Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV Guide's Top 30 Cult Shows

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess Highlander isn't as popular amongst fellow geeks as I thought? Damn.

And in no way is Angel superior to BtVS! Except for Wesley. Wesley did perhaps have the best character arc of any major player in either series.

And what about The Addams Family? or Buck Rogers? And I'll still take the original Battlestar over the new one.

Last edited by Amel; 07-02-07 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-02-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Glad to see several people already mentioned Arrested Development.
Old 07-02-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Amel
I guess Highlander isn't as popular amongst fellow geeks as I thought? Damn.

And in no way is Angel superior to BtVS! Except for Wesley. Wesley did perhaps have the best character arc of any major player in either series.

And what about The Addams Family? or Buck Rogers? And I'll still take the original Battlestar over the new one.
Even though the new Battlestar is 100 times better than the original, the original is the definition of a cult show. Cancelled after one season and fans that won't even watch the remake. I know that lists can't satify everybody but, come on do the people that made this actually watch television?
Old 07-02-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Maybe "Cult" means "shows in which the obsessive fans have a nickname" for this list...

Star Trek => Trekkies or Trekkers (so obsessive, they have TWO nicknames!)

The X-Files => X-Philes

Firefly => Browncoats

LOST => LOSTies

etc.
Old 07-03-07, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my opinion, TV on DVD has reduced the cult status of many shows, since they're readily available now. No longer do you have to make sure you're at home at a certain time or try to contact other fans to get other episodes. Fans in the past would have been happy to get third generation bootleg VHS tapes, just so they could watch the series or feel envious of someone else who is able to score a set.
Nowadays, there's less commitment to a series if you're easily able to order the complete series and have it shipped to you. And if you can pop in an episode whenever you want, there's less initiative to chat about it.

Not that TV on DVD is a bad thing, it just takes away a certain aspect of the charm.
Old 07-03-07, 08:46 PM

What about Roswell?
Old 07-04-07, 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cop Rock.

Just kidding.

Actually, I think "The Honeymooners" could qualify due to the fact that it remains hugely influential although only 39 "classic" episodes were produced (not counting all the shorter sketches done for Jackie Gleason's various shows). The show was certainly mainstream in its day but (to me) has taken the big step into "cult" status since it is highly visible today through such derivatives as The Flintstones & King of Queens and catchphrases such as "To the moon, Alice!". To me, it seems that The Honeymooners achieved a legendary reputation for high quality comedy that extended to generations who weren't even born when the show aired during the mid-50's (similar to the reputation and influence of Twilight Zone). While I personally think the show is overrated (probably because of its lack of subtlety), I would still nominate it for the list.
Old 07-05-07, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Now that I think of it, On top of the shows I have mentioned in my previous post, I think Bewitched should definitely be on the list as well.

I still like Bewitched & buy the seasons when they come out on DVD. even through I don't it's a real funny comedy I still find it entertaining but It's probally more of a Nostalgic value show for me now.
Their are crazy die hard fans for Bewitched & I'm shocked that it didn't make the list either.
Althrough I find I Love Lucy overrated (I'm one of the few who can't stand her) I think it should be on the list as well cause I know there is still die hard fans for this show as well.
I guess any show has its die hard fans & TV Guide should have made a 50 or 100 list of Top Cult Shows....We would still bitch!
Old 07-06-07, 09:38 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now for something completely different ... Give or take a show, it's actually one of TV Guide's better lists.
Old 07-06-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Now for something completely different ... Give or take a show, it's actually one of TV Guide's better lists.
It's sad because It's true! way better than that top 100 greatest shows ever list they made back in 2002.
Old 07-08-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think "The Wire" should be on there.