Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 (WARNING SPOILERS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gkleinman
Yeah, really great piece. I think he puts it in perspective very well.

Thanks for the link.
Are you sure? Cause he used phrases like "wrapped in a bow" and "spoon-fed".

I totally agree with this fellow's comment - perfectly describes what I've been arguing:
imagine a world where our storytellers would trust we were smart enough and mature enough to accept the kind of terminal ambiguity we got tonight. I want to live in that world and I'm glad I did.
Old 06-10-07, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
the last few minutes were good at building tension but then bam.... nothing.... because we didnt know what was going to happen....
It was basically a big cock-tease. Not cool.......
Old 06-10-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
This is a representation of the most beautiful object in the world --

>*<

How does everyone interpret it?

Wow, I'm an artist!

The fact that you state that it's "the most beautiful object in the world" is exactly what a real artist would NOT do.

Never mind. Enjoy the new Michael Bay movie.
Old 06-10-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cracksky
As the final scene was unfolding, it was becoming perfectly clear to me what was happening and by the time it cut to black with Journey's line, "Don't Stop..." and the moments of blackness then silent credits, I was sure the diner was no more. The nervous guy at the bar waiting for his moment to head to the bathroom. Looks middle-eastern. Could be connected to the terrorists that Tony has been helping to get nabbed. Could be a suicide-bomber sent in to wipe out Tony. The family is collateral damage. Meadow would be a bonus if she could figure out how to parallel park already. She finally parks and is running across the street. Tony looks up. "Don't Stop..." The song is cut off because the jukebox is gone. The diner is gone. The family is gone. The Sopranos are gone.

That's how it ended for me and I got chills.
Well, in THAT case the finale isn't so ridiculous anymore. That does explain the sudden and shocking end....
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Enjoy the new Michael Bay movie.
Oh, come on, Transformers looks awesome.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me the end means that everyone in the diner is in a tv show about a mob boss and his family and the viewer shuts off the tv because the show is crap.
Old 06-10-07, 11:58 PM
Banned

All we know is that someone entered the diner and the bell rang. Probably Meadow, but maybe actually Tony's fate. Brilliant.
....and an angel got his wings. And Tony Soprano is the richest man in New Jersey!
Old 06-11-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know how people can say the ending was great...since there wasn't an ending.

Fucking ridiculously stupid.
Old 06-11-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how the HBO.com episode synopsis reads. Then again, the 6FU synopsis doesn't even mention the end death scenes.
Old 06-11-07, 12:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I loved the whole "Made in America" concept, itself a double entendre and beautifully executed throughout the episode. As for the ending, I don't have a big problem with it. It's a little obvious and "look at me", but I'm fine with it. It's entirely in keeping with the style of this show, and it created good tension at the end of a relatively meandering episode. Still, having spent this weekend watching the 5th season of Six Feet Under, crippled once again by its gut-wrenchingly brilliant finale, I find it incredibly difficult to get worked up one way or the other by this episode.

das
i've never seen one episode of this show but am curious as to why the finale was so great

Last edited by JZ1276; 06-11-07 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-11-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
It was slightly annoying, but I knew we weren't going to get a neat everything tied up ending. I think the ending was perfectly suitable, basically same-old same-old for Tony Soprano. After everything that happened he's still survived and pretty much in the same place he's always been.
Old 06-11-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JZ1276
i've never seen one episode of this show but am curious as to why the finale was so great
PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T discuss the Six Feet Under finale. (Or at least spoilerize it)

I'm working my way through the final season now and have amazingly avoided any references to what happens.
Old 06-11-07, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,251 Likes on 4,272 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276
Most of that finale was pretty mundane, but the final ten minutes were so exquisite and brilliant and heartbreaking and completely satisfying all at the same time. It was a masterpiece. Made In America was most decidedly not.
Old 06-11-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stolen from Fark:
Old 06-11-07, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T discuss the Six Feet Under finale. (Or at least spoilerize it)

I'm working my way through the final season now and have amazingly avoided any references to what happens.
RUN FROM THE THREAD NOW!!!! Stop arguing about The Sopranos. Stop reading my post. RUN. You cannot trust us. Someone will ruin it for you now that we brought it up. Why are you still reading my post? I told you to RUN!

das
Old 06-11-07, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the HBO forums to the Something Awful forums to this forum:

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but its interesting:
From the HBO forums:

quote:

"WOW!!!! AMAZING!!!

OK, at first I was really angry. I mean really, really angry. I can't believe though that no-one has posted by now what happened. The only thing I saw that was right, was that in the last scene we are seeing through Tony's eyes. Remember when he was speaking with Bobby...basically saying that you don't see it happening?

So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just as we have to say goodbye, so does he. No more Tony and I guess we are supposed to be happy that Meadow didn't get clipped as well (she would have been between the shooter and Tony) since she is the only one worth a crap in that family.

Thank you David Chase for making it so obscure that I feel bad for hating you at first. Absolutely amazing!!!!"
I was half-watching the credits and didn't see any listing for "Nikki Leotardo" (nor am I buying his third paragraph about the people in the restaurant), but I could have easily missed it.

But if it's true, that might lend a bit of closure to the people who wanted a definitive ending.
Old 06-11-07, 12:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Does everything have to be spoon fed and underlined?
Fucking A Bubba!

I just don't get these people that have basically watched the past three or four seasons and bitched about practically every episode, just because this person didn't get whacked or this and that was left open ended. The Sopranos was the most well written show I have ever watched. If you need to have everything spoon fed to you the are hundreds of other shows on that will be glad to accommodate you. I can't speak for aspects of mafia life but this show was a better study of the realities and of modern life than any ten of the so called reality shows out there. I have loved every second of the Sopranos, some more than others but thank you David Chase and everyone involved with bringing it to us. "Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
Old 06-11-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
The more you think about it, the more you realize that no one would be pleased by any ending, and that they actually went out the only way they could. It was great.
Old 06-11-07, 12:42 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
From the HBO forums to the Something Awful forums to this forum:

I was half-watching the credits and didn't see any listing for "Nikki Leotardo" (nor am I buying his third paragraph about the people in the restaurant), but I could have easily missed it.

But if it's true, that might lend a bit of closure to the people who wanted a definitive ending.
If all of those actors really are who the guy says they are, then I like the ending even less.
Old 06-11-07, 12:44 AM
Banned

So, at some point can we see the other two endings that were supposedly filmed?

I'd like to pick my own ending from the three....
Old 06-11-07, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,251 Likes on 4,272 Posts
Originally Posted by jaelliot
Fucking A Bubba!

I just don't get these people that have basically watched the past three or four seasons and bitched about practically every episode, just because this person didn't get whacked or this and that was left open ended. The Sopranos was the most well written show I have ever watched. If you need to have everything spoon fed to you the are hundreds of other shows on that will be glad to accommodate you. I can't speak for aspects of mafia life but this show was a better study of the realities and of modern life than any ten of the so called reality shows out there. I have loved every second of the Sopranos, some more than others but thank you David Chase and everyone involved with bringing it to us. "Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
The Sopranos was perhaps the greatest tv drama ever, but don't try to tell me that it didn't go out on a sour note because it did. It had the same "screw you America" feel that Larry David gave the finale of Sinefeld, and just like that brilliant series, I think a little of The Sopranos legacy will suffer for it.
Old 06-11-07, 12:46 AM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
I took a screen capture of the last shot before the edit. It's not as ambiguous as we thought!

Old 06-11-07, 12:47 AM
Banned by request

Old 06-11-07, 12:48 AM
Banned

The fact that you state that it's "the most beautiful object in the world" is exactly what a real artist would NOT do.

Never mind. Enjoy the new Michael Bay movie.
Does it have an ending....?

(BTW, as a David Lynch fan, you may not want to be siting up so high on your high horse. Seriously dude....)
Old 06-11-07, 12:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ben12
I took a screen capture of the last shot before the edit. It's not as ambiguous as we thought!

There's my new wallpaper!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.