins.

Bonnie is cute eye candy and fun to watch, but she can't possibly win this. It does seem to be Rock's for the taking, with Julia being the darkhorse. Or maybe Jen, I dunno. She really annoys me so I don't want to see her win, but she is in the running.
Old 07-17-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shilex
Brad reminds me so much of Chris Penn. They could be twins.

He reminds me of Shaun's buddy in "Shaun of the Dead".
Old 07-17-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by sracer
I think that it has more to do with becoming familiar with the show. Every season has been equally contrived and scripted... it is only now that we can see past the "scenario" and focus on the details. When people first watch the show, they're still dealing with Ramsay's interaction with the contestants.

Maybe, who knows. All I know is it's harder to stay interested even when I really want too.
Old 07-17-07, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I don't know. This show is kinda losing me this season. In general it's still good and i'll stick with it but there's something "off", "set up", and "same old shit" about it. The problem with the "set up" stuff is that it's so obvious. I know all these shows are scripted and that they use creative editing; but for this season it seems like they aren't trying hard enough to at least make it seem not scripted. The Paintball fight was bogus.
I think I am over cooking shows, because all three cooking competitions seem really boring and I could careless who wins the whole thing.
Old 07-17-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never taken this show as a "serious" cooking competition. Top Chef falls more into that realm. For me Gordon makes the show extremely fun to watch regardless if it's actually "scripted" or set up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.