Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

John From Cincinnati -01 : 6/10/07

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 10:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruce Greenwood is a hell of an actor. Lets hope the quality of the writing improves.

BTW: I had no idea Jesus was from Ohio?!?!?!
Old 06-13-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't understand why HBO would cancel one of their best shows (Deadwood) only to let Milch do something that is completely amorphous and is getting bashed by the critics? Is it that much cheaper to make that HBO doesn't care?

I agree completely. They gave up Deadwood for this crap?!

Plus I echo the WTF comments about this program. The religious overtones are one sure way for me to say no thanks.

Hard imagining Rebecca DeMornay as a grandmother, but I guess she is that old now.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-13-07 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-13-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I'm guessing this show costs less than a quarter of what Deadwood did, so even if they get half the viewers (or sell half the dvds), they'll still make more money - which is their ultimate goal.
Old 06-13-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
I'm guessing this show costs less than a quarter of what Deadwood did
If that. I bet they film half of it in Milch's backyard.

It's not a Deadwood vs. John from Cincy thing anyway. HBO made a conscious decision to cut back on the ridiculously expensive period pieces (Carnivale, Rome, Deadwood) in favor of more reasonably priced entertainment. You can't blame them either, because no one watched these shows but us. And it doesn't mean the reasonably priced entertainment will suck. The Wire's the best show they have, and it's not that expensive, and The Sopranos wasn't that expensive either until it became a megahit and they had to pay off the actors. John just happens to have Milch and be the first out of the gate since these other shows went away, but it's not like a FOX situation where they canceled one good show specifically to make room for another shitty show.

das
Old 06-13-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I'm guessing this show costs less than a quarter of what Deadwood did, so even if they get half the viewers (or sell half the dvds), they'll still make more money - which is their ultimate goal.
From what I've read Deadwood costed well over $5M an episode. I highly doubt this show costs anywhere near that.

I haven't really watched this yet, but I noticed Milch recruited some NYPD Blue Alumnus to work on this show: Bill Clark and Mark Tinker. I'm surprised that Clark would have anything useful to offer this show since he's a former NYPD cop and has only worked on Police procedurals.
Old 06-14-07, 09:51 AM

So, the wife and I finally sat down and watched this last night.

One word for this show: AWFUL!

It's like they took the last few episodes of Deadwood and tried to transfer it to SoCal. You can literally watch it and pick out who is playing what character from Deadwood. The constant F bombs seemed in character for Deadwoodians, but for this show, it's just ridiculous and over the top.

We had trouble making it through the whole episode because we were spending so much time calling out who was playing Seth Bullock, who was playing Joanie, etc. Just awful.
Old 06-14-07, 10:21 AM

I've watched two episodes of John From Cincinnati now and like it a lot. It is out there and weird, but what's bad about that? I don't want to watch any more shows about lawyers and doctors and chefs and the sexual tension between the man and the woman who finally get together after the 3rd season. I'm fed up with predictable, quirky sitcoms with big, fat dads with unaccountable hot wives, and kids making sassy comments before going to their rooms.

John from Cincinnati is showing us something unusual about life and perceived miracles. Other than making a show called The Lives of the Saints, I don't know how else you would be able to incorporate those themes into a drama. Setting the show on the beach and in the context of surfing is just as good any other.

It's true that David Milch likes to stick to certain character types, like cops and junkies and whores who use overly formal words mixed with profanity. But that's a device and I think it works well. John, the character, is what keeps me fascinated. How do you embody karma as a character? Can they pull it off? I think they can.
Old 06-16-07, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I REALLY, REALLY enjoyed the premiere episode. It was very intriguing and entertaining. The surfing scenes were gorgeous and the nostalgic feel of it all was amazing.
Old 06-16-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The premier was 2 hours, right? It sure seemed like it.
Old 06-16-07, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by movielib
The premier was 2 hours, right? It sure seemed like it.
I believe it was 1 hour. Did it drag along like 2 hours for you?

Chris
Old 06-16-07, 12:53 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
I caught the premiere last night and was definitely not impressed.

I'll continue to tune in for another week or two to see how it progresses.
Old 06-16-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I believe it was 1 hour. Did it drag along like 2 hours for you?

Chris
I turned it off when the third hour started.
Old 06-16-07, 08:18 PM
CML
Cool New Member

Earl Brown posted a message on the HBO boards. He states that before the cancellation, HBO originally wanted Milch to do both Deadwood and JFC.

Here's the Earl Brown message and the link (http://boards.hbo.com/click.jspa?sea...ID=700556071):
Like any complicated situation, there are a myriad of reasons "why" DW was axed. To reiterate what Jim said, David planned on having mulitiple shows on the air. He told me at the beginning season 3 that he had a couple of other shows in development at HBO. His plan, as spoken to me at the time, was to segue into a new show (there was one other in addition to a "surfing show"), and take on a Overseer role on DW. He planned on leaving the show in hands of "a core of people who understand our show and how it works."

Truth be told, I was mortified to be on the "core" list. I knew then, and still believe now, that without that manic, obsessive/complusive, bi-polar, genius Mind at the helm with his thumb stuck firmly in ever pie on the Deadwood shelf, that the show would not be the same. I did not want to have a hand on wheel as we steered the ship into the malestrom. It would not have been as good and I knew it.

It is way too late in the game to be laying blame. Shit happens. The decision to axe the show affected many of us in profound ways. But, like I said, shit happens. While I do think the final decision lay at Chris' feet, in hindsight, I can see reasons why he made the choices he did. I did not agree with them, but then, I wasn't the guy in charge of a billion dollar corporation.

Pointing fingers is not going to get anything solved. HBO is still paying rental on set dressing and costumes for DW. If DW had no possibilty at further life, they would not be spending that coin.

Just write to the "new" Powers That Be at HBO and let them know what you want. You're paying for it, so make your desires known. Maybe they're listening. I don't think any of them want to be known as "the guy who put the final nail in the coffin." It is obvious that folks at coporate know what they had in DEADWOOD -- else they never would be promoting the new show as "From the Producers of DW."

Earl

Last edited by CML; 06-16-07 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-16-07, 10:50 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I found the premiere to be very intriguing. Unlike most of you, I'm happy with what I saw and will be back for more.
Old 06-16-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
I just finished watching the series premiere and this is one of the strangest shows I have ever seen. I'm intrigued enough to see where this show is going for the next 11 episodes.
Old 06-19-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Finally watched the premiere last night. It intrigued me enough to keep me watching. Can't believe all the bashing it's receiving. I loved Deadwood just as much as anyone here, but I'm not going to take it out on this show.
Old 06-19-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
I finally watched the premiere myself and I have to agree with a lot of the comments already posted.

This was an obvious attempt to be David Lynch that went horribly wrong. The dialog is pretty bad, the F-bombs were excessive, John is already annoying and the acting from Shaun Yost, Kai and Grandma Yost are unbelievably bad, while Butchie just chewed up the scenery with his acting.

Bruce Greenwood is good as always.

I'll watch a few more episodes to see if this is going anywhere, but my patience is already wearing thin.
Old 06-20-07, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
I kind of like it. Some of the symbolism is obvious, but I have certainly never seen anything like it before. I am curious to see where it goes. On the bad side, seeing all the DW actors makes me really pissed that we no longer have one of the better shows I have ever seen anymore.