Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC wooing Jon Stewart for "Late Night"

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
Since Stewart's a producer on Colbert (not to mention, Stewart has said that they actually have an hour-long show with two hosts hosting each half), I'm assuming that they're kind of a package deal, and if Stewart left, so would Colbert, either with Stewart or on his own.
He says that, but I see more distance between the shows, not less. The tosses went from an every night thing to twice a week, and they've done exactly one cross-appearance since the Report started. Plus, there's no reason that Stewart couldn't keep producing the Report if he left TDS- I don't imagine he has much to do with it now.
Old 06-27-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
He says that, but I see more distance between the shows, not less. The tosses went from an every night thing to twice a week, and they've done exactly one cross-appearance since the Report started. Plus, there's no reason that Stewart couldn't keep producing the Report if he left TDS- I don't imagine he has much to do with it now.
Exactly. Stewart producing the show is probably mostly a business type of thing and would be governed by the rules of business. If CC offers $20 million for a set amount of time and NBC offers $30 million, I could definitely see Stewart taking the far larger amount of money while still doing business with CC. In fact, I wonder if CC wouldn't then enter into some sort of next day relationship with NBC.
Old 06-28-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
If the cost of keeping Jon exceeds their projected cost of finding that new 11:30 show for what would be after Colbert at that point, heck yes I imagine they'd want to go in that direction. We know the financial people will be driving whatever decision is made.
That's an "if" and a big "if" at that. An "anchor show" at a network, like The Daily Show is at CC, is so important that simply breaking even or taking a loss on it is OK because it draws viewers to their channel. It is true that the strong success of The Colbert Report has taken some of the pressure off Comedy Central to retain Jon Stewart at all costs, but NBC will need to be willing to pay Stewart a ridiculously high sum of money to beat whatever Comedy Central would probably be willing to pay to keep him. It could happen, but Comedy Central won't let him go without a fight.

However, if NBC really did succeed at luring Jon Stewart away, expect The Colbert Report to move to 11:00pm as a lead-in to The Daily Show at 11:30pm with a new host, because then TCR would be the anchor show for the network and they would use it as such in hopes that its viewers stick around for the new version of TDS.

Also, when does that new Lewis Black show start? If that's a success, it'll give CC more options if the scenario of Stewart leaving happens.

Last edited by dhmac; 06-28-07 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-17-07, 12:31 PM
Suspended

As the Late-Night World Turns...
by Joal Ryan
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 03:56:39 PM PDT

Is there going to be a sequel to The Late Shift?

A report in Monday's Los Angeles Times said NBC's best laid succession plans for The Tonight Show might be threatened by Jay Leno rethinking retirement.

The article, citing "three people familiar with the situation," said Leno, despite signing off on an NBC announcement two years ago to set his retirement date for 2009, "doesn't want to go."

Conan O'Brien, late of NBC's Late Night, is supposed to move into Leno's old job (and the network's planned new digs) when—if?—Leno steps aside.

In the newspaper, NBC executive Marc Graboff is quoted as saying the network (a) wants to stay in the Leno business (a business that is "beyond late night") and (b) has no plans to not turn over TV's top-rated late-night show to O'Brien.

"We had to make a choice because we didn't want to lose Conan," Graboff told the Times. "We feel that we made the right choice."

An NBC spokeswoman said Graboff was quoted accurately.

Neither Leno nor O'Brien speaks for himself in the article.

The Times story doesn't get anyone to talk on the record about Leno's supposed ennui, but describes the hardworking comic as "frustrated," and "reluctant to retire from late night."

Last week, NBC announced it was selling its famed "beautiful downtown Burbank" digs, the longtime headquarters of The Tonight Show. Leno was expected to remain at the current location and O'Brien was due to christen the new set, which will be built near parent company Universal Studios.

In 2005, when NBC announced the planned O'Brien-for-Leno substitution, Leno released a statement saying he'd promised his wife, Mavis, that he'd take her out to dinner before he turned 60.

Leno will be 59 in 2009.

"When I signed my new contract," Leno was quoted as saying, "I felt that the timing was right to plan for my successor, and there is no one more qualified than Conan."

NBC pushed for the succession announcement in order to keep the younger and in-demand O'Brien in the network fold. Now, according to the Times, if the network doesn't give O'Brien the 11:35 p.m. time slot in 2009, it'll be on the hook for $40 million—the price you apparently pay when you break a promise to a man with a good agent.

Another scenario—recalling Late Shift, the book and movie about the behind-the-scenes machinations leading up to Johnny Carson's final days on The Tonight Show—would see Leno leaving, O'Brien moving in...and Leno moving on to another network in his old Tonight Show time slot. According to the Times, ABC or Fox would be the most likely suitors for the reluctant retiree.

In 1991-92, Carson's own pending retirement set in motion the chain of events that led to O'Brien's late-night career. Leno, then the Tonight guest host, was named Carson's successor. That one announcement ticked off David Letterman (who hosted Late Night for NBC), briefly caused NBC to consider rescinding its job offer to Leno and making one to Letterman instead, prompted Letterman to leave NBC for CBS and The Late Show and led to NBC hiring the then-unknown O'Brien to become the new Late Night host.

At least this time around, Letterman won't be in play.

Per a deal announced in late 2006, Letterman is locked in at The Late Show through 2010. It's not known if, at the end of his current contract, Letterman intends to retire.
Old 10-17-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I would not be surprised if Leno feels differently in 2009. This is all based on his feelings today. Alot can change in two years.
Old 10-17-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Sorry, but these new posts don't have anything to do with Jon Stewart.

You need to be here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=514308
Old 10-18-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well guess it's not gonna happen for NBC...
http://news.aol.com/entertainment/st...18192009990008
Old 10-18-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We still have a couple of years. If this is a big enough priority for NBC, any one of a number of things could possibly be worked out.
Old 10-18-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if Stewart is eying the CBS gig presuming Letterman retires. He could have gotten a longer extension if he wanted, and this deal takes him off the table for NBC's 2009 shakeup, which would seem like a great time to take CC to the cleaners.
Old 10-18-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
I wonder if Stewart is eying the CBS gig presuming Letterman retires. He could have gotten a longer extension if he wanted, and this deal takes him off the table for NBC's 2009 shakeup, which would seem like a great time to take CC to the cleaners.
With the extension, Stewart's CC contract ends at the same time as Letterman's deal at CBS. Coincidence? I think not.