Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II (merged)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 04:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Here are examples of shows that ended well for me.
Mesh
Buffy
Cowboy Bebop
OZ (though I hated the ended to that)
ALF
Babylon 5
Deep Space 9
Quantum Leap
V

Here are examples that didn't end well
Drive
Firefly
Blade
Angel (though I liked it)
you must hate or not understand a lot a lot of movies.
Old 12-28-08, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Navinabob
As for the Sopranos... You only need to go back and rewatch the last few episodes to realize he died there. His brother-in-law and him have that little talk on the boat where they set up how getting "whacked" would feel like, never see or feel it, everything just going "black". That sound like the ending now? The director said afterward that it was not an ambiguous ending, that all the clues were there to know exactly what had happened in that diner.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...ehind_the.html

Chase says that Tony did not get whacked, as many fans speculated when their screens faded to black following the restaurant scene that ended the storied TV series
"There are no esoteric clues in there. No 'Da Vinci Code,"' Chase states matter-of-factly.
Old 12-29-08, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, but the full quote (not just the one from the article) offers a different slant... "There are no esoteric clues in there. No Da Vinci Code. Everything that pertains to that episode was in that episode. And it was in the episode before that and the one before that and seasons before this one and so on. There had been indications of what the end is like. Remember when Gerry Torciano was killed? Silvio was not aware that the gun had been fired until after Jerry was on his way down to the floor. That's the way things happen: It's already going on by the time you even notice it."

Couple that with an interview between Richard Belzer and Chase and the dead-Tony-view starts to get clearer...

Belzer: I was working with Steve Schirripa recently, we were judging Last Coming Standing for NBC and we were talking about a lot of things and he was saying he heard all of these theories for the show that had nothing to do with your intention and wasn't anything the actors thought, like little hints along the way, like a word, like when Tony and Steve are on the boat at the lake and they say "you never know it's gonna happen" or "you never know it's gonna hit you."

Chase: That was part of the ending.

Belzer: Oh, it was? See, what do I know? Were there other things in previous episodes that were hints towards it?

Chase: There was that and there was a shooting which Silvio was a witness, well he wasn't a witness, he was eating dinner with a couple of hookers and with some other guy and there was some visual stuff that went on there which sort of amplified Tony's remarks to Bacala about you know "you don't know it's happened" or "you won't know it happened when it hits you". That's about it.
Old 12-29-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Believe me, everyone has heard of the theory. (and that's what it is) It still sucked ass. It's not like "Oh, Tony died at the end? Then the episode was fantastic!" It sucked. There's nothing I'm not getting. It was crap.
Old 12-29-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that if there's one thing (particularly American) audiences can't stand, it's ambiguity.
Old 12-29-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I've come to the conclusion that if there's one thing (particularly American) audiences can't stand, it's ambiguity.
And it's hard to blame them. You invest several seasons in a show, the characters, and want some kind of closure. It's human nature.

The ending to the Sopranos seemed incredibly contrived to me. It was very much out of character for the show and seemed forced. Truthfully, I have no idea if Tony died or lived with any degree of certainty. But despite Chase's efforts, I don't care anymore either.
Old 12-29-08, 02:59 PM

i really liked the ending. i was emotional, still remember it and left to my own devices for the finality. would i have also loved something more definitive, of course. did we get it, not really.

but i honestly wasn't disappointed in the least and didn't think it was out of character for such an epic show that was hard to decipher along the way.

how many times have shows ended in the wrong way?? many, right? would you have wanted "The Sopranos" to go out like "Seinfeld" did?
Old 12-29-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott1598
i really liked the ending. i was emotional, still remember it and left to my own devices for the finality. would i have also loved something more definitive, of course. did we get it, not really.

but i honestly wasn't disappointed in the least and didn't think it was out of character for such an epic show that was hard to decipher along the way.

how many times have shows ended in the wrong way?? many, right? would you have wanted "The Sopranos" to go out like "Seinfeld" did?
I'm not sure you understand the ending of Seinfeld. It was very good...they paid the price for their years of ambivalence. It was apropos. But at least you knew their fates.
Old 12-29-08, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm not sure you understand the ending of Seinfeld. It was very good...they paid the price for their years of ambivalence. It was apropos. But at least you knew their fates.
huh? the entire premise of the show was truly remarkable...it was a show about nothing. the ending was the anti-thesis of the existence of the show and i don't think it was apropos (for this show) in the least. the only times where "Seinfeld" faltered was when they had shows about something that continued...the whole "The Pilot" storyline was against what the show was about and i think the weakest of the episodes. yes, i understood what the last show was about and yes it was justified for their characters and made sense if it were real life, but not justified for what this whole series was created around. i think fading to black would have been more apropos for "Seinfeld" then for "The Sopranos". very bad!

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-29-08 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-29-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well Scott, reasonable minds will differ, greatly, in this example
Old 12-29-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
I still recall watching the episode air with my wife. It cut to black, and for a moment we were afraid our reception had gone out on us. When the credits came up, my wife got even angrier. I laughed, which only made her madder still. I thought it was the perfect ending. It never really even occurred to me that perhaps the screen going black was Tony dying.

A pet peeve of mine has always been a TV series that ends by dispatching all the characters. It worked for M*A*S*H because they only came together because of the war. Otherwise, characters shouldn't all die or move away or get married or experience any other major, life-altering events simply because the series is coming to an end. Life goes on for your friends and family when you're not there with them; the same ought to be true of fictitious characters.

Having said all that, I still want someone to address the issue of Paulie turning witness, which came up in one solitary scene and was never referenced again the remainder of the series.
Old 12-29-08, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Well Scott, reasonable minds will differ, greatly, in this example
k.
Old 12-29-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Just because it got buried a few pages back, I thought I might resurrect my previous link to
The Definitive Explanation of "The End"
I think it's the best, most comprehensive and well-explained essay on this episode (or perhaps of any TV episode). I think you might have a greater appreciation for "Made In America" once you read this piece (but be warned : it's insanely long).
Old 12-30-08, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Just because it got buried a few pages back, I thought I might resurrect my previous link to
I think it's the best, most comprehensive and well-explained essay on this episode (or perhaps of any TV episode). I think you might have a greater appreciation for "Made In America" once you read this piece (but be warned : it's insanely long).
Very good write up even after reading the directors comments.
Old 12-30-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
funny that people still care
Old 12-30-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Having said all that, I still want someone to address the issue of Paulie turning witness, which came up in one solitary scene and was never referenced again the remainder of the series.
I don't recall that scene. Which episode?
Old 12-30-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I have just read page 1 and that is a fantastic (and incredibly plausible) explanation to the end of the show. I always bought into the "life goes on" theory, but man this is changing my mind.

Also, I have been meaning to watch all 86 episodes again, and now this gives me a perfect reason to do so. Thanks for re-posting that.
Old 12-30-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The FBI had some old guy helping them. The old guy dies so they go looking for a new guy. After the initial meet up nothing else is said about it.
Old 12-30-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Exactly. (I see Baron of Hell has already answered the question.)
Old 08-28-09, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II (merged)

I just watched the entire series throughout the last several months. Before I had just seen bits and pieces throughout the years as I watched on with others.

I remember hearing about the controversy surrounding the last episode. And I have to agree that on some surface it feels like a cop out. But on the other hand I think I like the ambiguity. Not knowing exactly. You can think about it all blowing over and everything actually working out well for Tony Soprano. Or maybe not... but I'm glad I don't know one way or another. Because when I watch the series I'll still be curious.
Old 08-28-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for reposting that. I just read most of part one and two and I have to completely agree with the writer. There is nothing else it could have been. I am now going to rewatch the entire last season.
Old 08-28-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Reading it now, very long. Very well put together though. One thing I will say is I take a little offense to Chase chastising the audience for "cheering" Tony on. Personally, I watched because the show was fascinating, but I can't remember ever liking Tony. I never once thought he was a nice guy, or someone I wanted to "win." He wasn't even really a lesser of evils most of the time. He was just fascinating to watch. I did want him to get punished, but I wasn't dying to see him get punished. Reading the article does give me more appreciation for the ending though.
Old 08-28-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Reading it now, very long. Very well put together though. One thing I will say is I take a little offense to Chase chastising the audience for "cheering" Tony on. Personally, I watched because the show was fascinating, but I can't remember ever liking Tony. I never once thought he was a nice guy, or someone I wanted to "win." He wasn't even really a lesser of evils most of the time. He was just fascinating to watch. I did want him to get punished, but I wasn't dying to see him get punished. Reading the article does give me more appreciation for the ending though.
Agree.
Old 08-28-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't think people watched "gleefully" to see Tony "rob, kill, pillage, lie, and cheat." (quoting Chase). If all Tony did was eat corn flakes every episode there wouldn't have been much of a point to the series. If you make a show about mob guys, shouldn't they at least occasionally do what mob guys do? If I watch a well done series on the Third Reich am I doing it to gleefully cheer for my alter ego Adolph Hitler? Just more contempt shown by Chase towards the people who made him fabulously wealthy.
Old 08-29-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
The FBI had some old guy helping them. The old guy dies so they go looking for a new guy. After the initial meet up nothing else is said about it.

I believe it was Raymond Curto that was helping the FBI. And yes they never really did delve into it much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.