Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else not find The Simpsons funny?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-11-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't want to thread crap a Simsons thread, so I thought I would just ask.

I don't get the Simpsons. I really do not find it funny at all. I have tried a bunch of times and just don't "get it" at all.

This hit home during a preview for "The Simpsons Movie" where people were laughing (not everyone) at most everything in the clip, but I did not find it funny at all. "Spiderpig" seemed to be especially funny to many, but I am not sure what exactly is funny about it.

On the other hand, I find Seinfield very funny. I have also noticed that a lot of peole hate Seinfield but find Simpsons funny. I am the opposite. Are they polar opposites of comedy.

I find a lot of things very funny, but not the Simpsons at all. It reminds me a little of The Far Side type of humour which I also find totall unfunny.

Anyone else?
Old 07-11-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
It hasn't been funny since the 90's for me. I find current episodes practically unwatchable, and the trailer didn't look special. I'm a huge huge huge fan of the 90's Simpsons though.
Your sentiments pretty much sums it up for me as well. I must say that I do find The Far Side funny.
Old 07-12-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It hasn't been funny since the 90's for me. I find current episodes practically unwatchable, and the trailer didn't look special. I'm a huge huge huge fan of the 90's Simpsons though.
Agreed. I also haven't seen a single thing in any of the movie trailers that looked funny to me, but I will still have to go see it just because it's the Simpsons.
Old 07-12-07, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnnysd
It reminds me a little of The Far Side type of humour which I also find totall unfunny.
You may not be human.
Old 07-12-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Simpsons quit being funny back in 1998. I stuck it out for some years in hopes that things would improve, but I had to quit the show completely in 2002.

I can't look at anything related to the movie without feeling it is at least 10 years too late.
Old 07-12-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't watched the Simpsons in years too. It was funny though. The animated shorts on Tracy Ullman are still a good look at how much potential this show had. I thought the trailers for the movie were very funny though. I haven't decided if I will watch The Movie. Timing is really off. If the reviews are mostly positive, I might see it.

As for Seinfeld, ugh...
Old 07-12-07, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Simpsons has sucked horribly since about 2000 or 2001. It completely jumped the shark at that point. In the '90's it was the funniest freakin' show on television. I think the first 6 or 7 seasons are just absolutely wonderful. It's almost like once Futurama started up, Matt Groening took all the funny out of the Simpsons and moved it over to Futurama.

Movie doesn't look funny either.

As for why it's not good anymore, well...

The characters are totally different. First, they're all jerks now. ALL of them. They're total assholes. I don't like any of them.

As for the plots, they're all recycled plots from the first 8 seasons. AND the type of comedy in the show is totally different.
Old 07-12-07, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't think the "Spider-Pig" thing was funny either. That's going to be one long cringe session for me when that scene finally appears in the actual film.
Old 07-12-07, 06:09 AM

It's not a matter of funny or not. Simpsons is a cartoon, which I eventually outgrew when I stopped being a kid. That's it. It doesn't appeal to adults. It's a fun, colorful cartoon for kids.
Old 07-12-07, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TyroneJordan
It's not a matter of funny or not. Simpsons is a cartoon, which I eventually outgrew when I stopped being a kid. That's it. It doesn't appeal to adults. It's a fun, colorful cartoon for kids.
Could not possibly disagree more.
Old 07-12-07, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
I haven't watched the Simpsons in years too. It was funny though. The animated shorts on Tracy Ullman are still a good look at how much potential this show had.

I would say that The Simpsons more than lived up to its potential....and then some. It was bound to lose quality after however many hundreds of episodes. I mean, they don't even age for christsakes. Only so many stories they can do.
Old 07-12-07, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saying The Simpsons hasnt been good since the 90s is just something everyone says because its what is expected of people. I bet the majority of people who continue to say that shit hasn't tried to watch an episode in a long time. Yes, the Simpsons hit a slump in terms of quality awhile back, but the show has returned to top form in the last few seasons. That is fact!
Old 07-12-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the blanket statement that "it doesn't appeal to adults".
Thanks for that.

Really...

Yet you watch Big Brother and American Idol

I'll take a bad Simpsons ep over "good" reality television any day...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 07-12-07 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-12-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No.
Old 07-12-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Simpsons was never for kids. I don't understand the argument that just because a show is animated it means it's for kids. Why does the medium matter?
Old 07-12-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
You may not be human.

No kidding. The Far Side is great.
Old 07-12-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well you certainly missed the entire point of the Simpsons. They are meant as an satirical take on the modern American family and popular culture, which a child would never get beyond the occasional sight gag.
Old 07-12-07, 08:55 AM

big whoppa
As for Seinfeld, ugh...
Welcome to the very small minority.

I feel your pain. First off The Simpsons is a funny show, It's not the funniest show in Television History, but it was funny until it went downhill after season 11.
Seinfeld on the other hand is a totally different case. That show should have stayed unwatched until it got cancelled & we wouldn't need to see or hear about it all the fucking time. Now I know that Scrubs for instance (which is my favorite comedy of all-time) some people might think of the characters as unlikable & indeed some of them are Narcissist's But the people on Seinfeld are incredibly unlikable & Jerry is way to big of a Narcissist to every stand watching. Elaine was just so damn annoying that you just want to strangle her, Kramer & George wern't that bad but that might have been more irritating if Jerry & Elaine wern't there.
To top it all off, It wasn't that hilarious as people claim it to be & I don't know why I hate it so much but it's bugged the living shit out of me why everyone holds it in a "Holy Regard" when in my opinion it's just another sitcom exept for the fact that they are a bunch of unlikable assholes.
I know Seinfeld is one of those untouchable shows where hardly no one dares say anything bad about the show but I really would like to know why people think it's so hilarious?
This is coming from the guy who loves sitcoms too. I guy I never understood the mass appeal of Seinfeld, Friends or Everybody Loves Raymond.
Old 07-12-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
The Simpsons lost me at "Do the Bartman." After that, I was out and haven't gone back since.
Old 07-12-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I enjoyed seasons 2-5 or so. Haven't watched it much since then. Every once in a while I'll catch an episode and get a chuckle or two, but I don't think it's as good as it once was.

That said, I thought the movie trailers were pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 07-12-07, 09:22 AM

JuryDuty
I enjoyed seasons 2-5 or so. Haven't watched it much since then. Every once in a while I'll catch an episode and get a chuckle or two, but I don't think it's as good as it once was.

That said, I thought the movie trailers were pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
I highly recommend you see seasons 6-9 those are also "The Golden Years" of The Simpsons.
Old 07-12-07, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lara Means
Saying The Simpsons hasnt been good since the 90s is just something everyone says because its what is expected of people. I bet the majority of people who continue to say that shit hasn't tried to watch an episode in a long time. Yes, the Simpsons hit a slump in terms of quality awhile back, but the show has returned to top form in the last few seasons. That is fact!
Old 07-12-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
Seinfeld on the other hand is a totally different case. That show should have stayed unwatched until it got cancelled & we wouldn't need to see or hear about it all the fucking time. Now I know that Scrubs for instance (which is my favorite comedy of all-time) some people might think of the characters as unlikable & indeed some of them are Narcissist's But the people on Seinfeld are incredibly unlikable & Jerry is way to big of a Narcissist to every stand watching. Elaine was just so damn annoying that you just want to strangle her, Kramer & George wern't that bad but that might have been more irritating if Jerry & Elaine wern't there.
To top it all off, It wasn't that hilarious as people claim it to be & I don't know why I hate it so much but it's bugged the living shit out of me why everyone holds it in a "Holy Regard" when in my opinion it's just another sitcom exept for the fact that they are a bunch of unlikable assholes.
I know Seinfeld is one of those untouchable shows where hardly no one dares say anything bad about the show but I really would like to know why people think it's so hilarious?
Old 07-12-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw the "Spider-Pig" portion of the movie preview for the first time this past weekend at Transformers, and I have to say that it was one of the funniest Simpsons related things I've seen in a while. I wasn't 100% before, but I will definitely be going to see the movie after that.

I'm also in the camp that thinks the show lost something in the second half of it's existence. The charm just isn't there anymore. I still catch 2-3 episodes of the new seasons, but it's seemed pretty lifeless to me. The first 9 seasons or so, however, are without a doubt some of the funniest, most creative television EVER witnessed by mankind, be it animated or real life*.

*2nd only to Seinfeld perhaps...

Last edited by dadaluholla; 07-12-07 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-12-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Shitting on Seinfeld by nateman241: A brief history of nateman241's hatred towards Seinfeld. Recollect all his greatest hits in this 7 posts recollection.

In other words: :notrolls:

As for the topic at hand, I watched off and on the first few seasons and catch an episode every once and a while but the Simpsons never struck a chord with me. It's not that it wasn't funny, just not my type of humor. Personally I think the movie is about 13 years too late.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.