Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The 4400 thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-05, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm LIKING this show, but just consider it just good enough to watch but not get excited about.
Old 07-26-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Your favorite author is Alan Moore"
Old 07-26-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

OK, I'm not familiar with Garret Dillahunt who played the new guy (he's apparently been in "Deadwood" and some other stuff). But there's something so uncanny about his resemblance to Billy Campbell. I had to replay stuff over and over to make sure it wasn't some fabulous makeup effect on Billy. If you listen to the conversation he has with Lily at the end, his voice is EXACTLY like Billy Campbell's in tone and inflection when he says the "So you're not a true believer" line to her -- almost like they dubbed his voice there. Being that Collier's body is missing, I'm wondering if they did this to mess with our mind. Or it's leading to something crazy like this guy is actually Collier with a new face. (Hey, he's a 4400 -- who knows what HIS abilities are?)
Old 07-29-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Probably not enough interest to warrant its own thread, but the last episode was decent. Still enjoying it.
Spoiler:

I like that the head 4400 got shot, and that it was the son of the agent. That will make for some great episodes coming up.

While this show is not getting the love, it is decent enough to tivo and watch....considering the crap that seems to be on right now.
Old 07-31-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

seeing as how i missed the assassin episode, does tom's son know what he did?
Old 07-31-05, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by kevin75
seeing as how i missed the assassin episode, does tom's son know what he did?
He figured it out in the last episode(July 24th). He shot Jordan during one of his sudden blackouts.
Old 08-01-05, 09:11 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what happened to Jordan? Did he disappear in a beam of light? Or did he ressurect? The 4400 abounds in mysteries and unanswered plot twists.
Old 08-01-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After the decent episode that caused me to start this thread, we've had 2 more 'meh' episodes in a row. Damn... I was hoping this was the start of something.

Not that the show is terrible, it's just seems to be running in place. It would be great if the writers would realize that they have a pretty decent premise here and actually shake things up. They seem to be on autopilot this season.
Old 08-02-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Yep I HATED the last episode. Dude going on about that doctor or whatever letting the others kill all those people. The main dude going off on him, going on about justice..blah blah blah...all the while they build up his son killed the leader of 4400. OMG i found that soooo damn annoying, and out of character for the guy(the main gov guy, forget his name) too.
Old 08-02-05, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone else think that the new lawyer for the 4400 center, looks a BIT like Jordan Collier if you were to shave off the beard? Hmm?
Old 08-02-05, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hahn
Anyone else think that the new lawyer for the 4400 center, looks a BIT like Jordan Collier if you were to shave off the beard? Hmm?
rkndkn did in Post #35.
Old 08-03-05, 08:57 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Somewhat egregious product placement...but they really stooped when they added it to the dialogue. For shame!
Old 08-03-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm beginning to think they Producers and Writers dont know where to go with the season. It's just been underwhelming for me. I did like the underwear scene though.
Old 08-05-05, 09:55 AM
Cool New Member

The 4400 is being broadcast in HDTV in ...

Now this makes a case for Internet downloads. I have commented in the past here about the plus 30 year old TV format that the USA network decided to use for airing season 2. Well guess what, in AUSTRALIA channel 10 in Sydney is airing the 4400 in glorious HDTV with virtualy no logo and in 16:9 aspect ratio every Tuesday at 8:30 PM. Now this means it must have been filmed in HDTV and the numbnuts of USA network decided to air it in the US in 4:3 plain vanilla format.

If ever anyone wanted to make a case for P2P downloads this is it. On the P2P networks the first two episodes are available in High Resolution HDTV 960x528 resolution. OK Australia is 6 episodes behind but what a difference:

SDTV 1

HR-HDTV 1

SDTV 2

HR-HDTV 2

Last edited by one2go; 08-05-05 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-05-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least the dvds are anamorphic widescreen (for season 1) ..Same thing for The Dead Zone ..and Monk ..they're broadcast 4:3 on USA but dvds are anamorphic widescreen..It's too bad there is no USA-HD or something but what can you do..maybe at some point Universal-HD will air more recent stuff that is not available or broadcast in HDTV on other channels (BSG was airing last season on Univ-HD in HDTV after season ended.)
Old 08-06-05, 06:37 AM
Cool New Member

This is exactly my point they air it in a horrible format and people will watch it. Then they air it in HDTV format to get e second audience and viewers who will want to watch it a second time. Spoon feeding drizzel and then decent format or people would want to buy the DVDs. Henceforth the point for Internet downloads. Channel 10 in Sydney airs it in HDTV for the first time 6 episodes behind the US and some excellent captures appear on the P2P that piss on everything that USA network airs quality wise. USA has the footage in HDTV format but decides not to air it, that is the compelling reason for not watching it and being deprived of a first class eye candy.
Old 08-06-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Another of these threads?

You realize that there is no USA HD channel, yet, right? The closest thing to it is Universal HD, which is typically reserved for Universal movies and reruns of other NBC shows. Until the rollout of Universal HD channel, I wouldn't bitch.
Old 08-06-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
The closest thing to it is Universal HD, which is typically reserved for Universal movies and reruns of other NBC shows.
They show a lot of other Universal-produced shows -- Battlestar Galactica, Monk, and Karen Sisco, to name a few -- and they had high-definition promos for The 4400 in rotation for a while, so it shouldn't have really caught anyone by surprise. Universal HD is kind of a wasteland at the moment since they've cycled through everything worthwhile at least 2 or 3 times, and their movie selection is pretty static. I agree that it is pretty ridiculous for one2go to rail into USA for not showing The 4400 in HD when they don't have a dedicated HD outlet. It's not like USA can just make their channel be high-definition for an hour every week or something.
Old 08-06-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whats frustrating is that both USA and FX have enough material to justify an HD channel and yet have made no indications to do so. I would watch some of these shows if they only came on in HD, but since they dont, theres enough stuff on the HD channels to fill my TV watching and then some.
Old 08-06-05, 03:34 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I agree that it is pretty ridiculous for one2go to rail into USA for not showing The 4400 in HD when they don't have a dedicated HD outlet. It's not like USA can just make their channel be high-definition for an hour every week or something.
The bitch is not as much for not airing it in HDTV as it is to air it in 4:3 aspect ratio. As I stated in my first message about my previous post to not have it in W.S. format. How would you feel if 33% of your work is being clipped due to being aired in a P&S fashion.

Nevertheless the case stands filmed in HDTV shown in SD 4:3 format "shudder".
Old 08-06-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by one2go
Nevertheless the case stands filmed in HDTV shown in SD 4:3 format "shudder".
Pretty much every single show on network television is the exact same way. Since it's known that the vast majority of the people who watch this shows will be doing it at 4x3, the center of the frame is protected. Sometimes the 4x3 framing takes precedence over the 16x9 framing.
Old 08-06-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I would think USA could even make some coin on this type of deal. I would pay some nominal fee to be able to download the HD broadcasts from them. With so little effort on their part, they would probably make more than if they sold the dvds, as I would probably not buy them.
Old 08-07-05, 06:55 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Since it's known that the vast majority of the people who watch this shows will be doing it at 4x3, the center of the frame is protected.
I am not sure that the vast majority watch it in 4:3. All the individuals in my circle of friends have WS TVs. With the popularity of TV shows on DVD many I know love the anarmorphic WS and get new sets to enjoy a richer viewing pleasure which is the bottom line. When this will be released on DVD it will be in WS format just not the live airing it is in 4:3 format

For me quality is top priority and the Australian posts on the net beat what the USA network airs, hands down. Not a tough decision what I would like to watch.
Old 08-07-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by kvrdave
With so little effort on their part, they would probably make more than if they sold the dvds, as I would probably not buy them.
I'd think the market for downloadable HD videos would be much, much, much smaller than buying a DVD set in a store.

Originally Posted by one2go
I am not sure that the vast majority watch it in 4:3.
They do. A TV show that sells a million units on DVD is considered a monstrous, runaway, mindboggling success. A network TV show with a million viewers is considered a failure. A very large percentage of the people with HDTVs don't even watch HD programming on it; at one time (not sure if it still is), that group represented the majority of HDTV owners.
Old 08-13-05, 01:38 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Yep I HATED the last episode. Dude going on about that doctor or whatever letting the others kill all those people. The main dude going off on him, going on about justice..blah blah blah...all the while they build up his son killed the leader of 4400. OMG i found that soooo damn annoying, and out of character for the guy(the main gov guy, forget his name) too.
I've been liking this show mostly, but I really hated how Tom was freaking out about the Rwanda guy. I wonder if the writers did it intentionally to show Tom as a hypocrite. I know it's his son, but it's a complete 180 from how he reacted to the Rwanda guy. His son should be quarantined even if it's not his fault.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.